CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-15-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Adam Levenson

Profile:
Seriously, I have started trying the zone and I am starving. What is funny is while eatting my meals, I eat my fill or well what I would actually consider over eatting.

First background:

I am 67 to 68 inches tall, 150 ibs. 30 inch waist 6 inch wrist. Dr. Sear website puts me between 9% to 12% body fat.

I do Brazilian Ju Jitsu 3 to 5 times a week for over an hour.

I started doing cross fit last week.

I sleep about 4 to 6 hours on week nights and about 10 hours on friday and saturday.

Honestly, the biggest change is I started eatting breakfast and now I cant get past 8:30 am till I want to eat again. Eatting a snack such as nuts or a fruit does not help.

Breakfast has so far consisted of 2 whole eggs, + 1 whole fruit(apple, bannana, whatever) And some sort of fat in the form of nuts or olive oil.

If you need more info please ask, and reply soon because this sucks.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
How many blocks are you supposed to eat per day? I'd imagine that you wouldn't be eating less than 4 block meals, but you're only having about a 2 block breakfast. My advice (take with a grain of salt, I just started the Zone as well), multiply your breakfast by 2, 4 eggs at least and 2 whole fruits plus the fat, and get the CFJ issue 21 if you haven't yet.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #3
Josh Brehm

Profile:
O, and welcome to CF!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
Adam Levenson

Profile:
Thing is I never ate breakfast before, and now I am more hungery that I am.

Second, more than 2 eggs and an apple is alot of food. The www.drsears.com page says I should be 15 blocks per day. I just do not know that I could injest that much food. It seems alot for my little tummy.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:
I thought 1 whole egg was two blocks. One piece of fruit may not be enough carb blocks and probably too high in GI so it ain't sticking with you.

Are you "Hungry with mental focus" if so, try some veggies or beans with breakfast too.

IMO breakfast is the hardest ZONE meal.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
Bob Long

Profile:
Hey, one whole egg isn't a block at all. All the eggs I've seen are sort of this oval/roundish shape.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
Larry Cook

Profile:
I agree, breakfast is a tough meal, particularly for a society that seems to pride itself on skipping it.

Sears recommends eating pretty evenly throughout the day. I'm not sure what your schedule looks like, but what I find works well for me is to have a 2 block snack (what you have now .. 2 eggs/fruit/nuts) first thing in the morning (0630) and then a 3 block meal around 0900. If I am doing a workout in the morning, the 2 block snack gives me some energy, but does not seem to slow me down. The 3 block meal carries me pretty easily to lunch. I'm at 15 blocks.

For food choices, try some oatmeal (steel cut) ... that sticks with me a little better than fruit. Per the block chart in the FAQ: 1 large egg = 1 block protein.

Also, you seem pretty lean and active already, so you may need to go straight to 2x or 3x fat blocks, which many folks here do.

If this is still not working, and if you thought you were doing okay before without breakfast (a variation of intermittent fasting), you could also go back to that and just eat your blocks in a tighter window.

Good luck!

p.s. 4 - 6 hrs sleep and I'd be a basket case … ah, to be 24 again.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
Adam Levenson

Profile:
Oh, I am tired, but my hobbies + work do not allow for more sleep.

Up at 5 am for workout and daily prep.

At work by 7 (1 hr commute)

Home by 5

Ju Jitsu Most Nights by 6

Then swing dancing or social life come 8...it hurts and I suffer. Hence, why week ends are my sleep blocks.

Before finding this page, I was eatting mostly simular to this. Cutting all white bread/noodles, eatting mostly vegatables with meat as a suppliment.

I would eat around noon lightly, then heavily at 8 or 9 pm. Bed at midnight. I think this may simply be an adjustment period.

Also if someone could link me to the short beginners guide to the zone. I read it earlier this week and seem to have lost it.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I think you need to calculate your caloric usage for the week and then look at what calories you are taking in, just to get an overall check. Sounds like you could be burning 2000 calories per day just from exercise, then you have your basal metabolism and other daily activities. I'd be surprised if, just to stay at your current weight, you didn't need 3500-5000 calories (I haven't done the calculation so this is a WAG). This could explain why you're hungry -- your body is telling you to eat more.

(Message edited by eroyce on May 15, 2006)