CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
Sean McLeod

Profile:
Competition bumper durability

I'm looking to purchasing some competition bumpers from mdusa since they are having their 4th of July sale. But I was reading up on some reviews and it seems a lot of people have had issues with the inserts becoming loose even if the bolts are tightened. Those reviews were a from a few ears ago though so I was wondering if the quality has gotten better. I also competed in a powerlifting meet two weeks ago and in the warm up room they had some competition bumpers and some of the inserts were completely blown out.

I don't plan on doing wods with these. They will be mainly used for Olympic lifting on a platform between 3 people.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
Mike Hollister

Profile:
Re: Competition bumper durability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McLeod View Post
I'm looking to purchasing some competition bumpers from mdusa since they are having their 4th of July sale. But I was reading up on some reviews and it seems a lot of people have had issues with the inserts becoming loose even if the bolts are tightened. Those reviews were a from a few ears ago though so I was wondering if the quality has gotten better. I also competed in a powerlifting meet two weeks ago and in the warm up room they had some competition bumpers and some of the inserts were completely blown out.

I don't plan on doing wods with these. They will be mainly used for Olympic lifting on a platform between 3 people.
I have the MDUSA bumpers and I have a couple weights w/ lose inserts. I've had my bumpers a year or so. It doesn't bother me that much. I only use mine for me and my wife in the garage, not heavy use at all.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I have had the black elites now for about 3 years. Use them in my garage and they are the only plates I own. I use them for lifting and regular Crossfit type stuff.

Never had an issue with them at all. The 10kg/25# ones are pretty thin and I doubt they hold up well at a regular affiliate where they likely get pounded but for me they have been fine.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

I have a competition set and most of the plates center hubs are loose. If I were to do it again I would have spent a little more and gone with Rogue.