CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Carrie Beauchamp

Profile:  
I will try to keep this short and to the point. I have been following CrossFit for 3 months and the Zone for 2 months. I have seen great results in performance and in body composition but I have a couple of questions that I have not been able to figure out regarding nutrition and ideal bodyweight for the past month.

Do I need to eat more blocks a day or stay the same?
and
Is a goal weight of 120 lbs. realistic?

Currently I am following an 11 block plan. I break it up into 3-3-2-3. After 4 days of feeling good and staying in the zone with no cravings and feeling satisfied I become extremely hungry and obsessed with nuts and peanut butter. I am actually finding myself consuming a jar of PNB with in 24 hours when I have these feelings. Each week I tell myself that I am not going to do that again and I get back into the zone. Then 4-5 days later with weight down to 127 I find that I have an uncontrollable urge to eat nuts like crazy and I my body will not quit obsessing about it until my body weight goes back to 130 lbs.

My current exercise routine/lifestyle is:
Run 10 – 15 miles / week (3 runs – intervals, long and slow, short and moderate)
Bike 20 – 30 miles / week (10 mile ride home from work – easy to moderate pace)
Crossfit WOD (modified as needed – Jumping/Assisted Pull-ups, regular push-ups, 65lbs thrusters, 45lb push presses, are some of my modifications)
Job – Teach elementary physical education classes daily in which I actively participate/demonstrate.

My current body measurements are:
Body weight: 131 (this morning after over eating PNB and also cheese and bread for two days, it was 127 Thursday morning after 4 days in the zone) (Starting weight in Jan. was 136ish)
Height: 5’3”
Waist: 28.5
Hips: 36.5
Zone calculator BF%: 24 LBM: 98.7 (I believe this % is a little off. If I were to have my skinfolds measured I feel like I would be 20 – 22 % BF.)

What have I tried?
Eyeballing at first but went to measuring everything. It drives my husband crazy.
Limiting fruit to 1 block a meal if I eat fruit.
2x fat when Protein source is non-fat.
2x fat with all meals but did not lose weight. It stayed at 130. I want to lose weight. (No nut binges recorded that week though.)

Any help in answering these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks CrossFitters for everything you have done so far for me. I look forward learning more.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
"2x fat with all meals but did not lose weight. It stayed at 130. I want to lose weight. (No nut binges recorded that week though.)"

I think this might be the path you need to take. The key is not to worship at the altar of bodyweight, but body compostion. Who cares if you are still at 130 if you are trading fat for muscle? Gnawing hunger that has me seeking out fat (almonds for me) has been a sign for me to up my fat content in the past.

My hunch is that your block count is fine, but there are far more experienced people (Nicole) at judging these things.

My two cents.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:08 AM   #3
Carrie Beauchamp

Profile:  
Thanks for your insight Chris.
I am going to try 2x fat for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
Carrie
Old 03-12-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I don't want to be too personal but is everything normal with menstrual cycles, etc.? That would be a clear sign that you are doing too much too quickly. Women are meant to have much higher body fat than men and your body could be going into survival mode ("nuts" if you forgive the pun) as a result of calorie deprivation.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Carrie Beauchamp

Profile:  
Elliot,
Menstrual cycles are normal. However, I have noticed that they have been lighter compared to previous cycles.
I do take birth control but have considered coming off it. I have been using it for 7 years.

I am starting to think that after 2 months of trying to get down to 120 that I am meant to be 130. This is the lowest weight that I have been in 10 years and can't seem to go further down with out my body telling me to eat something.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Genevieve Gornicki

Profile:
Yeah, cycles can go lighter or stop all together, when i started crossfit I was hitting it fullforce as well as keeping a strict zone diet, and unfortunately I havn't had my period for over a year now. It is hard to get it back once its gone because you of course have to slow down a little with working out and probably eat more, which of course you might not want to do. A bad bad cycle especially when you get concerned with weight too much. If you double the fat your body will use it no doubt because women DO need more fat for babies and whatnot. Listen to your body. Peanut butter if it is your weakness, get rid of it in the house for a few weeks, replace it with real nuts you have to shell (nore time consuming) and you may end up eating less when you do crack (it happens from time to time) so dont worry, you have already done something very positive in training and following a healthier diet than in the past.
Also a doctor tols me thaat once your period goes away you can become more at risk for osteoporosis.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
Genevieve Gornicki

Profile:
oh, also check your BMI (body mass index) a healthy one for a woman is around 20-25%. Lower than that, and your body may start to get kinks: (go into starvation mode (lowered metabolism), loss of period, depression, skin problems) a big can of worms. The pill may be the only thing keeping you having your period as well, this is what was suggested to me for bringing mine back even though my body still isnt in the right condition to have one. I dont mean to blab on and on, but i just know how unpleasant it can be to have something like that not working in ones body and wouldn't want it to happen to anyone else.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
Carrie Beauchamp

Profile:  
Thanks for the insight Gigi.

I will definetly look for the almonds in the shell.

I have always been obsessed with food. It is funny how when I realize that sugary foods trigger me to eat more and I cut them out that it is replaced with a new obsession of crunchy natural PNB.

I wander if I came off Birth control if I would lose my period. I might talk to my doctor about this during my next check up.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Another thought is to monitor the body fat more closely through calipers (or the nutritionist at the gym). With all you do, it wouldn't be surprising for you to be converting fat into muscle, while not loosing weight. Anyone can lose weight -- it's gaining muscle in relation to fat that is tougher.

I also think you might consider whether the whole "package" -- your health, your appearance, your strength, your energy -- is already in tune and if so, why obsess about another 10lbs?
Old 03-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
Marissa Ray

Profile:  
my thoughts-

avoid peanut butter. nuts are somewhat allergenic in general, pb is worse than most. you could try whole nuts, but my first advice would be to train yourself to get most of your fats from oils- olive, coconut, canola- incorporated into your regular meals. i've had some similar experiences.

consider 1.5x fat. to me, 1x fat and 2x fat seem very far apart. i usually go with 1.5x. i include more fat at a meal once in a while, probably at least once a week, but for me it seems key to focus on richer meats and good oils, rather than getting into the nuts, seeds, or pb.

also, sounds like a lot of exercise for the amount of calories. if your body is too stressed in general or experiencing too large of a calorie deficit, that can encourage the body to hold on to some extra weight. it might really help to scale back and focus your exercise routine.