CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
Steven Thunander

Profile:
Rogue bar 2.0

Rogue just released its revamped Rogue Bar 2.0....

http://www.roguefitness.com/the-rogue-bar-2-0

From what I can see, this bar is exactly the same as the Ohio bar 1.2 Black/Bright Zinc, with the protector on the sleeves.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Joey Allen

Profile:
Re: Rogue bar 2.0

That's one puurdy bar.. The price is nice, too.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Snir Golan

Profile:

while i love having options and choices, i am becoming overwhelmed with the bar choices that Rogue offers. i will be in the market for a new bar in a few weeks and now i have to decide between the Rogue Bar, the Froning bar, the Ohio bar and i a few others that i am probably forgetting

i will say this, the new bar looks awesome.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Bryan Selent

Profile:

I wonder if Rogue is going to begin machining that groove on all of their bars and assigning a color to each bar. It would make sense, and one would be able to look across a gym and ID a Rogue Bar, Chan Bar, Ohio Bar just by the color. Its also another neat way to customize your own bar.

I wonder who is going to be the first to offer "custom" rubber bands at $30 a pair for your Rogue bar...

The price drop is great too. Rogue can now compete with FringeSport and Again Faster in the "all around affordable" bar category.

If I was in the market for a new barbell, this one would be on top of my list.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Daniel OBrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
while i love having options and choices, i am becoming overwhelmed with the bar choices that Rogue offers. i will be in the market for a new bar in a few weeks and now i have to decide between the Rogue Bar, the Froning bar, the Ohio bar and i a few others that i am probably forgetting
Agreed. I also don't like that some bars are identical except for coloring and get different names (i.e. the Operator Bar is the Rogue Bar with a different color scheme). Maybe they need a chart or something so that people can line it up with what they want? Right now, there are a lot of bars that are pretty darn similar to each other and that makes it confusing.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
William Henniger

Profile:

What you guys are saying I agree with. Some of the things that are happening took a long time to get done. Over the past couple years we invested heavily in new machining equipment so that we could run all of our bar shafts and sleeves in house.

Next step was to go to 1 main steel variant and that is the 190K Rogue spec steel. We will have a couple variants that go above that to a stiffer Power Bar and to put any claim that another brand of OLY bar has "better" steel.

I am headed out to Cali for the games but will work on an easy to read matrix that explains the bars and which to choose. There are few variants that are going to be discontinued and a few that already have.

------

In short the Ohio bar is a classic bar with classic components built with a ton of pride at our factory. The Rogue Bar 2.0 is something developed based on some engineering studies we have done with strain gauges and drop test studies. That coupled with an easy way to identify and customize the bar is something I have wanted to do for a really long time.

Bars like the Operator bar are just a color variant of the Ohio bar at this point.

We are working on an Echo bar which references an Econ line - that being said it will most likely still have the 190K steel in it.

I know that was probably more information than you needed but hopefully it answers some of your questions.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
What you guys are saying I agree with. Some of the things that are happening took a long time to get done. Over the past couple years we invested heavily in new machining equipment so that we could run all of our bar shafts and sleeves in house.

Next step was to go to 1 main steel variant and that is the 190K Rogue spec steel. We will have a couple variants that go above that to a stiffer Power Bar and to put any claim that another brand of OLY bar has "better" steel.

I am headed out to Cali for the games but will work on an easy to read matrix that explains the bars and which to choose. There are few variants that are going to be discontinued and a few that already have.

------

In short the Ohio bar is a classic bar with classic components built with a ton of pride at our factory. The Rogue Bar 2.0 is something developed based on some engineering studies we have done with strain gauges and drop test studies. That coupled with an easy way to identify and customize the bar is something I have wanted to do for a really long time.

Bars like the Operator bar are just a color variant of the Ohio bar at this point.

We are working on an Echo bar which references an Econ line - that being said it will most likely still have the 190K steel in it.

I know that was probably more information than you needed but hopefully it answers some of your questions.

Thanks,

Bill

it does Bill so thank you for that. my plan was to give you guys a call and pick your brains anyway but a chart would be very useful.

so would you say that the best choice for a "general bar" for a Crossfitter is either the Ohio, Froning or Rogue 2.0? i just want a bar that is good at everything, doesn't have to be best at olympic or best for deadlifting.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
Robert Le

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
Rogue just released its revamped Rogue Bar 2.0....

http://www.roguefitness.com/the-rogue-bar-2-0

From what I can see, this bar is exactly the same as the Ohio bar 1.2 Black/Bright Zinc, with the protector on the sleeves.
what is this "protector" ?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
Daniel OBrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
so would you say that the best choice for a "general bar" for a Crossfitter is either the Ohio, Froning or Rogue 2.0? i just want a bar that is good at everything, doesn't have to be best at olympic or best for deadlifting.
Aren't the Ohio, 28.5mm Froning and the Rogue 2.0 pretty much the same bar except for cosmetics and finishes? I guess the Rogue 2.0 has composite bushings instead of bronze in the other two. All 3 are 20kg, 28.5mm, dual knurling marks, no center knurl, 190k steel, bushing bars.

EDIT: I would love to see another powerlifting bar. I currently own a Rogue Chan Bar and a TPB, but kinda want to replace the TPB. I don't really consider the Rogue Power Bar on par with the TPB, Westside and Westside Econ bars (155k steel vs. 205k for Rogue Westside offerings). Maybe an update to the Rogue Power Bar (RPB)?

And while I'm spouting off, how about an affordable deadlift bar? Or is that too PL specific? Most of the DL specific bars are $400+

Last edited by Daniel OBrien : 07-14-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
William Henniger

Profile:

Will give you the abbreviated versions:

1) Signature Bars like the Froning and/or Burgener Bearing are just that signature series bars with our standard chassis'

Exception to this would be the Chan bar, he designed it out to have different knurl and a few other attributes.

2) Ohio Bar is a classic bar, very well built and has a bronze bushing. Clean and classic look. This was the first bar fully built at our new machining department.

The Rogue Bar 2.0 has the same chassis but with different components like the machined groove sleeve and composite bushings.

So in the end it is sort of Old School vs New School.

3) Rogue Bar 2.0 Sleeve - The machined groove was made so you can put a band in there and be able to customize them. The band can be purchased pretty much anywhere online so you could put your gym name or just about anything you want. Best purpose for this in my opinion is color coding if a gym setting, tell client go grab the "blue" bar vs a 20KG bar.

It is not made to protect the sleeve(not a protectant), that to me would be telling people to drop an empty bar - that would offend the barbell gods.

It also looks really cool, so you have that!

Let me know if you guys/gals have any other questions. I am getting ready to fly to Cali for the games but am checking this.

Thanks

Bill