CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
Brad Allen Jones
Banned Brad Allen Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon  MI
Posts: 4,706
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
\

I got a little sidetracked on gaining recently between some busy weeks at work and getting used to new high-volume weightlifting program, but I think I'm starting to get back on the gain train now.
CHOOO CHOOO!!!!!!!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
Jeff Enge
Banned Jeff Enge is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Collinsville  IL
Posts: 5,542
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
CHOOO CHOOO!!!!!!!!!
You like that one?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #23
Luke Sirakos
Member Luke Sirakos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dallas  TX
Posts: 858
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
I'd suggest 3 days of CF if you MUST do it, and at 3 days of heavy barbell work. Recovery will be important so I'd suggest NOT doing CF on days after lifting heavy.

As far as food, try having a PB&J with a glass of milk every night before bed, in addition to what everyone else is suggesting.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to ask your coach. If he/she knows what he/she is doing, they will know that taking time to focus on strength and weight gain will only help you in the long run. Maybe they have a barbell club, who knows?
If he wants to build size heavy barbell work is only going to do so much. You don't promote hypertrophy lifting heavy singles. The idea lift big eat big is a bit flawed, it isn't quite that simple.
__________________
Deadlift: 475 | Back Squat: 405 | Front Squat: 320
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #24
Brad Allen Jones
Banned Brad Allen Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon  MI
Posts: 4,706
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
If he wants to build size heavy barbell work is only going to do so much. You don't promote hypertrophy lifting heavy singles. The idea lift big eat big is a bit flawed, it isn't quite that simple.
I never once said he shouldn't do any isolation work or other lifts. I also never said anything about doing singles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #25
Brad Allen Jones
Banned Brad Allen Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon  MI
Posts: 4,706
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
You like that one?
Love it. Keep up the great work friend.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #26
Eric Preston
Member Eric Preston is offline
 
Eric Preston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 15
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

Alright... it's 9:20am. As of 10:30am my intake will be as follows:

1. oatmeal w/ protein powder
2. banana (on drive to work)
3. Clif Bar covered in 1 tblspn creamy peanut butter

Total Cals: 771
Carbs: 478 (122.6g) - 60%
Protein: 149 (37.5g) - 19%
Fats: 173 (19.2g) - 22%

I plan to go to the weightlifting workout at my box tonight... here's what the workout looks like:

PART 1:
5x2 (2+1) Clean High Pull + Hang Clean (below knee) heaviest possible, rest 90 sec.

PART 2:
5x3 Pause Snatch First Pulls heaviest possible, rest 60-90 sec.

PART 3: For Time
a. Run 200m, 21 HSPU, 21 KB Snatches (70/53#)
b. Run 200m, 15 HSPU, 15 KB Snatches (70/53#)
c. Run 200m, 9 HSPU, 9 KB Snatches (70/53#)

I definitely feel full... This might be harder than I thought! haha. I think it's a good start though. Thanks for all the help!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #27
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
If he wants to build size heavy barbell work is only going to do so much. You don't promote hypertrophy lifting heavy singles. The idea lift big eat big is a bit flawed, it isn't quite that simple.
Who said singles? Chowing and hitting 5x5 = moar awesome at everything.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #28
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Preston View Post
Alright... it's 9:20am. As of 10:30am my intake will be as follows:

1. oatmeal w/ protein powder
2. banana (on drive to work)
3. Clif Bar covered in 1 tblspn creamy peanut butter

Total Cals: 771
Carbs: 478 (122.6g) - 60%
Protein: 149 (37.5g) - 19%
Fats: 173 (19.2g) - 22%

I plan to go to the weightlifting workout at my box tonight... here's what the workout looks like:

PART 1:
5x2 (2+1) Clean High Pull + Hang Clean (below knee) heaviest possible, rest 90 sec.

PART 2:
5x3 Pause Snatch First Pulls heaviest possible, rest 60-90 sec.

PART 3: For Time
a. Run 200m, 21 HSPU, 21 KB Snatches (70/53#)
b. Run 200m, 15 HSPU, 15 KB Snatches (70/53#)
c. Run 200m, 9 HSPU, 9 KB Snatches (70/53#)

I definitely feel full... This might be harder than I thought! haha. I think it's a good start though. Thanks for all the help!
I would consider adding slow lifts too. Squat 5x5's, bench, press, rows. These are going to be your bread and butter on gainz.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #29
Luke Sirakos
Member Luke Sirakos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dallas  TX
Posts: 858
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Who said singles? Chowing and hitting 5x5 = moar awesome at everything.
Nothing wrong with something like 5x5, it is just not a workout that promotes hypertrophy. Lifting heavy does not always equal getting big (assuming adequate calories).
__________________
Deadlift: 475 | Back Squat: 405 | Front Squat: 320
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #30
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

5x5 will promote hypertrophy in most people. You can always take the Russian Bear approach too if you want to maximixe the swolertrophy. I have put on 35lbs doing 5x5 type programming for the majority of my training. Depends on what a person responds to I guess.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Im 14 and Want to get bigger Chris Dufour Starting 51 12-22-2009 12:33 PM
Getting Bigger using CF??? Joey McIninch Fitness 9 09-06-2006 06:27 AM
Getting bigger while using cf Marc Johnson Starting 13 01-28-2006 01:45 PM
Ectomorph question Andrew Hutton Fitness 5 12-04-2003 11:44 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.