CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:
Re: Anybody done LASIK?

I had PRK done in July '12. It's been miraculous. I went from 20/blind as a bat to 20/15 in right and 20/25 in left.

My (non-medical) advice is to do your research into the facility and doctors providing the service, whether PRK or LASIK. There are differences in what procedures they will do, how severe they are willing to correct, whether or not they accept insurance, etc. Ask people where you live for referrals.

All that being said, if you go with LASIK you'll be loving life almost immediately. If you go with PRK, you'll need a good family/friend support system for several days afterward. For example, I wasn't allowed to drive for the first week--and didn't want to attempt it.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pasewicz View Post
I had PRK done in July '12. It's been miraculous. I went from 20/blind as a bat to 20/15 in right and 20/25 in left.

My (non-medical) advice is to do your research into the facility and doctors providing the service, whether PRK or LASIK. There are differences in what procedures they will do, how severe they are willing to correct, whether or not they accept insurance, etc. Ask people where you live for referrals.

All that being said, if you go with LASIK you'll be loving life almost immediately. If you go with PRK, you'll need a good family/friend support system for several days afterward. For example, I wasn't allowed to drive for the first week--and didn't want to attempt it.
I'm an Optometrist. I describe PRK as the "crockpot" and LASIK as the "microwave". You get beef stew for dinner with both, one just takes a bit longer, ie same outcome but different routes to get there. LASIK is quicker recovery, but much more manipulation of the cornea and more dependent on pre-op thickness. PRK takes a bit longer, but is better for corneas that are too thin for LASIK. The patient has much more of a post-operative medication regimine than with LASIK, so you have think about medication compliance.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #13
Richard Foote

Profile:

Another PRK advocate here...had it done back in 08, corrected from 20/200 to 20/15 both eyes, still 20/15 now 5 years later.

As has been said, quality of life without EVER worrying about glasses or contacts is phenomenal. The first morning I woke up without pain (about a week after the procedure) and could see my alarm clock clearly was amazing! Seems like a small thing, but having work glasses from age 7 to age 32...the "new me" was pretty awesome.

If you go the route of PRK, make sure you advise the doc if you're sensitive to any pain meds...and keep a few bags of frozen peas on hand for pain management. The week of recovery can suck, but it's worth it.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
Mara Rozitis

Profile:

I had LASIK done in 08 and am very happy with the results. I was not very happy with the actual prep and procedure, and as someone counseled, do your homework because not all clinics are created equal. It was very painful for me and the pre-op counseling was almost non-existent. I also had a bad reaction to the drops, which prolonged my recovery by quite a bit. Overall I'm glad I had it done, though, because despite all that I have 20/20 vision in both eyes. I could already see better when I sat up on the operating table. It's quite a miracle. Yes, you would have to wear protective glasses for quite a while if you wanted to do anything that might cause contact with an eye.