CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-03-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
Kyle Short

Profile:  
While speaking with a few individuals today about nutrition they asked me two basic questions that I thought silly at first, but after consideration I did not have good answers for them...your thoughts?

1) If you want to eat food in its natural state alla paleo and organic...why not raw? Surely cooking changes the molecular state of the food...

2) Why not eat Vegan...if a Gorilla can be huge, powerful and healthy eating this way, why not humans?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
Scott Duff

Profile:  
I'll start the ball rolling here.

1. I think on the raw part its a question of bacteria, if we could take our bow/spear and kill an animal, I am sure the meat (from a healthy animal, a diseased animal may have parasites that would be a different story) could be eaten in the raw state right away. In modern times we don't have the luxury ie. How long does it take and what steps has the meat gone through from the slaughterhouse/processing plant to your table?

2.There are lots of vegans out the who are doing fine. Mike Mahler for one (www.mikemahler.com) I wouldn't argue with him, I am certain he would kick my ***, he might even have a chance with a gorilla.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:27 PM   #3
Pat Janes

Profile:

1. Completely agree with Scott. If you can find pure, unadulterated, no added chemical free range meat, then you can probably eat it raw, no problem. But I'll keep cooking mine anyway, thanks.

2. Short answer - you're not a gorilla. As per Scott again; Mike Mahler is indeed huge, on a vegan diet, but he supplements (I'm guessing quite a bit) with things like rice protein powder. You can get sufficient macronutrients from a vegetarian diet, even vegan, but it's really hard work - I found it hard enough even allowing for eggs and dairy (I ate a LOT of eggs).
Old 08-04-2005, 05:20 AM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
#1. From what I understand, cooking does slightly change some of the molecular structure of plant foods, which can be good. That's why most people advocate eating raw, boiled, steamed, etc to get a good mix.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:27 AM   #5
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
1. Variety
2. Satiety
3. Safety

In that order :happy:

For some reason, warm food, makes me feel fuller and more satisfied, both physically and psychologically.
(With that said, so stuff I cook as little as possible so as to preserve that initial taste.)
Old 08-04-2005, 05:53 AM   #6
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
I am in the middle of a really interesting book called The Primal Feast. In in, the author talks about the feeding habits of several types of tropical monkeys. What researchers discovered is that the fruit with one bite out of it that litters the base of the trees is not the monkeys being wasteful. They are being very finicky and are actually LOOKING for the fruit that has the worm in it. Apparently they are actively in search of the hit of protein and B vitamins that the worm provides. Puts "eat like your primate ancestors" in a whole new light. :wink:
moral of the story...eat the worm!!
Old 08-04-2005, 06:06 AM   #7
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Nice post Kathryn. Now I have an excuse to finish that bottle of tequila!!:crazy:

Cheers, kempie
Old 08-04-2005, 06:22 AM   #8
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Changing the molecular structure of the vegetables and other foods can be a good thing too. Take potatoes and the potato family. They are toxic to humans in a raw state, and cooking destroys the toxicity. Also, have you ever eaten raw chicken? I have, don't do it. And don't drink and grill.

You can be any kind of eater you want to be. The trick is, you will need to make up for lost protein and other nutrients which your body craves but cannot get from vegetables. It becomes hard and annoying in some cases, but it can be done!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:22 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Beyondveg.com. Veg athlete very rare (no pun intended).
Old 08-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #10
Mark Roughton

Profile:
I second Pat's short answer. Gorillas are pretty close genetic cousins, but they're not human. That tiny bit of genetic difference is really a pretty huge gap. Genetically speaking, we're closer to whales than birds -- we're both mammals, after all -- so by the same logic, we should be able to get *really* huge and powerful on a diet of raw plankton.

Humans *can* get adequate protein from a vegetarian diet, even a vegan diet, but you have to eat a lot of mixed grains and vegetables. And by a lot, I mean a whole lot. Most folks on the zone have discovered you have to eat enough vegetables to choke a horse just to meet your carb requirements. To meet your daily caloric requirement with vegetables, not to mention your carb and protein requirements, you have to eat just like a gorilla -- pounds and pounds of vegetables, all day, every day. But even if a person could eat anywhere near the amount of food a gorilla eats, the gorilla will always be bigger, because their bodies can synthesize amino acids ours can't, their digestive systems can break down cellulose better than ours can, and because, you know, they're gorillas.

On the other hand, if you were to feed a gorilla nothing but Twinkies and Coke for a few years, he'd probably start looking pretty human.