CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Adrienne McPhaul

Profile:
Accutane

Does anyone have experience with continuing to train while taking Accutane for cystic acne or an experience you can relate with halting training while taking Accutane? Thanks!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Accutane

I would be more concerned about the drug itself vs. training on it.

Ask your pharmacist
Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Adrienne McPhaul

Profile:

Frank, if I didn't know anything about the drug I wouldn't be asking for personal experiences with training (or not training) while on it.

I'm not asking if it works; I'm not asking for other side effects--I'm specifically interested in hearing how it has affected the training of anyone else who CrossFits (and that doesn't include my pharmacist).

There have been several other threads on the CF board discussing whether or not it is effective so I'm assuming there are some people out there that could offer comment.

Thanks for your input!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Here's a good thread about acne and all types of treatments: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=27490 (wfs)
One guy talks about Accutane causing sore muscles and aching joints.

As a teenager my dermatologist recommended Accutane for my acne. My brother had already been on it, so I knew a little about the side effects. I asked about other options, and he prescribed tetracycline instead.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne McPhaul View Post
Frank, if I didn't know anything about the drug I wouldn't be asking for personal experiences with training (or not training) while on it.

I'm not asking if it works; I'm not asking for other side effects--I'm specifically interested in hearing how it has affected the training of anyone else who CrossFits (and that doesn't include my pharmacist).

There have been several other threads on the CF board discussing whether or not it is effective so I'm assuming there are some people out there that could offer comment.

Thanks for your input!
good luck.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

My son was on accutane during his junior year in high school. He was a 4 sport athlete, and it had no noticable affect on his sports/training.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Joe Flick

Profile:

I was on it thru HS while playing in sports year round. I vaguely remember some joint soreness- but nothing major. My biggest memory of it was of severe dehydration. Dryness in skin, eyes, and nose. Compared to all the other prescribed drugs, Accutane was the only thing that worked for me. Good Luck.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Adrienne McPhaul

Profile:

Thanks to all of you for the information!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

just to mimic some of what's already been said, I underwent two separate treatments of accutane while in high school. I wasn't working out back then, but I was skateboarding daily for hours at a time. the dryness of the skin, mouth, lips, etc. sucked and I remember drinking water constantly. but I don't remember it ever hindering my activities / activity levels. keep the water and the carmex handy! my lips used to rip at the seems. good times! the medication worked wonders to clear up my skin though when nothing else worked...and I was on a lot of other meds prior to accutane. it seems to be catching a bad rep the last couple of years...haven't personally looked into it though. best of luck!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Joshua Baldovino

Profile:

^^ Like rob and the others have said. I've used accutane roughly about 3-4 years ago. At the time I was training mixed martial arts and doing powerlifting. Accutane has no real effects on my training, but the dryness of my skin and lips were the worst part. It sometimes felt like my skin was burning. (Probably not the best thing). But after a few months of treatment my acne was completely gone and hasn't come back since.

Good luck and I hope you make the right decision for yourself.