CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #31
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Re: Using Gloves in Crossfit

I used to tear somewhat frequently, then I got a callus shaver at the recommendation of one of our coaches, I've gone months without an issue now:

http://www.tweezerman.com/store/prod...ver-with-rasp/ WFS

I also keep a pumice stone in the shower that I use at the end of my shower when my hands are soft to take off excess skin, and those black emery boards to clean up after I use the callus shaver. That, along w moisturizing them a few times a day w gold bond ultimate hand cream.

It's a lot of maintenance I guess if you're used to doing none, but it literally only takes a few minutes a day and it makes all the difference in the world.

Only time I use any type of gloves is when I do heavy dead lifts, I'll break out my grip pads. http://www.gripad.com/ WFS
Old 02-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #32
Omar F. Cordero

Profile:

As a maker of a True Athletic Glove or as some call it Crossfit Gloves. I have to say comments from forums and public chats are highly respected. Just wanted to fill in some information since studies have been done from this particular issue. Do you always need them: That depends on the user, some feel more comfortable using them allowing them to finish the workout and fatigue your muscles for improvement which is the ultimate goal.

We have seen many who just wonít use it for various reasons. Needs to match your purse, excess material, hand fatigue, need to build callouses for stronger skin, not very Manly ect. All of which is Ok and respected. It goes back to, depends on the user.

Some reasons to use it or have handy in your gym tool box.
There are professionals who just canít have their hands ripped or exposed especially in a business environment, just not very pleasant especially if you have to shake someoneís hands.

Another serious reason to use gloves is for doctors or nurses who crossfit. A ripped hand is not very hygienic especially when you are dealing with sick people and potential bacteria all around.
I have seen numerous hardcore athletes over the years turn positive on the attitude towards gloves in crossfit. One especially is in competitions after grueling movements over and over many hands do rip spewing blood all over and hanging skin from the hands. In these cases many athletes use the glove to cover the injury and continue in their movements effectively. Which was the case with some crossfit games athletes last year.
I remember a time when weight belts where frown upon using in crossfit and remember seeing blogs and forums giving reasons why not to use it. With the evolution of the sport of crossfit it is now more common seeing it in competition especially for their safety. The same goes with gloves as you saw in last yearís games with many athletes wearing the reebok gloves. Yet as these gloves where given to them by Reebok for being recognized as the top in the world, the athletes knew when to use it and for what movements.

It is still essential to train your hands rough on the bars and take care of the callous. Itís a critical part of crossfit training.

Yet, at some point hands will give and rip the skin maybe around the softer skin taking with it the entire callous and surrounding skin with it. An Athlete should know when and what bar will cause that.

Donít use chalk it will dry your hands and increase damage to them. It will feel better with grip to a point but will certainly rip the skin right off if movements start to bring more friction and continue get demanding on the palms. There is a time for this if performing certain gymnastic moves or performing one rep maxes. Thatís ok.

Again you use gloves as you wish. Its preference. If performing one rep maxes, low volume movements or even trying to develop your rough hands a glove is really not that important.
Once the volume picks up especially in certain movements then itís a matter of preference for bloody hands or not.

We have seen over and over many Athletes who never used gloves say with frustration: they are tired of ripping their hands and just want to workout as it make no sense to continue to damage their hands for specific movements.

When StrongerRx created the RTG Gloves all those complains, frustration where taken into consideration to create the perfect glove for crossfit. No hand fatigue, eliminating bar disconnect, better grip, last longer and all around protection. All done with one thing in mind. Protection. But again, it just boils down to what an athlete wants.

In conclusion, we are all different. We like different foods, different shoes and drive different cars. Such as, base models or others with all-out technology packages. Some find the technology packages useless and unnecessary. Yet, others can't live without them. Same applies here.

Your gym bag is a tool box. Sometimes you need a wrench and sometimes you donít. Always nice to keep handy plenty of different tools for different situations.

We wish you all the best in this yearís coming competition :-)
Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #33
Dylan Farr

Profile:

Bledsoe and crew at Barbell shrugged in their latest podcast spoke about hand health. Pat Barber said the same thing I do, having torn hands means I can train as hard. Its stupid and not practical and what was surprising was his claim to how little he jacks his hands. I use gloves always will in certain capacities. The mark of an athlete to me isnt torn to heck hands, but consistency and quality of movements.

And prior poster, appreciate your input
Old 03-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #34
Mustafa Tahir

Profile:

Leave the gloves to the wannabe bodybuilders
Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #35
Tim Alford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa Tahir View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say that. I've seen Froning, Spealler, and a few others pull out the gloves when they do anything with a good amount of pull ups (over 100). There is definitely a time and a place for them. Work grip strength, work on getting those callouses, and take care of your hands when you're done.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #36
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa Tahir View Post
or use them when it makes sense so you can not injure yourself and continue training.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #37
Dylan Farr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
or use them when it makes sense so you can not injure yourself and continue training.
Thank you... the whole no pain no gain, ego bs makes us look dumb and uncultured as athletes.

Any of my athletes I coach or myself serve no good sitting on the side lines wingeing about them instead of putting work in.

The day the ego laced crossfitters realize its not pukie or holes in the hands but sustainable training and fitness, maybe the media wont pick them out as what we are and do, and chill out
Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #38
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:

Glove are a tool just like anything else. I use them for wall balls, push ups and burpees. Sometimes with kettelbells, sledge hammer stuff too. Flipping tires. My hands get real sweaty and tend to slide. Gloves help with that with that without the mess of chalk.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #39
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

With Crossfit going with so many pull ups, C2b, bar M/U, rind dips, ring M/U, walking on hands.. glove are getting to be needed. I have not found a glove that works for me yet. I have tried on the Reebok games size Large.. they did not fit my fat hands. I have a drawer full of cycling, home depot gloves.. anyone got any suggestions for a good set of gloves.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #40
Jacob Burns

Profile:

Batting gloves?