CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
I very much appreciated the information posted on the site regarding progress vs soreness. I am trying to step up my efforts, and find that when I am putting in an appropriate amount of effort, with resulting sore muscles (not overly sore), I toss and turn at night and keep my sweet husband awake. The next day, we both feel sleep deprived.

Is there any info. regarding taking say Ibuprofen when working out, and what effects it has on building muscle? I am not intending on taking large doses, but this would then be a regular routine. I know the side effects of stomach bleeding, if you take these drugs in large does, or if you happen to be one of the 4% of the population that are sensitive to these drugs and have problems with bleeding. Also I am aware of overdoses and the risk or kidney problems, but taking these only at night I think should not put me in this category.

I can deal with the sore muscles, but the sleep deprivation is the pits.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:46 AM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Bobbi, I'm no expert, but I'd be reluctant to resort to painkillers to tackle post-workout discomfort. Check this thread out:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/5111.html

There's a few ideas for recovery techniques there. I've seen other good threads on the subject as well, but I have no time to search at the moment because I'm at work!

I would advise exploring all non-painkiller avenues. I don't think the risks associated with ibuprofen should be a cause for concern, but it would be a shame to use it if there was another way around the problem.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
Peter: Thank You.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
Rick Burgess

Profile:
Bobbi,
I guess I'm not quite the purist, but I have no qualms about popping a motrin now and then to ease the aches and pains. Some of the guys I've served with refer to it as "Vitamin M" so I suppose you can take this too far. Our battalion doc would even give us the 800mg horse pills.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #5
James R. Climer

Profile:
I won't hesitate to use aspirin or ibuprofen if I'm pretty sure the pain is from these old joints...I can't see inflammation being any good there. I am reluctant if the pain is just good old sore muscles, although there are times the soreness is so intense it feels like that achy flu feeling, or it will make me feel depressed, then it helps immensely (these days are usually about two days after a comeback workout from a lay off).

I never take them pre-workout: I am afraid it will mask the onset of pain that should be yielded to before a serious injury occurs.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:53 PM   #6
Pat Janes

Profile:

I'm generally pretty reluctant to take drugs for exercise-induced pain. The only time I resort to Ibuprofen or something similar is when I get knee pain (ITBS) and/or some kind of joint related pain, as per James.

Contrast showers, iceing, massage etc will all take the edge off muscular soreness.

Everyone's pain threshold is different; mine is pretty high, I think, for the general population. But I would try to reserve the use of drugs for when you are experiencing real pain and not just (even severe) discomfort from muscular soreness.

The worst side-effect of the regular use of painkillers for the treatment of discomfort/soreness is that they will no longer work when you really need them. Stronger and greater quantities of drugs will be required to cope. All of the women on my wife's side of the family are an example of this. They have become resistant to the effects of even codeine based painkillers.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
Michael Street

Profile:
Though soreness is common with new movement patterns, we often see that if your macro/micro nutrient intake (input) does not match your activity levels (output) recovery problems exist – poor sleep, always drained, etc. Basically one ends up digging a hole (via training) and not backfilling it (via food intake).

How is your diet?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
Michael: On diet, I don't follow any of the fads, I eat real food nothing processed except chocolate milk after a workout. :-) I have had one cookie and three pretzels since Christmas. Mostly for protein three times a day I eat a palm size or smaller piece of chicken, fish, and occasionally eggs with half the yokes thrown out. If I eat other meat or low fat cheese, I cut the portion in half. Fresh smoked salmon is my favorite, since the leftovers are wonderful cold in the morning. I don't usually fry anything unless it is in a very small amount of peanut oil (it takes the heat better) or olive oil. I also eat a wide variety of nuts such as 15 cashews or equal in between meals. I eat no more than three pieces of fruit a day. The rest is non starch greens (with wine vinegar) and non starch veggies of dark color. I try not to buy repeat food from week to week in the veggie category. I don't eat any grains, rice or potato, it causes me to have zits, and since I cut them out I have dropped 30 lb., and I need to drop another forty. I only drink spring water or boiled tap water with lemon, and non fat milk. If it sounds boring, it's not, I am a very excellent cook. I eat one children's chewable vitamin, of course while I am eating something with fat, such as meat.

I see a lot of folks like me that are trying to get multiple parts of their life together at the same time (weight, fitness, and diet)! Perhaps my goals are unrealistic.

The diet lately has been slow going because I think I now have enough muscle to start really building some and think I have been putting on weight here. In the upper body I was a total wimp before I started working out. The muscle mass body changes have been slow, but are becoming evident.

Interesting you mention sleep, because here we circle back to my problem. When I don't drop some ibuprofen before bed, I don't sleep well. In the daytime, I am OK with pain, I have good coping skills. Not much keeps me from doing what I want. But I am a very light sleeper and every dang time I move, I wake up. Massage is good (my husband is wonderful to me), but it's not enough for good sleep.

Can someone expand on the topic of foam rollers?

Also, is there more specific information on how many and how long the cold showers should be? Oh mercy, I hate cold water!! If I am going to do this, I want the limited amount of time that gets results. Thanks to all of you for the advice.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #9
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
Issue #29 of the CrossFit journal might lend some good information.

The STICK which I like and Foam rollers fall under the category of MYOFASCIAL RELEASE. http://www.myofascial-release.com/

I roll around on my roller while visiting with the biscuit in the evening. My back will snap-crackle and pop into a functional state.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
Steve Lewis

Profile:  
Here is a link to T-Nation about various recovery methods, one of which is contrast showers:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=38F0B157474ECCD92C07035AB2 754F63 .titan?id=551687

There is also a write up about foam rollers:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=38F0B157474ECCD92C07035AB2 754F63 .titan?id=475832