CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Laura Head

Profile:
Can someone clarify where the hips are positioned in both these exercises. I see the example on the video where Nicole has the upper hamstring and glute off the pad and legs w/ a soft bend. Would that be the correct way to explain to someone when teaching the exercise? Back extension? Hips on the top of the pad for back extension and hips off the front for hip extension, legs straight? Is this right? Thanks, Laura
Old 05-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
I think your correct on back extension positioning. For GHD sit-ups, the video you watched of Nicole is good. If your butt doesn't extend past the pad (away from the feet), its much more difficult to get the range of motion. To initiate the upward portion of the movement, the legs should be straight, which activates the hip flexors. Actively straightening the leg will allow an almost explosive upward movement and help to stabilize the pelvis and protect the lumbar spine. The leg can be soft on the descent.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
Laura Head

Profile:
Thanks for the answer. It helps me understand better. In the GHD sit up, is the main mover the soas and the rectus femoris? Why do the abs get so sore? Is it on the descent? One more question: I have read Ripitoe's book "Starting Strength". I want to be able to intelligently answer someone when they counter me on squatting below parallel. Can you offer any advice on the response to someone who is questionong that safety. I am looking for a pretty specific answer that is anatomically sound, many of my clients are in the medical field. I want to make sure I have it right and understand it in my head before I go defending it and then sounding like an idiot. Thanks, Laura