CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #21
Bryan Kemper

Profile:
Re: competing for the cf games without doing crossfit?

Why is the term "constantly varied" ALWAYS intrepreted as random?

One can have variation in without randomization.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #22
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

Well, any group class (Crossfit or no) is "randomized" in the sense that it might be exactly what you need, and it might not be. The programming is done for a bunch of other people besides you, so the class you're going to today might or might not fix exactly to what you need to improve. Whether it does or not is random.

The good news is that you don't need the workouts to exactly fit your needs to get you into very good shape. Not even close, really. Do the movements you're doing require a reasonable amount of strength? Are all of your major muscle groups hit consistently, without over-training any one? Very good, and likely to be achieved if you go 3 or 4 times a week at a good affiliate. You'll end up with a very solid "base" of fitness. Compared to the average person on the street, you'll be way ahead.

(In fact, it's so easy to make big improvements early on. A newbie will make strength gains doing workouts like 45 135lb-ground-to-overheads for time or Diane (for time 45 225lb-deadlifts and 45 hand-stand-push-ups) even though that isn't what those workouts were intended to do. No, those workouts won't give you a 275lb C&J or a 500lb deadlift, but you won't get weak either.)

A specialized program tailored to your specific strengths and weaknesses will always beat out a randomized program though. If you're competing in an elite level, you need that extra advantage, so you take it, with your own program.

Last edited by Michael Capalbo : 08-03-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #23
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post

If you don't have a protocol for the variation I would call it randomization. Others might calling it pulling things out of a hat and lets see what we come up with.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #24
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McRobie View Post
Ive seen videos of Rich, Ben and Graham who while i wouldnt call it completely random, listen to their body and from there just go hmm this one looks good ill try that.... sounds fairly random to me? and they are at more than respectable levels...
There is a big difference between pulling exercises and rep schemes out of a hat and selectively chosing exercises/rep schemes based on the day's goals. For example, on Mondays we do heavy back squats followed by a short metcon. I don't just randomly pick exercises, that would be stupid. Instead, I'll do a couple with maybe heavy KB swings and burpees. Did I "randomly" make up the WOD? I suppose you could say that, but did it meet the requirements of what I was trying to accomplish in the gym that day? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
If you don't have a protocol for the variation I would call it randomization. Others might calling it pulling things out of a hat and lets see what we come up with.
See above. Not all CrossFit programming-even when it's not periodized-is random.

- Alex
Old 08-04-2011, 03:00 AM   #25
Alex McRobie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
There is a big difference between pulling exercises and rep schemes out of a hat and selectively chosing exercises/rep schemes based on the day's goals. For example, on Mondays we do heavy back squats followed by a short metcon. I don't just randomly pick exercises, that would be stupid. Instead, I'll do a couple with maybe heavy KB swings and burpees. Did I "randomly" make up the WOD? I suppose you could say that, but did it meet the requirements of what I was trying to accomplish in the gym that day? Yes.
True however i think that with the significant volume that some of these guys do its difficult to avoid workouts which could counteract eachother (e.g. 2 of the same exercises in separate workouts in the same day) so randomness may become easier. There is also a CF journal interview with Ben Smith who said he didnt know what metcons he was going to do the following day. My point is with these elite guys if they are following the high volume philosiphy then maybe randomness is just the easiest route? and randomness is still going to prepare you well for competition IMO. just my thoughts.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #26
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
See above. Not all CrossFit programming-even when it's not periodized-is random.
Alex, I agree with you. I've seen some affiliates where the programming looks pretty good. My comments were more aimed at the main site WOD's.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #27
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
The definition of Crossfit:
Quote:
Constantly varied, if not random, functional movement performed at high intensity across broad time and modal domains.
That, of course, doesn't mean that Crossfit = random, but the word is there in the "official" definition. So, it's not unreasonable to include it in a discussion on what Crossfit is/should be.

Quote:
Very true. And I believe that intelligently programmed variation, especially when coupled with some periodization, makes for a great fitness program.

But, when you start encountering a week (actually a period of five days) of workouts that includes a total of 296 weighted squats and 250 air squats, with 200+ of those weighted squats performed in one workout, you start to question the claims of "intelligently programmed variation" as it seems to be moving into the realm of "random," or perhaps just silly and dangerous.

Last edited by Preston Sprimont : 08-04-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #28
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

that being said, what would you consider the ''best way to train''. i know thats a very broad question as the different folks different strokes principal will apply. but is there a generally consensus on what tip of program will forge the most elite fitness
Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #29
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

There are plenty of programs that are good ways to train for general population, but the best ways to train will pretty much have to be individualized. Details will vary based on height, bodyweight, strengths, weaknesses, available training time, recovery factors, etc. There's no single right answer that would apply for everyone, and it takes a pretty smart coach to be able to identify exactly what the program should be.

It also depends on what your definition of "elite fitness" is.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #30
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

eric i have another question. if I'm strictly following an o-lifting program that includes heavy squatting and push pressing would you say that i can be well rounded doing so.
for example i know strictly doing slow power lifts will just make you good at strength lifts. but o-lifts are explosive etc so will they allow me to train more of the 10 components of fitness/ develop the stereotypical cf body( don't tear me appart for the body question please)