CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #21
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lantz View Post
Gillian makes some valid points in the article about some problems that have occurred in CF over the years.

However she also seems to me to fall into that category of people who have their own problems before they get to you.

As soon as this person starts a relationship with you, now suddenly you are somehow responsible for their problem.

For example she mentions doing a "CF workout" that consisted of 150 burpees and 150 pullups for time and how bad she felt it for days afterwards. I am quite sure that "WOD" has never appeared on the mainsite, not sure where she got it from.

She also mentioned "I decided to go for a ten mile run − insane, because I never run."
I think she had some issues long before she ever found CF.

The bottom line is that Rip's favorite workout these days seems to be grinding his axe against CF.

Many of his posters and people who he has interviewed or have contributed articles bash CF by name, often with his encouragement.

I'm always suspicious of someone's motives who spends their time attacking someone or something else rather than simply pitching the advantages of their own program, views, etc.

I really don't think he's trying to save the masses from what he now thinks is a bad program, this is personal.

I would tend to think he should have more gratitude for something that has helped his business to flourish.

It was clearly a bad break up but we don't know nearly the level of detail that we know about Robb Wolf, Greg Everett or Dan John's ousters.
Frankly, I don't know many women who DON'T have body image issues. I know that I didn't imagine the fact that on several occasions I hung out at the pool in my bikini with other women, most of whom were CrossFitters and all of whom weighed significantly LESS than I did, and that they all spent half the time there picking apart their bodies. There is a reason I just did a segment on women and body image on Iron Radio. It's because it's a COMMON issue. I certainly don't think it's unique to CrossFit, and I don't think that Gillian was saying that either. However, I do think that trainers need to be more conscious of that fact. When I did the USATF certification, a large portion of the endurance section was spent discussing eating disorders and body image. I thought it was extremely useful and necessary.

And, REALLY. Every single client who walks in your door brings some kind of baggage. Everyone has their own problems. Those problems don't have to be weight or body image. But, whatever those problems are, you have to be able to deal with them effectively. That's your job.

And, I will openly laugh out loud at anyone who questions Rip's motives, especially after reading Gillian's article and the first hand details of what he and the staff at WFAC did for her. That had nothing to do with bashing CrossFit. Does Rip get his jabs in occasionally? Sure. But, so do a lot of people. That's not what motivates him to do what he does every single day. Anyone who asks for advice on his forum, anyone who reads his articles and watches his platform videos, and anyone who has ever been coached by the man or who has spent any amount of time with him knows better than that. I'm one of those people, and I'm damn glad that I am.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #22
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
I would tend to think he should have more gratitude for something that has helped his business to flourish.

You sure it shouldn't be the other way around?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:55 AM   #23
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
You sure it shouldn't be the other way around?
Because lord knows Rip wasn't training people before CrossFit came into existence.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #24
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:

It was clearly a bad break up but we don't know nearly the level of detail that we know about Robb Wolf, Greg Everett or Dan John's ousters.
We do know some detail about those three ousters--and what we know doesn't exactly help your case.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #25
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Because lord knows Rip wasn't training people before CrossFit came into existence.
Not to mention the addition of a coach with credentials in the early years of Crossfit helped it with some legitimacy.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #26
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Not to mention the addition of a coach with credentials in the early years of Crossfit helped it with some legitimacy.
I am pretty sure you guys would have no idea who Mark Rippetoe was unless he got involved with CrossFit. It was good for him and good for the brand. He brought years of experience and CrossFit brought him a platform that he utilized to get his name out there.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #27
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Frankly, I don't know many women who DON'T have body image issues.
Men too. I'm one of them.

A great coach looks at a client as a person and as an athlete, knows how to train the athlete and counsel the person, and knows when to stick their nose in someone's business and when not to.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #28
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Denofa View Post
I am pretty sure you guys would have no idea who Mark Rippetoe was unless he got involved with CrossFit. It was good for him and good for the brand. He brought years of experience and CrossFit brought him a platform that he utilized to get his name out there.
I can 100% say that I knew of Rip LONG before CrossFit came into popular view of the general public. So did 90% of the guys I train with. Maybe it was you that had limited exposure? Maybe not?

Like was said, Rip gave CF credibility. Ask yourself this... in the "fitness" or "weightlifting" or "whatever" world.... who would you hear about first if you were looking to get strong... "Rip"....or "Glassman"? Rip, exactly.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #29
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

One thing I noticed is that Gillian came into crossfit big and strong and was crushing most others from the beginning. She then began to listen to others who told her that she was "too big and bulky to do crossfit" She then began a strict zone diet and lost weight to make happy the people who were most likely jealous of her in the first place.

Had Gillian maintained her size and strength I believe she could very well be the top female crossfitter today. Unfortunately, sometimes the first to jump in and offer advice don't necessarily to it with the very best of intentions.

This seems to be a prevalent problem amongst many of us, we read about caloric restriction and zone dieting, we see the abs of the top performing men and women and think we have to look like them.

I can say for myself that once my bodyfat drops below 10%, I can watch my abs get ripped and my performance suffer.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #30
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Crossfit is not responsible for the evils of the world. Women had body image issues before Coach Glassman was born, and will continue to have them long after all of us are dead and gone.

With that said, even a cursory glance through the main page and the Games site will tell you that Crossfit HQ glorifies a particular look, for both men and women. Many people here (myself included) find that look attractive, but it isn't going to be genetically possible for everyone, nor is it necessarily the best look for performance (even Crossfit performance).

Which means that Crossfit coaches need to do what Crossfit has always claimed to do: focus on performance, not aesthetics. That's especially true since the CFHQ party line on nutrition is somewhat questionable to begin with. First, do no harm: It's pretty risky for a CF coach with no special nutrition training to start telling someone who is already very athletic that they need to lose weight or follow a particular diet. The person could succeed, but they could easily crash and burn, too.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 07-26-2011 at 01:23 PM.