CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Troy Kenshin

Profile:
apparently not eating enough?

I've been eating relatively the same amount per day for a year (give or take) and have made considerable strength and speed gains/all around physical improvements.
however, i just tried a few different calorie calculators and all of them show that I'm eating about 1000 calories to few a day.
can this be possible if I've been perfectly fine all this time doing what I'm doing?

i want to stay lean like i currently am and my performance hasn't suffered at all that i know of so i wanted to know if i can get some honest opinions on the matter. (I've previously listened to the consensus of people on here previously and it has done me well)
Old 07-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: apparently not eating enough?

What's your current height/weight/estimated bodyfat/goals? What are some of your lift numbers and CF benchmark scores?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

height-5'10
weight-150
bodyfat- no idea to be honest, but I'm lean and have a typical wrestlers build
lift numbers:
c&j-120
snatch-100
deadlift-300
squat-175

i haven't done cf so i can't tell you benchmarks for that (not sure what they are either) but my goals are to improve my o-lifts and that all I've been training.
hope that helps in terms of background?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
height-5'10
weight-150
bodyfat- no idea to be honest, but I'm lean and have a typical wrestlers build
lift numbers:
c&j-120
snatch-100
deadlift-300
squat-175

i haven't done cf so i can't tell you benchmarks for that (not sure what they are either) but my goals are to improve my o-lifts and that all I've been training.
hope that helps in terms of background?
are those numbers in Lbs or Kilos?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Assuming that getting stronger appeals to you, you're going to want to gain about 30-40lbs relatively quickly. That means eating more and lifting heavy stuff on a regular basis while not doing too many conditioning workouts. Having a barely-bodyweight squat is something I would want to fix in a hurry.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

its all in lbs no kilos.

and thats a rough estimate on squat/ what I've done for a few singles straight as assistance after maxing on c&j's. and i don't condition as is, i just do the bulgarian cycle in greg everetts book.

also in regards to adding fats to my food for calorie density i need help. i absolutely hate oils on my food, and have no access to nuts avocado etc while at school bc i have no car. so can i get by just eating a lot of meat fruit and veg?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

and in regards to nuts i forgot cashews, i can eat those to but I'm allergic to macadamia and brazil (i don't know of any other ones really)
but if i stock up on bags of those is it okay to use only almonds and cashews as my main fat source with an occasional avocado (if the dining hall ever has them)
Old 07-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You say you've been eating like this for a year and "have made considerable strength and speed gains" yet you're still squatting 175lbs. I'm not trying to be harsh, but you should reevaluate things. If you're doing Everett's program it will get you stronger since you'll be squatting and pulling pretty regularly, so the other important piece will be getting good technique from the beginning. Are there any experienced Oly coaches around where you live?

As for food, eat a lot more of pretty much everything--dense protein sources like meat and eggs, fruits and vegetables as well as dense carbs like sweet potatoes and oats, and good fats. Nuts aren't the best option for fats because most have unfavorable omega 6/omega 3 ratios, so I'd try to get your hands on some coconut milk or coconut oil. They're calorie-dense and full of good medium chain triglycerides.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
You say you've been eating like this for a year and "have made considerable strength and speed gains" yet you're still squatting 175lbs. I'm not trying to be harsh, but you should reevaluate things. If you're doing Everett's program it will get you stronger since you'll be squatting and pulling pretty regularly, so the other important piece will be getting good technique from the beginning.
That ^
For some perspective, I'm female, 2 inches shorter than you, purely crossfitting not dedicated strength training, at a caloric deficit, and have been at it for less time than you (about 10 mo)... and I'm still relatively weak, yet my lifts are catching yours:
Power Clean - 105
Jerk - 125
Deadlift - 225
Squat - 165

You are way under weight, and way understrong, you need to eat more and get on a linear progression program.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 07-25-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I didn't read in the op's post where he said he wanted to gain weight or get stronger so he didnt ask for diet or exercise advise. At least I didnt read it that way, maybe I'm wrong.

It appears as though he is happy with his weight and his strength he is just wondering why the food calculators are showing him at a 1000 calorie defficit when he has been doing fine for a year on what he is currently eating.

My answer would first be that you are using incorrect data. Perhaos your estimates of your bmr are too high or you are under-estimating how much you actually eat, or a combination of both.

In addtion its all just a guesstimate anyway, your not going to be 100% using those calculations but 1k off is pretty substantial.

At any rate, if you are happy with where you are and its been working for you then stick with itdont worry about what some calculation is telling you, real world trumps "the science" every time.