CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Bret Goldstein

Profile:
Training for Middle School Football

This is a question a little off the beaten path in here.

Well, my son is going to play middle school football. He is 12 and weighs a pretty solid 126. He is a powerful kid, but if I feel like his major weakness is speed, agility and coordination. I feel like he is certainly too young to start the kind of lifting program advocated in crossfit football - but I don't think he is too young to get involved in some form of strength training.

I have read a ton about this subject and the prevailing theory seems to be to keep children away from heavier weights until they are finished growing - or are at least 15-16. I am looking for resources to develop an off season / on season program for him that will help his coordination and will enhance his football specific strength and agility.

I am open to suggestions of websites, books and any other information anyone can provide.

I would like to try to find something that will be fun for him and not a grind. I want the training to be a good experience for him. Frankly, I don't really care if he continues on with FB in the future, but I want him to see the positive benefits of exercise / training.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Training for Middle School Football

have you checked out crossfit kids? that's sort of their bread and butter is kids like your son. also lots of ideas for games and such to make it fun.

as for strength, pushups and pullups are a good start. you might also look into a local gymnastics program or wrestling club. great ways to build strength.

for the speed, agility, and coordination, there is no substitute for just working on those skills. get him sprinting, doing agility work, jumping, running, etc. depending on what position he is likely to play then work on those skills as part of the workout. pass routes, catching, throwing, quick feet, etc. even if you don't follow CFFB weight lifting, there are many good skills and drills you can use. lots of other sources on the web for young football players skills and drills as well.

would also strongly recommend talking with the coaches. they can give you a good idea of what they do so that you can prepare and plan.

lastly, i will say to ask your son what he would like to do. if he wants to do it and thinks its fun you then it's much more likely to be successful. and offer to do it with him, or find friends to do it with him, or both.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Get him in an Olympic lifting program.

Teach him high quality nutrition.

He can start lifting now. Form and technique being the primary goals. He will be fine doing 3 sets of 5.

I work with a 13 year old who has been growing an inch a month for a while. Coordination is a major goal of ours. Poor kid is all arms and legs. Be patient and remember you will be doing a fair amount of practice (neurological training) as apposed to training (muscular development). The sooner he develops good control of his body the sooner he can begin to train harder.

Remember he is 12 and should have fun growing up.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Tom Reyes

Profile:

+1 for the Oly lifting.....
Old 07-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
adam adkins

Profile:

Dan John - From the Ground up

Bill Starr - The Big Three