CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Marty Dixon

Profile:
Affiliate skips ever short heavy day.

Whenever the wod is something like this
Shoulder Press 5-5-5-5-5 reps, or the deadlifts that came up last week, my affilate comes up with their own met con type wod. There reasoning is that most people prefer a longer workout, especially the women. Occasionally we will have a heavier shorter wod, but It's been at least a month or two since we did any kind of max weight lifting. Does anyone else's gym do this. I hate it. I figure those days are programed in for a reason and that were missing out by not doing them.

Otherwise we follow the mainsite most of the time.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: Affiliate skips ever short heavy day.

If you're just following mainsite WODs and you're comfortable with movements, why wouldn't you save your monthly dues for 6 months (if they charge as much as most affiliates) and build a garage gym? Or - maybe - find another affiliate?

Have you talked it over with your trainer to let them know that you want to work on those lifts as well?

Last edited by Andy Gann : 07-03-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
If you're just following mainsite WODs and you're comfortable with movements, why wouldn't you save your monthly dues for 6 months (if they charge as much as most affiliates) and build a garage gym?
Yeah, I was gonna say... what kind of box can't even come up w/their own programming?
Old 07-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Andy Gann

Profile:

Yeah really - pick two or three movements, decide on rounds or reps, set the timer and say 'go'. How hard can it really be? lol
Old 07-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dixon View Post
Shoulder Press 5-5-5-5-5 reps, or the deadlifts that came up last week, my affilate comes up with their own met con type wod. There reasoning is that most people prefer a longer workout, especially the women. Occasionally we will have a heavier shorter wod, but It's been at least a month or two since we did any kind of max weight lifting. Does anyone else's gym do this. I hate it. I figure those days are programed in for a reason and that were missing out by not doing them.

Then the owners/coaches need to do a better job of explaining the reasons for heavy days. Any idiot can post a 30 minute AMRAP or chipper 5x a week that leads to people getting burnt out after a few months or ending up with overuse injuries or adrenal/cortisol problems, but it takes a little bit of thought to come up with smart programming that will keep people seeing results beyond the novice gains phase. If these people think they need to do long workouts to "tone" or "lean out" or lose weight, someone needs to explain the body composition benefits that come with lifting heavy and doing shorter metcons.

People may not think heavy days are as much fun as silly metcons, so that's where the coaches need to come in and tell them the reasons for lifting heavy. It's kinda like eating your vegetables...it may not be fun, but it's something you just have to do anyways. Plus once they've gotten used to doing it a fair amount, most people get a lot of enjoyment out of a PR for a 1RM or 5RM lift.

I got pushback from a handful of people when I did my first 8-week block of strength-biased programming at my affiliate, but they stopped complaining when all that strength work translated to better CFT and Oly totals and to better numbers on benchmark CF workouts.

If you haven't lifted heavy for two months, and your goals include getting stronger and all around fitter, I'd recommend finding another gym.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Michael Dowling

Profile:

this is similar to my old gym, every day was a 30 minute metcon or 20 minute amrap. i went back to january and i found two strength days out of nearly 5 months of programming.

i still lift there (but not crossffit it's a mixed gym) and they have gotten a few guys in who are clearly strength biased so the program has changed a bit, i see them doing a ton more strength work now.

either ask them why they skip strength work (chances are they'll just tell you CF is strength work, and just do the WOD's and you'll get strong), but it's worth a shot, or find another gym to go to.

at my old gym there were guys going there for two years who really hadn't made any gains in 18 months, but showed up 5 days a week for some brutal metcon, couldn't squat their body weight or bench 75% their BW.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Andy Gann

Profile:

Brutal metcons that lead to chronic inflammation in shoulders and constantly ripped hands is why I quit 'doing crossfit' and started lifting and doing short, kipping-less metcons.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Johnny Lantigua

Profile:

My box usually adds a short metcon after the heavy lifts. I suspect it is to, as the OP stated, please those looking for something longer. For example today we did:

5 x 3 push jerks then

400m
max dips
max pullups
max pushups
1 min situps
tabata squats
Old 07-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
There [sic] reasoning is that most people prefer a longer workout, especially the women.
There is a segment of the community that is totally enamored of the metcons and will do little else. They think Crossfit is the metcon workouts. If this is the case then they are not doing Crossfit. It's BODYPUMPô with a stopwatch. Find a different affiliate if you want to do Crossfit.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:

An affiliate that doesn't meet the needs of the people training there will not be able to stay open. No matter what you think of the programming, it's hard to blame them for giving people what they want.

My own affiliate is heavily strength-biased. We host a powerlifting club. We host an olympic lifting club. We qualified a bunch of people for regionals. And still turnout is *dramatically* lower on strength days. It's a tough line for the coaches to walk.

I'd suggest talking to the coaches and explaining what you're looking for and why you don't think your needs are being met.

Katherine