CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Om Puri

Profile:
Back Squat form check (going low enough?)

I've de-loaded and been working on getting depth and keeping my chest up, which is why these reps are all slow and there is no re-bound.
LBBS 95x5 (wfs)
I've also been doing hip mobility drills, stretching, etc. to help hit depth & avoid lower back rounding which has given me pain in the past.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
Re: Back Squat form check (going low enough?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Puri View Post
I've de-loaded and been working on getting depth and keeping my chest up, which is why these reps are all slow and there is no re-bound.
LBBS 95x5 (wfs)
I've also been doing hip mobility drills, stretching, etc. to help hit depth & avoid lower back rounding which has given me pain in the past.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
You are not even breaking parallel here. You can see this clearly, right?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. Greenberg View Post
You are not even breaking parallel here. You can see this clearly, right?
Andrew, when I go lower, my lower back rounds and causes dull pain.
This isn't a good angle to see depth, but you can see lower back rounding here: LBBS 95x5 lower back rounding (wfs)
Old 06-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Andrew, when I go lower, my lower back rounds and causes dull pain.
This isn't a good angle to see depth, but you can see lower back rounding here: LBBS 95x5 lower back rounding (wfs)
Om, there is no appreciable rounding in this video. You should be able to go about 8 inches lower simply by shoving your knees out.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:

Quote:
Om, there is no appreciable rounding in this video. You should be able to go about 8 inches lower simply by shoving your knees out.
What Andrew said. Shove your knees out. Also, let your knees travel forward a bit. You keep your knees back too much, your balance goes back past your heels, and you end up having to bend forward excessively to stay on balance.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Om Puri

Profile:

Thanks, guys. Felt way better today but not sure if I got depth.
Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0sno5RHvNI (wfs)

My upper back slightly rounds at the bottom (chest collapses a bit). Is there anything I can do other than keep thinking chest up chest up chest up? Are there any mobility exercises I can do? (I do lots of shoulder dislocations 3x10 & foam roll the T-spine daily). And I've been doing squat stretches 3x30 seconds a day.

Your help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks, guys. Felt way better today but not sure if I got depth.
Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0sno5RHvNI (wfs)

My upper back slightly rounds at the bottom (chest collapses a bit). Is there anything I can do other than keep thinking chest up chest up chest up? Are there any mobility exercises I can do? (I do lots of shoulder dislocations 3x10 & foam roll the T-spine daily). And I've been doing squat stretches 3x30 seconds a day.

Your help is appreciated, thanks!
These squats are identical to the other ones you posted. Still barely breaking parallel.

Listen, all you need to do - LITERALLY, all you need to do - is to keep bending your knees when you hit the "bottom" of the squat.

I am not a great squatter, but even I can do this: http://www.youtube.com/user/mieyoshi...25/fp8LzS42DPQ SAFE

This is me squatting 140k. Notice that all I do when I reach about parallel is to bend the knees and bounce out of the bottom. Please try this: it is not that hard.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Dan Graziano

Profile:

Om-

It is clear you have both a mental hurdle of getting low enough and having the confidence to get back up. That comes with lots of practice so nothing to be too concerned about. The biggest issue is that forward lean. Thoracic muscles are weak and that is what is causing the forward lean. A few things you can do to improve those muscles both strengthening and mobility standpoint...

ABMAT Sit-ups (the arch in the pad is great for mobility)

Taped Tennis Ball Sit-ups (similar to the ABMAT;place balls so they are on either side of the erectors and perform 5-10 sit-ups working the thoracolumbar junction; or more of the middle area of the back, avoiding cervical and lumbar areas)

Prone Cobras

OH Squats (from personal experience this helped greatly, opening my tight chest muscles thus improving my back squat)

Front Squat (this, goblet squats and cleans will help with shoulder mobility as well as stretching the thoracic muscles. Even PVC front squats can help here from a flexibility standpoint)

There are tons of ways to improve these muscles, that and practice, practice, practice.

Goodluck my friend!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
Dan Graziano

Profile:

Quote:
These squats are identical to the other ones you posted. Still barely breaking parallel.

Listen, all you need to do - LITERALLY, all you need to do - is to keep bending your knees when you hit the "bottom" of the squat.

I am not a great squatter, but even I can do this: http://www.youtube.com/user/mieyoshi...25/fp8LzS42DPQ SAFE

This is me squatting 140k. Notice that all I do when I reach about parallel is to bend the knees and bounce out of the bottom. Please try this: it is not that hard.
Bro, that Clean is impressive, great job!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
Michael Dowling

Profile:

i have the same problem as you om, i just can't get low on squat at all, if i do i'm not coming back up. but fix it now rather than wasting your time, because after 3 months i can squat to just about parallel with 325 but if i do go lower my back rounds and i can't squat anything because my hamstrings are weak as hell i guess.

basically i just wasted 3 months, don't so the same thing.