CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Pull up rig designs

I really like the Rogue pull up rigs with the integrated squat/bench racks. I would not hesitate to buy from Rogue but unfortunately, shipping to Japan is prohibitively expensive for big heavy stuff so I must build and design my own system for our box.

The shortcomings I see with the Rogue design are the inability to do bar muscle ups on the double bars, and the fact that it does not integrate high ring mounts (to be able to do stuff like muscle-up HSPU's, uprises, etc.).

I would appreciate pics or advice from others who have designed or built pull up rigs that integrate high ring positions, squat racks, diagonally ascending bars, etc.

Thanks y'all!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
Dave Coughlin

Profile:
Re: Pull up rig designs

I posted this in a similar thread, and I am feeling quite lazy. Any questions, feel free to PM me or ask here.

wfs

http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.p...99&postcount=7

Cost was under $100, and could be even less as I used 1.5" bars for the PU bar itself.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Thanks Dave. Im thinking more along the lines of something like this, but integrating the diagonally ascending bars and power racks. The intention is to be able to have 15-20 athletes training at once on it, doing s WOD that includes say, back squats, muscle ups and toes to bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010419.jpg
Views:	6549
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	7266  
Old 11-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Tommy Alfinito

Profile:

Can you just run the rings from a beam or something from the ceiling? I would do that for rings to do gymnastics work on and then build something similiar to the rogue infinity rack or the one that attaches to the wall. Most gyms I have seen build a pullup structure into the wall and then run a few sets of rings from the ceiling. I also have seen gyms that run the pipes straight from the ceiling which looks like an effective and cheap way to build it
heres a pic of an example of that
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crossfi...n/photostream/
wfs

Also what do you think about the rogue infinity rack. I want to build my own pullup structure also but I am worried about the integrity of the rack if I build it myself and put holes in the pipes to double as a squat rack and with Rogue offering free shipping with the rack I have been looking at buying the I-14 which would give me pullups and 4 squat stations, which is pretty good for starting out but I am curious about how well its built and if that second bar above the pullup bar gets in the way even just for pullups
Old 11-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
William Henniger

Profile:

Ian - You should be able to find a local fabrication shop to make something cool for you box.

With regards to the parallel bar:

1) It is there to build structural integrity into the rig system

2) We have used the parallel bar system at CrossFit Regionals and the Games. I have yet to see someone hit their head on the top bar, we designed it with the proper distance to avoid this. If you put your hands in front of your shoulders it creates a natural gap between you and the bar

3) All of the parallel bars can be inter changed with single bars. The 4' section can be a fat or skinny bar. We can do the same with the 6' section. We do not warranty the 6' single bars

4) The other option is the Dirty South bar that Johnny Mac came up with for the their Regional. It is the triangular bar that we used at the Games this year. Allows for two different pullup heights.

Feel free to email me at bill@roguefitness.com or call me: 614.358.6190

Hope that info helps

Bill
Old 11-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Xi Xia

Profile:

Here is a design we are considering. We too would like only single bars that span the system to allow for more gymnastic movements that go over the bar. This attaches into a wall.

All the posts are 11' to 12' high can be used as wall ball targets. The high bars on each end are 11' to 12' high for rings. The low bar is 7', the middle bar is 8'.

This was inspired by valley crossfit's pullup system, which also has ascending bars on one section. We currently have ascending bars on our current system and found that we never used them. A few will play them on, now and then, but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
Thanks Dave. Im thinking more along the lines of something like this, but integrating the diagonally ascending bars and power racks. The intention is to be able to have 15-20 athletes training at once on it, doing s WOD that includes say, back squats, muscle ups and toes to bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45pullview.jpg
Views:	4114
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	7276