CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-29-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I have issues with the second pull. Coach B. did an excellent job of helping my understand the instantaneous nature of it. Still, absent video, it is really hard to coach, and really hard for me, lifting by myself, to know if I did it right. Since it's the most powerful movement in sports, it's important to do it right (hence 1-2-3/up-down).

That got me to thinking: if you're pulling up correctly--pulling your knees back, barbell over feet--then you get to that mid-thigh position, with your knees back, then you jump, which necessitates taking all that accumulated tension, jamming it back under the bar, coiled and ready, and then popping it up in a 1/16 of a second or something.

Key point: there is a difference between what I call a "dynamic deadlift"--which basically transitions from the 1st pull to the 3rd pull--and a properly executed lift, which has that split second rebend of the knees (also called the scoop and double knee bend).

Thought: it might be interesting, at least, to set up two short posts with a small metal or wood bar resting across them on adjustable pegs, and start with the barbell or PVC at mid-thigh position, then see if you knock the bar off the posts. If your knees truly rebend--go forward--then you should do it, likely hard. If the pull is done really, really well, that thing should go flying off there, if set right at knee height.

A related idea was some sort of feedback with respect to reaching full extension at the top of the second pull, with a full shrug, etc, prior to pulling yourself under. You could set up dual posts on both sides of the barbell, with something laying between them, so that if you travel high enough, you hit something. You could even make it something that moves slightly, then arrests your motion, so you can have the resistance to pull yourself under even on light weights.

That latter is important because I guess most of us start our drop before full extension. That's what Tony Budding was telling me. It makes sense. So much of both lifts, it seems to me, are pacing. Some part you need to not rush, some you can't dilly-dally.

Anyway, I thought those ideas might be helpful. If anybody tries them, let me know what you think. I think I should be able to set up that knee thing pretty easily.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I thought about it some more, and it would perhaps be more fun to hook up a bell of some sort. On the knee rebend thing make the assembly so the whole thing moves, and if you move it far enough, it rings a bell.

On the extension thing, use PVC, put appropriate rubber bands on it, and use some sort of adjustable lever, so that when you reach full extension (as measured before-hand, and set on this thing), a lever arm is worked, and a bell rings. You've got tension on the bar, so you pull under, pronto.

That has a nice Pavlovian element to it, for proper reinforcement of correct movement.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Barry, note that the degree of double knee bend can vary quite a bit among top lifters. Some very successful lifters have a very slight DKB. I worry that your DKB idea would encourage an overexaggeration of the DKB. It would also encourage them to THINK about the DKB during their lift and I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Others may disagree...

But I like the way you are thinking...
Old 09-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Yeah, I thought about that. An alternate idea would be to have some sort of thing like those boxes of nailheads where you put your hand in and it leaves a print. I saw a vertical jump thing one time, where you jumped, and there was a bunch of sort of swinging lever arms, and whichever was the highest you moved, that was your vertical. Something like that would enable you to verify you had at least done SOMETHING.

As I understand it, it's not the degree of knee bend so much as the torso angle, and violence of movement. Still, you could calibrate it for minimal knee movement. This is a freaking hard thing to coach. I think Coach B. thought he was talking to an unresponsive cow when he kept trying to get me to move FAST.

What eez thees ting, FAST?
Old 09-30-2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Have you checked out the article on coaching the DKB? It's got some good progressions.
http://coachesinfo.com/category/stre...d_conditoning/