CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Best way to "fit" power cleans into a 531 strength + crossfit wod program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
True but if heavy it will help the front squat, which is a big weakness of mine right now as I can catch more in the bottom position than I can lift up in the front squat. In other words, when it gets to a little past a 1RM, I might be able to pull it and catch it in the bottom position, but I can't get it up through the squat.

That's where I'm coming from with that idea, thoughts?
In that case, sounds reasonable for working your front squats. In fact, you could even do something like 1 SC + 3-5 FS. Or you could do front squats out of the rack as assistance work for your back squats. Or you could sub FS for BS every other cycle. One of the beauties of 531 is you can follow the template and tweak it to meet your goals, either by subbing for a major lift or through the assistance work.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
True but if heavy it will help the front squat, which is a big weakness of mine right now as I can catch more in the bottom position than I can lift up in the front squat. In other words, when it gets to a little past a 1RM, I might be able to pull it and catch it in the bottom position, but I can't get it up through the squat.

That's where I'm coming from with that idea, thoughts?
That's where I am at, in reality though it's because I always used front squats on recovery days. I'm throwing in front squats for 5x3 once a week and finding that they are going to progress well past my meager clean.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #13
Ted Apollo

Profile:

over the last few years i have been doing SS+crossfit, texas method+crossfit, CFSB, CFSB hybrid, 5/3/1 hybrid and what my body seems to respond the best to is an intermediate program that combines the best from all the programs i have tried. like this:

monday - 5/3/1 bench, DE squat, assistance + CFE intervals
tuesday - 5/3/1 deadlift, pullups + short metcon
wednesday - rest or CFE time trial
thursday - 5/3/1 press, 5/3/1 squat, assistance + CFE intervals
friday - ME & DE power cleans, pullups + short metcon
saturday - rest or long metcon
sunday - rest or CFE time trial

eat right, get your rest, & take days off when you need them on wed., sat., and/or sun.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
Art Dirik

Profile:

thanks for the replies all. I am going to try and make the following adjustments and see how it goes:
a) put in 5 x 3 pwr cleans on squat 531 days, but before squats
b) work in front squats from the rack as assistance on squat days
c) experiment with squat cleans on squat days - before and after, and see if I can throw them in on another day - with several days of recovery post squat day...and accouning for deadlift 531 day

I am really sore - on the 4 day 531 split so shifting to a 3 day split to add more recovery, and hopefully - get better gains, results

art