CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Keith Roxo

Profile:
Independent Trainer

I have been an avid user and believer of CrossFit for about three years now. I am back in school after having been on active duty in the Navy for over ten years to clean up a few prerequisites to get into medical school. My school rec center has a CrossFit area with some great equipment and I have found myself in the position where people are asking to work out with me. The rec center does have CrossFit classes, but these folks want more personal attention and don't want the bigger classes that the school group puts on.

I won't be starting up a box of my own, but I am thinking about getting my certification and maybe being able to do this on the side as an independent trainer while going through medical school as well. If I were to do that, would I still need to affiliate? I wouldn't have a box or a website, just some independent training of folks who are looking for some help.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 10-16-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
Tish Traster

Profile:
Re: Independent Trainer

Hello Keith,

No, you would not need to affiliate. Once certified you may say you train the CrossFit method. You cannot however, call your business "CrossFit X". You can offer personal training as a certified Level 1 Trainer, stating you use CrossFit method.

If there is an affiliate at the same facility you are planningn to train clients, you might want to speak with them first to avoid toe-stepping.

Good Luck!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Traster View Post
If there is an affiliate at the same facility you are planningn to train clients, you might want to speak with them first to avoid toe-stepping.

Good Luck!
Even if there isn't, the facility may have policies restricting non-staff trainers. At globos, that protects their trainers' income stream, but it also keeps the insurance company happy.

Katherine
Old 10-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Keith Roxo

Profile:

Thanks for the info. Right now I train at the University of Nevada - Reno. I have no idea what their policy is on things like this and I'm not even sure if I will do it. I haven't even done one of their CrossFit classes because of scheduling and I'm fine on my own. I'm not sure if, or how many, folks are certified who teach those classes because I haven't been to any to ask.

I have two friends who want to get into it and have asked me to train them because they don't like the bigger classes. I'm not even considering charging them and I don't want to call myself a CrossFit trainer because I haven't been certified. The idea just kind of popped in my head and I was curious in case other people I don't know wanted me to train them or as something on the side when med school starts.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roxo View Post
I have two friends who want to get into it and have asked me to train them because they don't like the bigger classes. I'm not even considering charging them and I don't want to call myself a CrossFit trainer because I haven't been certified.
I found CrossFit while in college and did this for 3 years before being certified, and then another year before I started doing it for pay. I have my own box now (not a CF affiliate) and hope to be able to quit my day job in a few years. Training friends in college is a good way to get experience.

I had no training background and found the Level 1 certification seminar very helpful, others with more experience may not.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Dmitriy Zavyalov

Profile:

Keith, from a time management perspective take a look at how much "spare" time you have while in medical school. I know a few people who are in med school right now and an overwhelming majority of them barely have time to work out themselves due to the amount of work/study, let alone train others. Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Keith Roxo

Profile:

Dmitriy, I have some friends in medical school who I used to work with in the Navy. They have given me a very good indication of the time requirements compared to what we used to do. I don't think I would even do it much for money because trying to do that would take up too much time like you said. However, I always need some outlet away from work/school. For people I know I am fine training them without being certified, but if people I don't know want me to train them or work out with me for my guidance that would make me want to get certified.