CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Carl Amolat

Profile:
Pullup Bar Muscle Up

I recently purchased the book Ultimate Warrior Workouts by Martin Rooney (wfs), which contained several exercises and suggested routines for various martial arts practicioners (mainly Sombo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, Kyokushin Karate, and Judo).

The book had a lot of useful tips for functional fitness, some of which CrossFit already teaches, but one thing I found to be interesting was the pullup bar muscleup.

For the record I'm still not capable of doing muscleups on rings and I don't (yet) have any pullup rings. I presently do all my pullups on the pullup bars at my base gym and am considering integrating the pullup bar muscle up into my workouts and practicing it to build up the technique for the muscle up (I think my greatest weakness is technique, not strength).

Is the pullup bar muscle up a viable substitute for the ring muscleup? And if so would it be a 1 for 1 (i.e. one pullup bar muscle up for one ring muscle up) or would it be more along the lines of 3 pullups and dips for every muscle up?
Old 09-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Albert Chang

Profile:
Re: Pullup Bar Muscle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
Is the pullup bar muscle up a viable substitute for the ring muscleup? And if so would it be a 1 for 1 (i.e. one pullup bar muscle up for one ring muscle up) or would it be more along the lines of 3 pullups and dips for every muscle up?
Sure, you can sub. Just note there are different techniques involved. Bar muscle-up is harder than on the rings, IMO. I can do 3 "strict" (narrow with a shoulder roll) muscle-ups on the rings, but no bar muscle-ups.

3 pull-ups and 3 dips to sub for 1 muscle-up has always been a bad substitution since the hardest part of the muscle-up is always that transition. The difference between a strict muscle up (wide) and a narrow muscle-up, is that transition.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Pullup Bar Muscle Up

easiest to hardest

bar kipping
rings kipping
rings strict
bar strict

3/3 is a horrible sub. work false grip technique and very high pulls/very low dips instead OR weighted dips and pullups

Here's a vid of some strict bar MUs if you wanted to see what they looked like... wfs ig uess (no shirt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vO6kkD1E08