CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
John Stone

Profile:
Re: Mark's improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
I'm planning to join an affiliate next month, but went to my local gym to try the WoD experience. I suck. I'm currently 35, male, 6' and 290 lbs.
Hey, I saw your post on the main forums and followed it here. I'm pretty close to you in general stats (35, 6', 260lbs as you can see in my signature line) too -- not many big guys like us around the CF forums.

Keep up the good work. There is a nutrition forum, and other forums, where you can talk to people about many things that you might find helpful.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been away from the board for a few days, but not away from the gym.

Friday 13 August

Free-weight strength training for bench press using olympic bar

weight* reps
50 10
60 10
70 10
90 5
90 5

Then I took the weekend off. Then I didn't sleep at all Sunday to Monday, so I took Monday off too.

Tuesday I wasn't happy with my workout, but I'll keep going back.

17 Aug (Tuesday)

20 situps (15 degree decline, first 15 hands behind head, elbows to knees), last 5 hands on shoulders, arms on chest, elbows to quads), 8 pullups at 145# assist and then 5 push-ups from the ground! Then I saw Mr. Pukie enter the gym looking for me so I called time (3:15 minutes:seconds - I'm trying to record 15 seocond intervals at time now). I then recovered for a while and did 6 and then 5 reps in additional sets of assisted pull-ups.

This was my first time doing a set of push-ups from the ground in about a decade, so progress is happening. I guess I'm not as unhappy with my workout as I had thought.

Tonight I think I'm going to go to the track and see if my knee is feeling better. Won't know until tomorrow whether it is or not though, most likely. I need to try to remember to not sprint. I will not sprint tonight. I will not sprint tonight. Really, I'm not going to sprint tonight, but will keep things at a slow to medium run.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Giurato View Post
Crossfit isn't a type of workout, it's a mind set. It's trying your best to be good at all fitness domains (strength, power, endurance, etc), not just the ones you are good at or enjoy. Running a 5k is Crossfit. Climbing a mountain is Crossfit. Deadlifting is Crossfit. But picking just one of those to do day in and day out is not Crossfit.

I had a lightbulb moment about this Friday before my lifting. It struck me that CF isn't about all metcon all the time. Thank you for phrasing this more eloquently to hammer the point home for me.

I did go to the track today. I succeeded at not sprinting. I alternated running and walking (m) 200/100/200/200/100/200/100/300/200/200/200 and then walked 500 m as a warmdown. This was a total of 1 km running. Instead of pushing myself with a sprint at the end, I pushed myself by going back to 200 m runs and doing a whole 1 km total. This was about my limit. In fact, Mr. Pukie was kind enough to stop by right after to ask if I needed help, but after the first 50 m of my warmdown I was able to convince him to leave me alone and bother someone else. This was a good thing, as I had a quarter pound piece of salmon a couple hours before running and I really do not need a fish puke experience to make my life fulfilled.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Untimed strength work today.

45 degree incline bench press

bar + 50 lb 10 reps
bar + 70 lb 6 reps
bar + 70 lb 5 reps

Someone showed me how to use the squat rack

Squats
air 5 reps
bar 7 reps
bar + 50 lb 5 reps

Knees not happy that I ran yesterday, so I didn't push things.

30 degree decline crunches: 15 / 10 / 10 reps

I ate right before working out due to poor logistics and am surprised that Mr. Pukie didn't even come see how I was doing after this hard (for me) ab work.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
Someone showed me how to use the squat rack
I'd recommend that you hold off on barbell squats if you are going to join an affiliate in the very near future. Someone may have showed you how to use the squat rack, but they probably didn't do a very good job of coaching you how to do squats. Most gym goers and trainers don't know how to do squats correctly. Heck, I'd say I have 6 or 7 years of squatting experience and I don't think I'm qualified to teach you. Mainly because I learned it wrong and did it very wrong until a few months ago. I've also strained my back many times.

Bad form and injuries go hand-in-hand. Especially with squats and deadlifts. Both of those will put more strain on your body than just about anything else you will do. With good form, squats will probably be the cornerstone of your strength training. You want to get good habits from the beginning. Since you are joining an affiliate soon, I'd say wait until then. If you weren't, I'd say get Starting Strength and read it.

Some good substitutes for you right now would be air squats, one legged squats, lunges, dumbbell lunges, jumpies (air squat to a jump), and standing broad jumps.

You are doing air squats now. Are you doing them well? Are you getting parallel or below? Air squats are a great way to get your body ready to start training with big weights. You have a very low risk of hurting yourself doing those, and they will help loosen most of the areas that you will use to squat. Getting full ROM (range of motion) on them will benefit you greatly. If you subscribe to the Journal, there is a great video on air squats.

Also, standard Olympic size barbells are either 45 lbs or 20 kg (44 lbs). So for your incline bench, you probably did 95 lbs and 115 lbs. It will make it easier to track the weight if you add in the weight of the bar.

How long until you join your affiliate? Keep up the great effort, and good job listening to your body (knees) telling you to take it easy.

Last edited by Anthony Giurato : 08-19-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #16
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Regarding the affiliate, the closest one is still undergoing some sort of construction and I may have a logistical issue with the other one I was looking at as it is 30 miles in the opposite direction of the half-time job I accepted to make the unemployment benefits last longer. Said job may be at the same time as their Foundation class.

On the other hand, the job is an adjunct instructor position at a community college where I'll have gym privileges. I am wondering if sitting in on a weightlifting class will be equivalent to joining an affiliate for learning the basic lifts. I plan to visit the athletic department this afternoon to inquire about these things.

I did some assisted pull-ups this morning, not timed.

137.5 lbs assist: 5 reps then 6 reps
100 lbs assist: 2 reps
still unable to do an unassisted dead hang pull-up

I noted that the pull-up handles are too low for me - I can stand flat with feet on the ground while gripping them. I initially wondered if I have a mental block about pull-ups but then thought that I wouldn't be thinking about mental blocks if I added 100 lbs to a bench press I can only do two reps of and then couldn't do it. I'll just keep going back and eventually get to an unassisted pull-up.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #17
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

I was at the better gym tonight again and did a little baby metcon of sets of 10 30 degree decline crunches and then 5 push-ups (from the floor). I only made it through two sets before I was just done. I forgot to remember the minute hand on the clock, so no time, but I was breathing heavy when done.

I then walked a bit and recovered. Part of my recovery was standing around wondering what the something was used for before realizing it was a preacher curl rack. Then did some standing military presses, barbell, in the squat rack.

Just the 45 pound bar was 10 reps, felt easy. Then I added 10 lbs to each side for 65 lb total and did 4 reps. I didn't the difficulty was going to scale like that. Dropped down to 5 lb plates for 55 lb total for another 4 reps.

Then for a diagnostic I went to the Roman chair to try an L sit. I had to bend my knees to 90 degrees down and only lasted 15 seconds. Lots of room for improvement, lol.

Total time in gym: 30 mins.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #18
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Rested over the weekend.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:48 AM   #19
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

This week is a logistical nightmare as I'm still working full-time and also starting my adjunct teaching assignment. Home to work and work to teaching are each an hour (or more) commute and teaching to home is 30 - 45 minutes depending on traffic. The end result is I'm going to take what I can get workout-wise and get back on track starting next Wednesday (I get laid off from full-time job 31 Aug).

Monday: No workout.

Today: My llittle core metcon. Since I'm starting with such poor fitness, I'm just focusing on core exercises - my metcons are just sit-ups, pull-ups and push-ups, in that order. I do as many reps as I can to get to within 1 or 2 reps of failure (i.e. not actually to failure), then move on to the next exercise. I'll then do as many sets as I can until I don't think I can finish another set. Maybe in the future I should just keep going until 1 rep of something = failure. I also stop the workout upon feeling nausea. I also record the time for the entire workout.

Today I did 15 degree decline crunches, 130 lb assisted pull-ups and push-ups on the floor.

Set 1: 20 / 8 / 6

Set 2: 10 / 5 / 5

Set 3: 6 / 5 / 5

Total time: 5:30 (min:sec)
Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #20
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Feeling kind of "bleh" today, so reviewed my progress on the log here. I've dropped about 50 lbs of my pull-up assist so far! This has led me to realize that doing an unassisted pull-up is my current priority for short-term goals. I'll reassess where I want to focus my efforts, but will otherwise continue on what I've been doing.

Today is either going to be a rest day, or I may go to the track to do some running after some post-dinner relaxation.