CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #51
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:
Re: Cfcc Bccc 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin D'Aco View Post
Haha - good point Meghan My microwave is currently on vacation in Delaware (strange, but true), but I should be getting it back in a week! Then I will be microwaving sweet potatoes like it's my job.
I usually boil about 1-2lb sweet potatoes at a time and then I have a ton of mashed sweet potatoes for the week. However, I understand your frustration.. I've been microwaving for the last 2 days because who has time like that!?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #52
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Aurelio View Post
I usually boil about 1-2lb sweet potatoes at a time and then I have a ton of mashed sweet potatoes for the week. However, I understand your frustration.. I've been microwaving for the last 2 days because who has time like that!?
OOH OOH or you can slice them into discs and pan fry them with the teeniest bit of coconut oil. AND CINNAMON. My god, how did I forget about that??
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #53
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
OOH OOH or you can slice them into discs and pan fry them with the teeniest bit of coconut oil. AND CINNAMON. My god, how did I forget about that??
it would have to be super teeny. I only get 50g FAT/day
Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #54
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Aurelio View Post
it would have to be super teeny. I only get 50g FAT/day
Teeny. I think if you have a nonstick pan, you can do without.. They are still yummy with the cinnamon.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #55
Jack R Herrmann

Profile:

8/4 - TOTALS

CALORIES CARBS FAT PROTEIN
1,696 197 80 87

I have to pick up my protein intake. I dont know if this think will work but this is what i ate (i use sparkpeople.com)

http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/nutrition.asp
Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #56
Kristin D'Aco

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
Teeny. I think if you have a nonstick pan, you can do without.. They are still yummy with the cinnamon.
5 grams of butter (which was enough butter to coat the pan for my scrambled eggs this morning, in a nonstick pan) is only 4 grams of fat - so you might be able to budget a smidge in! And the cinnamon is a great idea - I think I'm going to have that for breakfast tomorrow, with 2 hard boiled eggs.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #57
Shana Rietta Mccarron

Profile:

WEDNESDAY 8/4
BREAKFAST- cantaloupe, cottage cheese, american w/soy milk
LUNCH- 2 morning star black bean burgers, green gazpacho, cucumber
DINNER- 2 litelife soy sausages, spinich, flaxseed oil, a wee bit of coconut water
SNACKS (THROUHOUT THE DAY)-1 string cheeses, cucumber with flaxseed oil, yo crunch reeces

TOTAL: CALORIES-1516 PRO-107, CHO-141.6, FAT- 64
*i counted the flaxseed oil...not sure if i was supposed to

ACTIVITY- BIKE 16 MILES- approximately 464 calories
*day 3. feel pretty good about tracking. trying to resist the crazy.
*supposed to have motorcycle lesson-i didn't have to go to the classroom portion. skipped workout for nothing!
*going to try and get yesterday's workout in today.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #58
Caitlin Slattery

Profile:

8/4/10

7:45a 2 fried eggs
1/2 avocado
1/2 sweet potato+1/2T olive oil
12 oz. black coffee
9:45a 24oz. black coffee
12:00 2/3lb. shrimp
1/2lb. brussel sprouts+1T olive oil
3:00p 1 sweet potato+1T olive oil
7:30p turkey burger + 2T guacamole
1/2lb. edamame (in shell)

Totals:
PRO: 111g (-3)
CHO: 100g (-35)
FAT: 91g (-4)

I need to eat more vegetables, sleep more, and drink less coffee. This should straighten out by next week. Also, need to drink more water. Felt very sore, like queasy sore, all day. Not sure why. Maybe because I am not eating enough carbs and therefore my brain has started to eat my hamstrings. Overall, have felt very good since starting.

This is day 11 of fairly strict paleo (minus pre/post nutrition, 1 gummy bear on saturday and 5 choc cip cookies on sunday!) and my breathing has been easier (even in the humidity), i have more energy, and my head feels very clear.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #59
Karis Yusavitz

Profile:

So these are my numbers (because I am bound to loose that sheet of paper I took notes on from the meeting - haha):

Height: 5í3/5í4
Weight: 129
Waist: 27
Bicep: 11 (un-flexed)/ 11 1/4 (flexed)

BW: 129
BF: 27.5%
LBM: 93.5

Projected Intake
PRO: 93.5g
CHO: 120 + 20-30g
FAT: 50g (really 46.75g, but 50g is the lowest we should go)

PRE workout (30 min before): PRO, 20g & CHO, 20-30g
POST workout (immediately): PRO, 10-15g

This should be an interesting challenge for me as someone who enjoys long runs, considers herself an aspiring locavore (aka - getting as much food as I can that is locally grown...if interested, ask me...Meg and I have a blog about it) and is a pescatarian (yes, I JUST starting eating fish again after about a year of not. I have been an off/on pescatarian/vegetarian for 5 years now). On my first venture to get fish I was hoping to find at least one local fish (granted I only had time to go to Whole Foods). Nothing was local and there were only a few fish that were from the US. One of my beefs with fish is the overall practice of the fishing industry. I donít want to negatively affect the environment by eating fish. I know I need to do some research on this, so if anyone has any good resources, please send them my way! I also want my fish to be as local as possible. Seeing that I donít have a fishing license/the time to go fishing every week, this will be a challenge. Haha. I am hoping to check out Ipolitoís (a fish place right around the corner from me) and Reading Terminal. Any other suggestions?

For the running thing...my plan is to cut back to one long run a week (and by ďlong,Ē I mean 5+miles. I am running the 1/2 in the fall). I hope to run out by Valley green and maybe even do some trail running to mix it up. This is all dependent upon my weekend availability though. If I canít get out there/simply donít have the time, I will run along the Schuylkill.

Oh! One more thing, maybe a couple more things...another goal of mine is to stay away from processed foods (including fake meat). Meg found a great recipe to make our own veggie burgers, so Iím excited about that and finding other ways to make ďtraditionally processed foodsĒ at home! I am also thinking about adding in a protein supplement which I need to research a little more. Last thing - I am aiming to give up alcohol. I do enjoy a good local brew and a glass of red wine, so it is going to be tough. I might limit myself to one a week. Not sure yet...going to see how it goes. Iíll be turning 25 within the challenge, so that might require at least one drink. Haha. Seriously though.

I started tracking my eating before this challenge, so itís good timing, but I just started looking at PRO, CHO and FAT on Tuesday.
This is what Iíve got so far:

Date: Aug 3, 2010
12:00 PM Mint Tea (hot), 16oz
1:00 PM Honey Roasted Nuts, 1/4 cup; Hard boiled egg, 1 (large)
3:30 PM Edamame, 1 cup; Tilapia, 1 piece (about 4oz); Quinoa (with some garbanzo beans), 1/2 cup (leftovers)
4:30 PM Peach, 1 (large)
7:30 PM Almonds, 1/3 cup
9:00 PM Tilapia, 1 piece (about 4oz)
9:30 PM Green Mango Tea (hot), 16oz

TOTALS
PRO: 102
CHO: 71.5
FAT: 49

DIFFERENCE
PRO: 8.5
CHO: -48.5
FAT: -1

Date: Aug 4, 2010
9:45 AM Banana, 1 (small)
10:15 AM Green Tea (hot), 16oz
2:45 PM FAGE Total 0% Greek Yogurt, 1 cup; Blackberries, 1/3 cup; Blueberries, 2/3 cup
3:30 PM Bobbiís White Bean Dip, 4 tbsp; Carrot, 1 cup
6:00 PM Tilapia, 1 piece (about 4oz); Spinach (raw), 2 cups ; Tomatoes, 1/3 cup
7:15 PM Macintosh Apple , 1 (medium)
9:15 PM Almonds, 1/3 cup
9:45 PM Hard boiled egg, 1

TOTALS
PRO: 65.1
CHO: 75.3
FAT: 13.5

Difference
PRO: -28.4
CHO: -44.7
FAT: -31.5

I really need to work on balancing this all out. Planning on spending some time tweaking this weekend. So far I am feeling great and have more energy...it's like I am going through a body cleanse. I was not tired after getting home from class last night at 9:15ish, which is a first (for the record I work 9-5 too and class from 6-9)! I'm excited about this challenge and to see what my body is capable of!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #60
Jack R Herrmann

Profile:

Shana....hot profile pic