CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #21
Justin McGinley

Profile:
Re: New to crossfit... Cost?

Cost really depends on location/coaching quality.

There's a gym in NYC that is $300 a month for unlimited, and worth it. It is own/run by one of the best and most experienced CF coaches, and everything in NYC is pricey because of rent.

$150-200 or so is what I'd expect to pay at an affiliate run by a good coach outside of a major city. Maybe a bit less in areas with a lower cost of living if you get lucky.

There is often a you-get-what-you-pay-for, but not always. I'd expect a LOT for $350/month anywhere outside of NYC/LA. How expensive is it to live in Tyler, Texas?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
Kevin Bensette

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Travis View Post
True, they may not get their money, but they will call a collection agency which will put a glitch on your credit report, and that should be worth more to you than $300..
Should...but won't

Not to come across cocky, just being real and literal...

I own my house, I buy my cars cash and I have a few bills stuffed away in the bank. My credit rating is irrelevant(sp) to me.

I have to doubt that a Crossfit gym is going to enforce a contract if you walked away from it. Unless you gave them a credit card number and ok'd the payments on a specific date every month, or a direct debit kind of thing.

Most places you just swipe your card once a month and sign the slip. Kind of a handshake agreement on paper to state that you are getting an annual rate, but paying monthly.

Every company has a number where they don't waste their time chasing people for the money because it becomes too expensive to do so. Most companies will not waste their resources going after anybody for anything less than $500.

Wow Collection agancies report to the credit bureau in the US, that's insane!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #23
Jeff Wadholm

Profile:

From the Crossfit website in Tyler, TX

Members

* Twice a week is $150 a month
* Three a week is $225 a month
* Unlimited for $300 a month
* Private sessions for $48
* Drop-in rate is $20

Non-Members

* Twice a week is $175 a month
* Three a week is $262 a month
* Unlimited for $350 a month
* Private sessions for $60
* Drop-in rate is $25
Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #24
Alexander Martin

Profile:

I don't know the background of this affiliate in Tyler but these prices are way to high. We did as much market research in our local area, as well as in state to find the best average price. We wanted to be competitive, but didn't want to be seen as an inferior product(based on too low of pricing). Definitely find another affiliate or just start following the mainsite WOD's. That is price gouging in my opinion and it will show in their membership.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #25
William A Cantrell

Profile:

350 Way to much!!!...Granted I do all my Wod's from the house and the Globo I attend (20 bucks a month). The average price you should pay is between 100-150 leaning more toward the 150 side and expecting more hands on work with you. 75-100 seems to me would be more of paying to use the equipment and the space with some critique. If your budget is low you can always start out at the house...even 150 dollars every month would put a new "toy" in your hand each month (use craigslist) or wait a couple and get a set of bumpers.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #26
Kyle Miesse

Profile:

Thanks for the support everyone. Glad to hear that I've got some options. I'm pretty pumped about the on ramp program. I signed up for one and it starts next week.

Jeff, Tyler Tx has a very low cost of living. It's about 100k ppl in east Texas. Brand new houses are selling in the area for about $100 per sq. ft, so it's nowhere near anything like NYC. It sucks that they think they are that special that they need so much money for their time, but it gives me a chance to do it on my own. That's a challenge I'm willing to take.

Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to write something great in one of these testimonials threads! Thanks so much everyone!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #27
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

A quick look at the East TX Craigslist shows a bunch of equipment that you could use for CrossFit. There's a "squot" rack on there now for $75, and a bunch of benches that look like they can do double duty. Pick up an Olympic weight set, buy or build a squat rack (search this site for plans), and put up a pull-up bar. That will get you started. You could probably do that for under $150 total.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #28
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bensette View Post
Should...but won't

Not to come across cocky, just being real and literal...

I own my house, I buy my cars cash and I have a few bills stuffed away in the bank. My credit rating is irrelevant(sp) to me.

I have to doubt that a Crossfit gym is going to enforce a contract if you walked away from it. Unless you gave them a credit card number and ok'd the payments on a specific date every month, or a direct debit kind of thing.

Most places you just swipe your card once a month and sign the slip. Kind of a handshake agreement on paper to state that you are getting an annual rate, but paying monthly.

Every company has a number where they don't waste their time chasing people for the money because it becomes too expensive to do so. Most companies will not waste their resources going after anybody for anything less than $500.

Wow Collection agancies report to the credit bureau in the US, that's insane!
So are you saying that your word is worthless? You tell someone you are going to do something and then don't do it. You recieve a discount because you give them your word and then they have to eat the loss because you lie?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #29
Graeme Howland

Profile:

$350 is comical and insulting unless you are being personally coached by someone of OPT's calibre in a 1-on-1 or small group setting and are also receiving individualized programming and diet advice. For an average CrossFit trainer with L1/L2 and not much athletic training history outside of CF it's downright absurd.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #30
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Wow, this is the first I've heard of CF costing over $225/month. Usually the most we see is $150-200/month.

Obviously that affiliate is trying to price itself toward it's preferred price niche. It might just work, who knows.

But screw that, imo.

For many people on the board, upwards of $150-200/month is pushing that. Keep in mind this is the same amount a gymnast in California will pay for around 3d/week of 3h/d of gymnastics. Which is about half as much who is training 4-5d/week for 4-5h/d. Most parents won't spend much more than this to take Suzie or Bobby to MA classes at the local McDojo.