CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-26-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
William Sefton

Profile:  
Hey everyone. Been lurking for a while and am working on the courage to get after my first WOD. my question is about equipment needed. I have seen some great descriptions of killer home gyms, but I need a minimalist approach due to space issues in garage. Any thoughts on the least equipment I could get away with for the majority of WOD's?

Also I have absolutely no free-weight/olympic lifting experience. Anyone know of a good instructor for the basics in Orlando, FL?
Old 04-26-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
This would be, by far, your best bet:

Name: Rich Lansky
E-mail: rclopti@aol.com

Contact Info: 941-923-6319

Type of Training Facility: Traditional Training Halls - geared toward the development and promotion of drug-free Olympic Weightlifting among Florida's Youth and Young Adults

Comments: Olympic lifting facilities and coaching at the following locations :

Sarasota ( main training hall), Tampa ( training hall within a ymca setting), Venice ( setting at Special Athletes Training Center),Altamonte Springs(training hall within a rec center setting), Orlando (2 locations, 1 at Triathlon Training Center in Claremont, 1 at Home/ storefront setting), Kissemmee (Home gym setting),Daytona Beach (high school setting), Jacksonville (2 locations, 1 dedicated training hall at ymca setting, 1 high school setting),Naples(high school setting), Vero Beach ( high school setting), Bartow(High school setting) and centers slated to open in Miami/Ft Lauderdale, and Tallahassee later this year.

Coaching levels vary by center, most are Senior level Coaches or higher, a few have Club Coaches on staff that are working toward their senior level certification. All are welcome to train and learn, USAW membership is required to train on a regular basis.Some facilities have membership/facility fees. Team Florida Weightlifting

Old 04-26-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
For WOD's themselves, you should set yourself up with a good dumbell or barbell rig. That, as well as a place to do pullups and dips. Oh, and unless you have a good place to run, jumpropes are invaluable.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:17 PM   #4
William Sefton

Profile:  
Thanks for the info both of you. I will try that number, Lincoln, and check on a couple of those locations and what they offer.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:05 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Cheap "Olympic" weight sets run about $100. Run a search on homemade equipment on this message board and you could make alot of equipment (med balls, power rack, KBs, etc) go to wall mart and get a "swiss ball" you could use it for reverse hypers and situps. Buy used at garage sales for great deals. If you want to start to build a quality gym start with a olympic bar and bumper plates from BFS (see link on home page).
Old 04-27-2004, 08:10 AM   #6
Brian Hand

Profile:

I think if you want to go heavy on the olympic lifts, getting a good bar is more important than bumper plates. A platform to protect the floor is very easy and cheap to make, and you can train with metal plates on it without any major problem.

I don't see much advantage of a cheap olympic bar over the old fashioned solid 1" bar. The cheap ones don't spin freely. Some aren't even on bearings, so they might be worse than the 1" bar. Some bars are made so you can tune up the bearings and make a good bar from a cheapo, but that's only an option for machinists.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:39 AM   #7
Sebastian

Profile:

I have only been doing the crossfit thing for a little while but it seems like an weight set is about the only thing you need to buy. And olympic set or a 1" set, I don't think it matters. You just need some heavy iron. Admittedly, you may have to clean the weight to your shoulders for squats or something like that without a rack, but I am sure you can make do.

You might need a power rack of some sort. I don't think I would skimp on a rack, though. If the thing crashes down on you whilst you are racking a few hundred pounds you could get really hurt. I have even seen some racks at gyms get really wobbly when you get above 400 lbs.

I made a med ball the other day for ~$6 and had enough materials left over that I am going to make another heavier one for just the cost of a cheap basketball, probably <$5. So that would be two medicine balls for ~$10 and I even paid for sand! Heh, you can probably dig some dirt out the yard and get by $2 cheaper.

The hardest thing for me to come up with is a place to do pullups when it is raining. I work in a warehouse and do them on occassion from an I-beam I can get to from on top of the office. Outside you just need a playground with a swingset.

You need a flat bench for bench presses. You can get these pretty cheap, but make sure it is pretty solid before you buy it.

You _may_ want to get the 1" weight set (see above, heh) and then get some screw lock dumbbell handles. I have a set of these handles and they work pretty good, better than I would have thought. I have never gone above about 80# as that is about as much as mine were long enough for. If you are going to go 1" bar and screwlock dumbbell handles get a bunch of 10# plates because on dumbbells anything bigger than that gets kinda cumbersome.

Then, of course, you need stuff like jumpropes. I have done dips between two folding chairs before, but be careful if you are doing that. You have to make sure your weight does not get shifted too much and you need the chairs fairly close together. To ease the hands I got a couple hand towels and folded them up and placed them on the top of the backs.

In summary, the pieces _I think_ are most valuable in descending order, from a minimalist point of view:

1) A place to do pullups. The WOD calls for pullups about every other workout it seems. I have seen indoor pullup bars that go on your doorframe. Admittedly, I am not too excited about the moulding around my door holding me up, but they say it works.
2) 1" barbell set with dumbbell handles and some extra 10# plates
3) A medicine ball. The only reason I rank it so high is because it is very easy and cheap to make.
4) A power rack. I would not skimp much on this, though.
5) A dip stand of some sort.
6) A sturdy workout bench.

Accessories like a jumprope, dip stand, kettlebells, etc. you can make/buy as you come across them at a good deal or as you need them.

There is a local gym I belong to that only charges you $3 every time you visit rather than a monthly charge. It is pretty convenient when it is raining outside or the WOD calls for exercises I cannot do on my own.

Well, sorry this is so wordy. And, like I said, this is just my opinion. YOu might want to just look back over a few months of the archives and see what you need.

Good luck and stick with it!