CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Russ Bohlinger

Profile:
What excercise makes you puke everytime?

I know after I have done a hard WOD or set I yack in the trash can. It sucks to puke but I know when i do I have pushed it to the limit. What excercises makes everyone puke? I want to try and pics/videos welcomed...haha
Old 06-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
S.S.

Profile:

Re: What excercise makes you puke everytime?

Sigh.

I don't puke. Puking = bad.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

I'm with Shane on this one.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Albert Chang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Sigh.

I don't puke. Puking = bad.
+1. I've never puked, and I don't ever plan to. I've made great progress without puking.

I will admit, I've come close and I somehow managed to keep going without actually puking.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"but I know when i do I have pushed it to the limit."

No, you know that you have gone beyond sensible training, wasted nutrients, but more stress on your body that will need to be recovered from and will take away from training adaptations, not prepared for the work out correctly, not planned the workout accordingly generally look like a newb to anyone thats trained for awhile.

Don't puke, it's stupid.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Jared Ashley

Profile:

With all the others who said it means you went too far.

That said, it happened to me once, and I've had a few other workouts that made me nauseous for awhile. It always seems to be a combination of high-rep situps and air squats that make me feel the worst. "Angie" and "barbara" are the worst. Angie is the one that actually made me puke. I don't think it's actually the exertion that did it so much as the amount of stomach-churn that occurs with repeated fast up-and-down movement.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

OK, so clearly the field is against puking during/after workouts which are intended to create a training adaptation. The assumption is puking = no advantage in terms of improving physical capacity.

But what if your goal for that day is not first and foremost adaptation, but in testing your mental and physical toughness? Or you are in a competition and you want to win. Would not puking (assuming it was not created by extraneous factors such as eating too soon before working out) indicate that you had pushed yourself about as hard as you possibly could? After all, to keep from puking you typically dial down the intensity a little.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
OK, so clearly the field is against puking during/after workouts which are intended to create a training adaptation. The assumption is puking = no advantage in terms of improving physical capacity.

But what if your goal for that day is not first and foremost adaptation, but in testing your mental and physical toughness? Or you are in a competition and you want to win. Would not puking (assuming it was not created by extraneous factors such as eating too soon before working out) indicate that you had pushed yourself about as hard as you possibly could? After all, to keep from puking you typically dial down the intensity a little.
I have been in lots of high level competitions, as well as tested myself mentally and physically and have never ever puked due to exercise. All that means is I planned my meals well and have not trained myself to think puking is good. In most competitive circumstances puking is going to mess you up more than anything else, so getting to that point is going to be a detriment. And as for testing yourself... I dunno what to tell you, but if you need to puke to feel like you pushed yourself to the limit... maybe you need to reevaluate the limit you are trying to find?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

Fair enough. Good point about the competitions. You don't seem many CF competitors lose their lunch.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:01 AM   #10
Russ Bohlinger

Profile:

Ok usually if I puke, I puke up water and maybe a little bit of chunks. I know how to plan my meals and YES I am a young guy I wouldn't say newb to the work out scene. To me If I puke I have pushed it past my limits. I can always return the nutrients I have lost. I do train hard and where I work it is defenatly competitive. I understand if some old guys cant push it bc hips or shoulders...haha. I figured I would ask and see thoughts or stories. I really dont care about your opinion if people should puke or not. I understand it isnt the ideal way to end a workout. In my case it happens from time to time. I can also say that the intensity level I work at helps me crush the guys I work with. I was simply looking for WOD's or stories about puking bc you were so smoked. Thanks for your input and knowledge.