CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Brandon Fleeman

Profile:
I appear to have tennis elbow...will I ever return to normal?

Im a 24 year old male and I play hockey and lift weights and do cross fit from time to time.

I was arm wrestling a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it caused tennis elbow in my right arm. If I do pushups, or try to put a load on my right arm I will slowly get a throbbing pain in my right arm. The pain is on top of my forearm as well as around my bicep.

If I ice it, it goes away pretty fast but this is really keeping me from training with weights. I tried taping my arm when playing hockey but it barely did anything.

I'm seeing an orthopedic doctor next week, but what can I do in the mean time? Will this ever get back to normal?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: I appear to have tennis elbow...will I ever return to normal?

This may help wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

Ummm, yes you should rest and let it heal before it becomes chronic. IF it's tendonitis... it sounds like it may be but not enough infos to tell.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Sean Murray

Profile:

For Steven:
You ever come across 3D rehab techniques (Gary Gray of the Gray Institute)?
It involves biomechanics assessments and uses prehab/rehab movements to combat poor mechanics.
I've struggled with symptoms of tennis elbow since january and after 1 hour session this week I've had the pain reduced by around 80%. Start of the session I was flinching when he applied a little pressure at the tendon area. By the end he was applying a hell of a lot more pressure but with only minor discomfort. Hell of a difference considering I'd been seeing a physical therapist previously for 5 sessions with no improvement.

The movements involve a hell of a lot more than just the obvious focus areas (e.g eccentric movements of the extensors). My movements involved opening up some dysfunction in my right scapula/rotator cuff area. The movements look so odd as they involve more varied plains of motion than what I've seen with standard rehab and I've not come across anything like it before.

An ortho surgeon looked at it earlier on the same day and advised an eccentric programme which I'll probably still work on even though this 3D guy said I should be fine with the movements he's given me.

From what the guys told me its quite cutting edge stuff, so much so the medical community at large question its merits. I just care that it works and removes pain and allows me to get back to training. I'd seriously investigate it and see if you can find someone in your area that does this. This guy has got me squatting again after a year of major pain in that movemwnt. Also cleared up a lower back problem for me

Example clip from Gray Institute:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQI9BzHDznk
Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Sounds interesting.

I'll take a look at it.

Obviously, I do advise a FULL assessment on everything but there's little you can do over the internet.

MOst people with elbow problems have SOME functional loss of ROM or poor motor patterns at their wrist and or shoulders that helps manifest the problems in the elbows.

You need to address all of it to really fix the problem and not let it come back. Sounds a lot in line with how I would do an assessment which is promising.

As you know, I wrote this on the lower body based on stuff like that. Pretty much exactly what is discussed in that vid you posted. wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

Pretty interesting to see how he uses manual techniques to improve ROM there.

I am planning one for the upper body too but that's going to be another TON of research and time to write up. Which I don't have right now.

Last edited by Steven Low; 05-07-2010 at 06:13 PM..
Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Sean Murray

Profile:

At present most of us at the gym who've used him have looked to take care of problem areas but we can see that you could tirelessly go deeper into full body mechanics. Our head coach is looking to get him for injury clinics and basically encurage all of us to keep on top of our various biomechanics problems.

Money and time are usually the obstacles of going head to toe assessment all in one go, plus I think you could have a myriad of movements to work on with this stuff. I have three for my elbow and four for my knee problem. For ease you need a video to record them and avoid writing a lot of confusing instructions as the movements are very individual.

The methodology has some interesting and different thinking on many of the more familar protocols on stetching as well as rehab/prehab.

The biggest difference is the speed in reduction of pain and freedom of movement. Things I have been to physios for weeks of sessions have been improved greatly in a fraction of the time.

Next on the list is my shoulder impingment/improvement of ROM in the overhead bar position.