CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
Lee Lister

Profile:
My first full WOD workout this morning (I’m running a couple of days behind the official WOD, so it was Friday’s). I used 24lbs Dumbbells and found no problems with the weights, set, reps, but didn’t feel like I was getting the explosive thrust from the squat... should I continue with the weight and expect the explosiveness to develop or drop the weight and place more focus on the thrust component?
Any advice would be appreciated, Lee
Old 02-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Lee, if you focus, can you manage 1 or 2 explosive thrusters? Like the O-lifts, I find that you need intent to get the necessary explosiveness for thrusters. It is possible to go through the motions, but if you want the explosiveness you need to work for it. If you are comfortable with the weight, this would be my first suggestion.

Don't take this as patronising, not meant to be but depending on your sporting/ lifting background this explosiveness may be foreign. Just try to fire it up and see how you get along.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-12-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Greg Kemp

Profile:
Another Kemp, sweet.

Lee-
When you drive out on the thruster think of driving hard off of your heels and snap your hips forward. While snapping the hips forward drive the weight overhead. You will know you are doing it correctly if the weight clanks at the top from a forceful explosion. With DB's you might not get the same feeling with the clank, but you will notice a difference.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
Lee Lister

Profile:
Thanks Greg, my training background has been Kettlebells and traditional weights, but not a lot of squatting experience…
I have to admit that I wasn’t probably working for it as hard as I could, a little focused on it being the first WOD and been awhile since I was up at 5.45am to workouts... as we’re summer here in Aust, I’ve been enjoying the weather and evening workouts...
Would it be similar to driving the hips forward like in a KB swing but from a lower position?
Lee
Old 02-13-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Don Woodson

Profile:
Throw in a few sets of bullfrog jumps without any weights at all.
But take it from me--don't do them in your basement and knock yourself silly on a floor joist. I put a lump on my head, hurt my neck and couldn't work out at all for a while.
Also, duck walks help build explosiveness from the bottom. Then add some weight to the duck walks with a bar or log across your shoulders.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Tim Ulcoq

Profile:
just an idea,

i occasionally do thrusters with a sandbag, because its such a deadweight and a real bugger to move, so it leaves you no choice but to be explosive. I find that after doing a sandbag thrusters for a while, my dumbell thrusters are really explosive
Old 02-13-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
Lee Lister

Profile:
Thanks guys, as I've just finished making my sandbag, I'll give that a go as well...
Lee