CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Jim Southwell

Profile:
Cholesterol Results after Paleo

All,

I have searched under cholesterol and am not sure if what I'm seeing is bad or really bad (or maybe good)

I have been eating paleo for about 6 weeks. I've followed more of a CF Football version with milk included. I also drink 2-3 drinks 4ish days a week. (I know that is too much) My point is that I know that I'm not really following strict Paleo but I've still been eating whole foods, organic/local and very, very limited grains/breads and such. I also CF 4X per week and have put on considerable muscle (12lbs) over the past 6 months but yet stayed similar size. (So, body composition is shifting in the right direction)

That said, I just got bloodwork back from my Dr. and here is what I saw. The reason I am posting this as I have an appt. tomorrow and I want to be versed in what the community thinks of these results.

Total Cholesterol - 260
Triglycerides - 87
HDL - 62
VLDL - 17
LDL - 181

I'm hoping that the group can give these a quick once over and tell me the right questions I should be asking the Dr.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Paul Szoldra

Profile:
Re: Cholesterol Results after Paleo

American Heart Association has a good explanation of all this here: http://www.americanheart.org/present...identifier=183 (WFS).

The short short version is that Total Cholesterol should be less than 200, HDL above 40, LDL below 100, and TC/HDL Ratio should be less than 5. Finally, the Fasting Glucose level should be between 70-100.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Take Vitamin D wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-at-vitamin-d/

I recommend 10,000 IU then drop down to 5,000 IU after 6 weeks. If it's not bothering you at 10,000 IU feel free to stay there like I have.

If you're going in for questioning you might as well get vitamin D tested. I'd likely bet your deficient.

ONce D levels go up, LDL/cholesterol will go down. HDL may go down too but its all good.

Less cholesterol needed for external tissue (aka 7-dehydrocholesterol to the skin for vitamin D production) = less need for LDL and cholesterol synthesis in the body. Your numbers will drop.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Daniel Dean

Profile:

By AMA standards your total is way high and your HDL/LDL ratio is pretty out of whack, but it's hard to say much without knowing what your numbers looked like before the diet shift. Triglycerides are great.

Also, I don't want to say that you have nothing to worry about, but the link between total serum cholesterol and heart disease may be overstated http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...iovasc-men.gif (WFS)

You have only been doing this for 6 weeks. Try cutting down on the alcohol, adding Vit D as Steven suggests and get another test in 3-6 months and see if there are any significant changes.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Jim Southwell

Profile:

Good advice. I appreciate it. A couple elements to add.

1. Fasting Glucose was 99 a year ago and continues to be 99. I know this is high and diabetes runs in my family (Type 1 and 2). I do watch this regularly and had hoped to see it lower. I assume that reducing alcohol will affect this as well.

2. You're right, my Vitamin D was also low (28.8). I will bump up my Vitamin D dosage and get things retested in a few months.

3. I don't remember my ratios from a year ago. My total was 228 and we decided to just watch it at that time.

Thanks again. I just wanted to have my thoughts collected for the conversation tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Might also want to take a look at fish oil, did wonders for my blood work. I'm taking a little over 5 grams of combined EPA/DHA. Add to this 10,000 I.U's of vitamin D and started taking Niacin a few months ago on the doctor's suggestion.

I haven't had my cholesterol tested recently, due in a couple of months. I do keep tabs on my blood pressure and since I've started all of this I've went from an average of 120/80 to usually around 90/60.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I'm gonna up the vit d to 10k after this post, was taking 6k IU.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
Frank E Morel

Profile:

please donot Vit d supplement without a baseline bloodwork. Otherwise the possible event of kidney damage can incur
Old 02-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Dean View Post

Also, I don't want to say that you have nothing to worry about, but the link between total serum cholesterol and heart disease may be overstated http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...iovasc-men.gif (WFS)
A lot of reading I am doing supports this. Again, I am not about to stop taking the Crestor and start eating Big Macs.

I have "congenital" high cholesterol and my results after about 3 months in CF were a lot like yours. Very high HDL, but also high LDL and total serum chelsterol, with dramatic improvement on triglycerides.

One thing that I found interesting in my reading is that cholesterol HDL and LDL is (apparently) produced in response to inflammation. LDL goes out from the liver to the affected areas of the body, HDL returns it back (in simple terms) to be metabolized. Intuitively, it would follow that in your first few months of CF, you might be dealing with a great deal of chronic and acute inflammation, hence elevated levels of both kinds of cholesterol. But that's just my totally uneducated theory. Would love to hear more from someone with more of a scientific grounding.

I since started Crestor 10mg at my doctor's suggestion about 3 months ago, and also significantly reduced my intake of grains, alcohol, dairy and sugar (in that order). Now eat 90% grass fed meat, wild fish or wild game, free range/DHA eggs for my proteins. Also taking 1-2 grams of extra fish oil per day with 250 IU of Vitamin D3 and calcium/magnesium complex. And I've lost about 14 pounds since then, while gaining muscle.

I am really interested to see what my next test results are like. If they are dramatically improved, I might ask my doc about discontinuing the Crestor or going to a combination of low-dose policosanol (or Niacin) and CoQ10.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
I am really interested to see what my next test results are like. If they are dramatically improved, I might ask my doc about discontinuing the Crestor or going to a combination of low-dose policosanol (or Niacin) and CoQ10.
Why not just Niacin? The side effects of statins are ones i really don't care for at all. Are you taking a CoQ10 supplement with it?