CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Daniel Houck

Profile:
5x5 powerbuilding/Crossfit combo question

After searching online for powerlifting/crossfit combos, I've seen a few guys who use 1 day powerlifting w/ a 5x5 routine, followed by two days of crossfit, then one day rest.
1pl, 2cf, 1 rest.
I'm assuming one of the 5x5s is an upper body day (bench, rows) and the other is a squat day. My question is whether or how you change your 5x5 schedule based on crossfits-for example when you have a crossfit total assigned, do you skip it and do a metcon, or you you alter your 5x5?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Matt Corley

Profile:
Re: 5x5 powerbuilding/Crossfit combo question

You're going to have to pick and choose your WODs. That isn't to say cherry pick them but to make sure they complement what you already doing with the strength training.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Houck View Post
After searching online for powerlifting/crossfit combos, I've seen a few guys who use 1 day powerlifting w/ a 5x5 routine, followed by two days of crossfit, then one day rest.
1pl, 2cf, 1 rest.
I'm assuming one of the 5x5s is an upper body day (bench, rows) and the other is a squat day. My question is whether or how you change your 5x5 schedule based on crossfits-for example when you have a crossfit total assigned, do you skip it and do a metcon, or you you alter your 5x5?
What are you trying to accomplish? Are you a PL'er who is trying to get some GPP in, a crossfitter that wants to PL...? Since you mention 5x5 it sounds like you're just looking to increase strength. While powerlifting increases strength, 5x5 isn't specifically powerlifting.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Houck View Post
've seen a few guys who use 1 day powerlifting w/ a 5x5 routine, followed by two days of crossfit, then one day rest.
The problem with that is the CF model includes days like 5-5-5-5-5 (or 5x5) of the major weightlifting and powerlifting movements, and if you believe in the WOD programming (not saying that I do - I think that it's metcon-heavy and lacks in particular more useful and advanced gymnastics), then you ought to simply buy into CF. If you want to do a strength-hybrid, there are plenty of templates and programs available to use that are available on the forums, and I would suggest that you start at CFSB or CFFB if you don't already have experience programming for yourself. If you simply want a powerlifting routine, Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength is highly recommended for beginners and intermediate trainees. If you need help with the directions or programming, or are unfamiliar with something, post again and let us know - we'll hook you up.