CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Ariel DeNoto

Profile:
Help with eating right

Okay, so this is my first post..I was hoping I could find some useful help on my nutrition requirements and how I should be eating. I keep hearing stuff on the Zone diet and the Paleo diet..and both sound like good ideas, I just don't know how to go about doing them correctly. I've been to countless websites trying to find out everything I can about these diets, but yet I am still confused on how to fit it in to my everyday life. It's hard for me to eat these ways because I am fifteen, a junior in school, and in the midst of cross country season plus trying to crossfit.
I'm 5' 4", about 102 pounds and looking to put on some lean muscle!
Any help would be MUCH appreciated!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Jeff Evans

Profile:
Re: Help with eating right

Welcome. There is a lot of information here to help you. For starters, I suggest doing some searches through the forum for paleo and zone (or Google [w/fs] if you prefer). Also check out this (w/fs) "New to the Forum" post. For Zone you may also want to buy Sears' book (Enter the Zone), and for Paleo check out this website (w/fs). When looking at any thread on the board, check out the Similar Threads section at the bottom.

Once you have done some ground work on the basics, you can post your more detailed or nuanced questions here and will definitely get some interesting responses.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I'm sorry, but I certainly don't suggest a 15 year old athlete who is already underweight should be trying to implement the Zone or Paleo diet.

Ariel - what is your diet like right now? What is prompting you to change it? Simply the fact that you need to gain some weight? If so, simply take what you are eating now, and eat more!

No need to make drastic dietary changes, measure your food, or cut out entire food groups. You are young, active and still growing.

Eat good food and plenty of it.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
I'm sorry, but I certainly don't suggest a 15 year old athlete who is already underweight should be trying to implement the Zone or Paleo diet.

Ariel - what is your diet like right now? What is prompting you to change it? Simply the fact that you need to gain some weight? If so, simply take what you are eating now, and eat more!
+1

If you were an adult, you'd be at least 20 pounds underweight. Since you're still growing *and* pretty active, you need even more fuel than that. Eat anything that will hold still long enough.

Katherine
Old 08-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Rob Cornell

Profile:

If you're running cross country I doubt you can really put on too much weight, but I could be wrong. You certainly don't need to worry about dieting.

Don't do crossfit in addition to your daily practice. Your body needs to rest when you're not running, otherwise you'll be crossfitting to the detriment of your races. If you want to pursue crossfit and weight gain, do it when you're not in cross country season.

Many people will tell you that it's very difficult to build lean muscle without gaining fat, and they're right. Since you're young, and your metabolism is likely to be enormously fast, I wouldn't suggest that you adhere to the strict Paleo or Zone diets found here. Each is great as far as healthy diet practices go, but they can be a pain if your only goal is adding muscle. It can be done, but the short answer is the same as it would be anywhere else: eat 2-2.5x the amount you currently eat.

That said, as long as you're in cross country it may be your destiny to be underweight. I did not know a single long distance runner that was muscular. They were all skinny.

If you really want to stick to Paleo, that's fine. What matters most in your case is upping your calorie intake. If you do hit the food and gym after your season, both will be a strain on your body, and at 15 I doubt that you have much experience in the weight room, so I do NOT think you should just dive right in and start tossing weights around. Take your time, slowly increasing the amount you eat, and learning proper form with a friend or coach in a weight room. Anyone that has spent time in a gym knows "the guy" that is just starting out, using bad form, and hurts himself by getting overconfident. Don't be that guy.

Once your form is good and you're familiar with the exercises, up the amount of food you eat and lift hard. Above all else, be careful. I can't stress that enough. You may be young, but you're also underweight. Your body will need to adjust to the weight lifting.

GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day), in addition to lots of food, is also an option for somebody starting out, but at your age and weight I'd do half a gallon at most. People commonly put on 20lbs in a month doing GOMAD, and I fear that would be too much for your body to handle.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Ariel DeNoto

Profile:

Thanks to everyone who replied for the useful information and advice

My crossfit coach has basically told me everything that has been said here..to just simply eat more to fuel my body for everything I'm doing. I was just looking at the best way to do that. I have a pretty good idea of what to eat though, being nutrition has been a fixation of mine for a few years now.
I may be 15 (almost 16 in October) but I think I have a pretty good idea of proper form and exercises to do thanks to my coaching.

I have been crossfiting since late March and already have seen significant gains. But who hasn't seen huge gains doing crossfit?
During this cross country season my goals will definantly be cross country orientated..trying to get my best 5k time down by a few minutes (best time is 22:43).

My crossfit coach and I are working up a plan so after the season I can train hard crossfit and hopefully in a few years maybe work up to the games! (Haha, in my dreams!)