CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-21-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
Lawrence Lu

Profile:  
I did my first Tabata This yesterday, and it was great. The only thing that I was concerned about is that my rowing score was only a 4, and my best effort was only a 6. In the Crossfit FAQ example, it has a score of TWELVE for the row. Is that even possible? After the workout, I tried a full effort for 20 seconds and could only burn 7 calories ... What is a good number to shoot for for the Tabata Row?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Lawrence,

I had a little play around on a concept 2 the other day at my friend's gym, and I was getting a calorie every 2 - 3 strokes. I was pulling quite hard, and I am fairly tall (6'1"), which helps, but I can't imagine your calorie rate would have been THAT much slower. Maybe the machine was faulty?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
Lawrence Lu

Profile:  
The thing is, when I went full out for 20 seconds, at about a 1:20/500m pace, i could only barely get 7 calories ... I guess I'll play around a little more today.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Lawrence - 4 is a little low but it was down from 6 as a result of fatigue and 6 is OK. During FGB at the certification seminar this weekend I pulled for a 21 for each of the 3 rounds. I started on the rower so I had the full minute. By contrast I'm good for a Tabata row score of 8. Your FGB 4 row score will be less than 3x your Tabata score.

I doubt your rower is broken, but I'd take a look at the damper setting. If you have it up at 10 your pulls will feel like your pulling a barn door with oar locks towing the barn. Drop it down to 4 and you will get a faster pull.

When you pull from the hole take two or three short pulls to get the fan going and then extend to your full pull strokes. Look in the upper right hand corner of your data screen and keep your SPM (strokes per minute) somewhere in the neighborhood of 30...anyway, that's what I do. Play with that number and find what yields you the best distance per stroke and fastest time per 500. Just like with the Olympic lifts your arms are simply ropes that attach your legs to the pull handle. Start with the legs and no arm bend and as you get to max leg extension start leaning backwards and pull to between belly button and nipple line. Breathe out as you pull and take a short rest and breathe in as you pull back to the starting position.

Keep rowing, incredible metabolic challenge. Start keeping score so you can see how you improve over time.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
John Frazer

Profile:
My office gym has an old Concept II (at least 8 years old) with no variable damper -- it is really something. Must be equivalent of at least a 6 on the damper.

Tried to warm up on it before "Cindy" the other day and set a new PR for the 500m because I had no choice! (Then still nailed a 50% improvement on "Cindy" since February.)

John