CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:13 AM   #121
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whitley View Post
I think a lot of people who say they hate CF really just don't like Glassman. In the above quote Glassman never states what HIS personal Fran time is, but chooses to take a shot at someone with 26 minute Fran. He talks about Robb Wolf being able to outlift a powerlifter, but never states what HIS 1RM's are in any lift.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have a guy like Ross Enamait (www.rosstraining.com WFS) who promotes a training system that is very similar to CF. He doesn't regularly badmouth other training regimes, and is pretty open to any type of training as long as it produces results. When someone on his forum essentially asserted that you couldn't really get strong doing Ross's program (which is essentially based on bodyweight exercises and dumbell variations of Olympic lifts) Ross responded by posting a video of HIMSELF deadlifting 500lb at a BW of 170lb. No rhetoric. No charts. Just a video of himself nearly deadlifting 3x his BW as proof that his program can get you strong.

I guess what I'm saying is that you are going to get a lot more respect if your body can cash the checks your mouth is writing. Talk the talk all day, but you have to be able to walk the walk if you want anyone to take you seriously.
So Coach goes out and knocks out a 1 minute Fran and all of a sudden the program is valid. Is it really neccesary for the inventor of something to be the best at it? Is it OK if he can have others demonstrate the result of his programming?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #122
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
I think a lot of people who say they hate CF really just don't like Glassman. In the above quote Glassman never states what HIS personal Fran time is, but chooses to take a shot at someone with 26 minute Fran. He talks about Robb Wolf being able to outlift a powerlifter, but never states what HIS 1RM's are in any lift.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have a guy like Ross Enamait (www.rosstraining.com WFS) who promotes a training system that is very similar to CF. He doesn't regularly badmouth other training regimes, and is pretty open to any type of training as long as it produces results. When someone on his forum essentially asserted that you couldn't really get strong doing Ross's program (which is essentially based on bodyweight exercises and dumbell variations of Olympic lifts) Ross responded by posting a video of HIMSELF deadlifting 500lb at a BW of 170lb. No rhetoric. No charts. Just a video of himself nearly deadlifting 3x his BW as proof that his program can get you strong.

I guess what I'm saying is that you are going to get a lot more respect if your body can cash the checks your mouth is writing. Talk the talk all day, but you have to be able to walk the walk if you want anyone to take you seriously.
whoa boy. now we're really talking about the elephant in the room...

Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #123
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Next are you going to claim Bill Bellichick isn't really that good unless he tackles Troy Polamalu and posts a video of it on YouTube? But when he does, he'll have put his money where his mouth is, and he'll validate his reputation.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #124
Oscar Del Ben

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Montesinos View Post
Iv been reading a lot on the forums and boards of other weight training sites and heard comments from other well known strength and conditioning coaches making negative comments about crossfit. Out of all the type of lifters, bodybuilders, powerlifters, olympic lifters, and other sport athletes, it seems to me that one thing they agree on is the dislike for crossfit. Want to hear other peoples opinions on this.
Maybe you should ask them why they don't like crossfit, but be careful not to accept every opinion that comes

Old 07-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #125
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Coach has said he is competitive in the WODs, even at his age. Granted this was a couple of years back, in the comments section. (and yes, someone called him out then, and he got ****ed). A little proof would go a long way towards validating some of the other claims. If you talk the talk, it really really helps if you can also walk the walk...

And, how to put this delicately, he's giving out a lot of dietary advice that it's hard to believe he is following, unless there are medical issues we don't know about. If that is the case, then of course, he has every right to his privacy.

I have the greatest respect for the guy's programming, character, intelligence and speaking ability, but whether he likes it or not, he IS the face of Crossfit. His politics, his appearance, his own fitness levels...these things all become fair game when you make the kind of public claims he does.

I don't think anyone expects or insists that a coach be the best in their field. Only the most churlish would look at Mark Rippetoe squatting 300lbs for 10 reps at his age and with his history of injuries and say that his program must suck because he's not squatting 700lbs. But it's pretty clear the dude is still training his *** off, and would break me like a twig. Sure, after reading his book, i'd listen to him if he couldn't lift a pencil. But...300lbs is 300lbs! It speaks for itself. If I do what Rip tells me, hey I might have a shot at lifting that much when i'm his age. It commands respect.

Last edited by Cormac O'Connor : 07-24-2009 at 06:53 AM.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #126
George Noble

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
I think Coach summed it up nicely last year:

The stir here, the need to call me a liar, the need to hate CF, and it's attendant need to find something, anything, anything false or even remotely misleading among literally thousands of pages of CF material, comes from those who hate CF. Those haters have a home in ********. I don't believe the ******** crowd really has problems with my statements. I believe their issue is more related to 26 minute Frans and the like. Many, perhaps most, of the regulars at ******** once posted here under real names on the msg boad, and in comments, or worked out at affiliates. All of those that we know to be real people fit that description. One of the powerlifting loudmouths at ******** got bested by a 75 pound lighter Robb Wolf regularly at 1RM lifts and left with his tail tucked to rail against CrossFit at ********, another young man actually posted a 26 minute Fran in comments and is an Icon at ********. It's my presumption that these two individuals are representative of the entire site. Remember, this is a site where graphically imagined depictions of murder of me and my wife were seen as funny (with a Philadelphia PA, assistant DA prosecuting cybercrimes contributing in the same thread), and antisemitism and racism are de rigeur.
Well there seems to be some confusion over there about who I was referring to when I said someone was missing <300 lb squats, so presumably that means a few of them are in such a position. The GG quote seems accurate then.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #127
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac O'Connor View Post
Coach has said he is competitive in the WODs, even at his age. Granted this was a couple of years back, in the comments section. (and yes, someone called him out then, and he got ****ed). A little proof would go a long way towards validating some of the other claims. If you talk the talk, it really really helps if you can also walk the walk...

And, how to put this delicately, he's giving out a lot of dietary advice that it's hard to believe he is following, unless there are medical issues we don't know about. If that is the case, then of course, he has every right to his privacy.

I have the greatest respect for the guy's programming, character, intelligence and speaking ability, but whether he likes it or not, he IS the face of Crossfit. His politics, his appearance, his own fitness levels...these things all become fair game when you make the kind of public claims he does.

I don't think anyone expects or insists that a coach be the best in their field. Only the most churlish would look at Mark Rippetoe squatting 300lbs for 10 reps at his age and with his history of injuries and say that his program must suck because he's not squatting 700lbs. But it's pretty clear the dude is still training his *** off, and would break me like a twig. Sure, after reading his book, i'd listen to him if he couldn't lift a pencil. But...300lbs is 300lbs! It speaks for itself. If I do what Rip tells me, hey I might have a shot at lifting that much when i'm his age. It commands respect.
I must be missing something here.

Great coaches produce athletes who can accomplish great feats. Athletes accomplish the great feats.

Why is it okay to ask a coach (Glassman, Mark Rippetoe, Mike Boyle, Bill Belichik, anyone else) to do what you expect their athletes to do or to criticize them because they can't? Doesn't it make more sense to see what the people they have coached can do instead?

Closed Thread