CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
Marissa Owens

Profile:
From Rower to Crossfitter... Marissa's Workout Log

Since this is my first post, period, I'll give a little introduction and background before going into my workout log part.

My name is Marissa, I'm 25, and I just started doing CrossFit about 2.5 weeks ago. I was a lightweight rower through high school and in college, and while I loved rowing (even continued to do a little coaching after college), I was definitely ready for a break once I graduated. Unfortunately, the break ended up being a little too long and I fell out of the intense workout routine that had forced me to stay in shape for those years. I ended up staying in some sort of shape, but as time went on I started longing for those intense, make you feel like you want to die, workouts. However, my only workout partner is the type that things 30 minutes on the elliptical and some light lifting constitutes a workout. Just getting her TO the gym was a struggle, so I knew anything intense would be beyond comprehension. I am also the type of person that sort of needs that team atmosphere and a coach telling me what to do, so I didn't want to venture into doing CrossFit by myself without any guidance.

One of my friends had mentioned something about CrossFit last November and it sounded interesting, but I couldn't justify spending the money and driving 40 minutes to work out. I just sort of resigned myself to the usual boring routine and stayed in "okay" shape. Then a few weeks ago I gave Google one more shot and looked for CrossFit in the Saratoga area and alas, Chris and Susan of CrossFit Saratoga had just put up their website, so I called and went over the next day for an intro session. It's been 2.5 weeks and I'm hooked. I look forward to going every morning and wish I could go on the days I can't make it. I even sort of somewhat enjoy getting back on a rower, even though it gave me nightmares in college...

Now onto at least the past few workouts. I won't go back and back-log everything... well, maybe later if I have time (although let's be honest, I have all the time in the world right now, being a teacher and having summer's off is the greatest), just in case I ever lose my journal I'll have my stuff in another place.

Saturday's WOD: Partner Barbara
Rather than doing Barbara with the 3 minute rest after each round, we did it with a partner where you would do your 50 squats, your partner does 50 squats, etc. It took a really long time.
Time (total for the 2 of us): 47:53

Yesterday:
Warmup: 1x 500m row
3x 5 pullups (with the least resistance band), 10 pushups, 15 pushups
WOD:
5x5 press
45lbs x5
50x5
55x5
60x5
65x4

5 rounds for time
-50 squats
-100 jump ropes (single)
Time: 18:52. That would have been SO much faster if I wasn't such a spaz with a jump rope. Seriously, I'm awful. I still have to do the double-hops and I can't do more than maybe 20 (that's pushing it) without getting tangled in the rope. I'm going to go out today and buy a jumprope so that I can practice on my own and not look quite so inept at them.

No WOD today, I have a tennis match tonight. Maybe I'll head over to the courts a little early and work on my serve.

Looking forward to doing more logging and jumping in on other posts here!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Mike Kerce

Profile:
Re: From Rower to Crossfitter... Marissa's Workout Log

welcome Marissa! sounds like you've got the fever - gets the best of us! don't worry about the jump rope, you'll get it down. i started two months ago and had maybe jumped a rope 5 times in my life...i can do singles without tripping up and can "almost" do doubles now. literally everything that seems impossible right now - you can and will do if you stick to it 100%. you'll get it down in no time - especially if you practice. good luck and welcome!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
David S Shiroma

Profile:

Hi Marissa,
Welcome to the CF forums. The great thing I've found about CF is the numerous skills that you can work on. Everything that's technically challenging is something you can work at and get better, and it feels great when you "get it".

I rowed(lightweight mens) in college as well(only a year though.... had to focus on my studies after that) I miss it, but loathe the erg. :P Being on the water does something psychologically for me that a machine just can't replicate. (I don't miss the torn up hands though)

Hope to see you around the forums.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Marissa Owens

Profile:

No tennis match tonight due to the weather. Rescheduled it to next Monday, which worked for me because I was able to go to spinning. I've been doing CF every M, W, F, and Sat. and continuing to go to spinning on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I think the spinning gives me the same type of intensity that I get with CF, even though it's different.

Diet-wise I have been zoning for the past 2+ weeks or so and I've lost about 4 pounds. It's sort of an adjustment but not too much, although I am really enjoying how clean I am eating. In the past if I wanted to lose weight, I would combine my exercise routine with Weight Watchers. Although it worked, I now realize how ridiculous the whole counting points thing is when you really just have to put different types of food in your body to start feeling better. Eating carrots all day so that you can have a big hot fudge sundae for dinner is just not the way to go about it. I didn't really eat a lot of processed foods to begin with, but changing my diet, I realize I ate more of it than I thought. There are a lot of things in my cabinet that I haven't touched in 2 weeks.

I don't think I have a "goal weight" per se, as I'm not really sure how my body is going to change as I continue CF. I really just want to be leaner and stronger, and whatever weight I happen to fall at while being both of things will be fine.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:25 AM   #5
Marissa Owens

Profile:

This morning's workout:
Warmup: 3x
50 jump ropes
5 pullups
10 OHS (w/PVC)
5 dips
15 situps

Deadlift: 5x5
So the girl that I was deadlifting with and I thought that the bar we were using was 35 pounds and that we were just really strong today. Our bubble was burst around the 3rd set when we were told that it was only 15 pounds, so that's why our weights go up in weird increments.
5 x 65lbs
5 x 75lbs
5 x 95lbs
5 x 115lbs
5 x 130lbs

5 rounds for time:
200m row
15 squats
10 pushups
Time: 10:06. I probably would've had a faster time had I run it instead of rowed, but I have a bad knee so I try to row instead so that it doesn't bother me as much. I know that I lose time getting in and out of the footstretchers, but that can't really be avoided.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Martin Whitmore

Profile:

Sounds like you're off to a *fantastic* start, Marissa! Keep us posted... I can see you really tearing it up! (^_^)
Old 07-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #7
Marissa Owens

Profile:

So yesterday I was going to go to spinning, but I had a last minute tennis match scheduled for this morning and I wasn't feeling all that confident about it so I went down and played with my dad for an hour and a half instead. That went well, I actually beat my dad in a few games, which rarely happens, so we'll see how this morning goes...

Here's this morning's workout:
Warmup: 3 rounds of
10 squats
10 situps
10 pullups (did them all with the lightest resistance band!)
10 dips

Front Squat: 5x5
This was my first time doing front squat in several years and when we did them in college, we did them on a smith machine, so I suppose I've never really done a *real* front squat...
5x65lbs
5x75lbs
2x85lbs (dumped the bar about 1/3 of the way back up...)
5x75lbs
5x80lbs

7 rounds of:
7 burpees
7 squats
Time: 6:36. Now on the surface this looks like it wouldn't be so bad, but by round 2 we were joking about how it really sucks when doing squats is the "lighter" part of the WOD.

Now I have 20 more minutes to rest before my tennis match...
Old 07-25-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
Marissa Owens

Profile:

I had my first experience with Fight Gone Bad this morning. We did it with a partner and instead of doing the rest in between each full round, we built in some rest where I would do box jumps, then my partner would do them, then I would row, my partner would row, etc. My partner and I came in third of 4 teams, but beat the other all girl team (the other two were all guys). I am TIRED now. Good thing tomorrow is a rest day, although I may go out and play some tennis.

Food-wise I'm doing well, trying very hard to make sure my meals are properly balanced. I went shopping with my friend yesterday who is trying to lose weight, and her newest method to do this is by counting calories. I tried to steer her away from that and explain the importance of what you eat, not necessarily how much you eat. For instance, we went to Panera for lunch and while I got a salad with all sorts of protein on it, she got a plain garden salad (no chicken or anything on it) and a bowl of broccoli cheddar soup, thinking that the salad balanced out the soup. I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time not criticizing what people eat all the time...
Old 07-26-2009, 05:35 AM   #9
Marissa Owens

Profile:

Stepped on the scale this morning. Lost 5 pounds since starting to zone 3 weeks ago.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

Woot! Good job on the weightloss! Sounds like you're really doing well with the workouts! Fun!!!