CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #21
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: CrossFit and/vs Yoga

Going back to the OP - taking time off from CF probably allowed some of the adaptations to sink in. The yoga probably helped, but not to the extent that if you practiced yoga, yoga, and only yoga, your Fran time would endlessly improve. I do think that most people on these boards have not fully comprehended the power of gymnastics training, and yoga is a pretty good way to train gymnastics capacity. Ultimately, though, it doesn't replace the p-bars, pull-up bar, and rings - and definitely not the barbell.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #22
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzah Harper View Post
Okay, this made me ...anyone done pullups lately? Pushups? Muscleups? Situps? Air squats? Let alone gymnastics-type moves that involve leverage to a high degree? And they can't make you stronger?

I still disagree that yoga won't increase strength, but yes, improved quality of life is pretty nice.
Did you read my first post only, and not the the further clarifications?

In any case, this thread has degenerated somewhat, and I fear I have been a prime mover in this particular direction. I chose to neglect to ask myself my two 'screening' questions before hitting 'Submit Reply';
"Why am I actually answering this?", and
"Will this actually help?"

Apologies to Rachel, Katherine, and all posters.
I was simply being argumentative, not constructive, and offered little in the way of a positive addition to the discussion.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #23
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I pretty much agree with what Justin had to say in the first place. Working with BW helped a lot of prioperception and motor learning. In fact, I wonder how well you moved before. I have read a few articles on T-nation ( maybe CP ) where it stated working on mobility led to increases in strength lifts.

Mmm, gravy goes good with mashed potatoes, especially red mashed potatoes and chicken fried steak or chicken.

Bad thing about yoga clothes. A young boy came in one day all decked out in yoga attire and another little boy ( the strongest in that rec class and kind of wild ) asked why there was a girl in our class. Those shorts were horrible and they weren't even the Lulu shorts. I would beat my parents with a stick if they let me wear that sort of stuff out in public. Haven't seen that kid since which is too bad since he did well that day. Tech fabrics are good and you can wear them in CF, the lines of their pants and shorts are horrible though. There is a young guy in the adult class who wears him and I would bet good money he is slightly effiminate ( besides being from Davis ) based on those pants.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #24
Damien Del Russo

Profile:

Wow, good conversation. Thanks for all the feedback.

As I hinted in the title, I think the answer, for me at least, is yoga AND CF. Probably in about a 4-2 mix, perhaps 5-1. I won't ever be in the CF Games, but then I also experience a lot less pain ;-)

The perfect yoga studio, for me, would have a pull-up bar or rings. With that tool yoga classes could cover a lot of the gap with CF. But now we're talking fusion/fantasy.

As for getting ripped without weights, while they don't do yoga, check out the "Bartendaz" on youtube. They aren't using weights and they can do a lot more with a pull-up bar than the vast majority of athletes, and I include elite CFers in that statement.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope some people consider working yoga in with their CF - particularly those who may have hip or back issues, or have hit a plateau. My experiences certainly indicate you won't get weaker and you very well might break through some walls.

Enjoy,

Damien
Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #25
Johnny Miglino

Profile:

Thanks for the post Damien, I have been wondering about the potential benefits of Yoga and flexibility as it pertains to Crossfit. I have been doing Crossfit 5-6x/wk for about 8 months now and only within the last 2 months have I really felt the negative effects of my inflexibility. I am always cramping, constantly mildly sore after a good workout, joints are VERY sore, and always tight and achey in the morning getting out of bed.

My affiliate gym does not focus on stretching as part of the daily routine. They will have you stretch the first few times you come, but when your on your own, it's never spoke of again.

After doing a lot of thinking, researching, and observing (a few friends are 75% yoga 25% resistance training), I would have to whole-heartedly agree with Larry in that the improved flexibility is allowing your muscles to be used much more efficiently, therefore bringing out their true strength. Yes, even deadlift.

This is a very touchy and theory-involved subject, and I believe that the only way we can come to an agreement is to study more testimonials like yours. I believe that it is not necessarily "yoga" complimenting crossfit, but the new found flexibility that it the practice brings.

As soon as I heal from my inflexibility injury, I will start yoga 3-4x/wk. I'll keep you posted.

JNM
Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #26
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Miglino View Post
As soon as I heal from my inflexibility injury, I will start yoga 3-4x/wk. I'll keep you posted.

JNM
Reconsider that statement. Good Yoga is a form of medicine that is prescribed in India to heal the body.
Talk to your Yoga teacher about your issues, see what their comments are, but there are postures that will help you. Trust me on this.

If you do not have qualified teachers in your area, don't waste your time with yoga.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #27
Joyce Tipping

Profile:

I know this thread is kind of old, but I thought this book might shed some light on your experience: Slow Burn, by Frederick Hahn.

Here's the theory: (I lost my copy of the book, so I'm citing this from memory; sorry if there are any inaccuracies.) Explosive strength comes from your fast twitch muscles. Unfortunately, your fast twitch muscles are also the hardest muscles to work. Whenever you begin to put strain on your body, it will first sacrifice the slow twitch muscles, move on to the medium twitch muscles, and only as a last resort does it use the fast twitch muscles.

Hahn believes that the best way to work your fast twitch muscles is to use an intense load and very slow movements so as to completely eliminate momentum. This puts the entire load on your muscles, bringing them to exhaustion faster; it also has the added benefit that it protects your joints and ligaments. His regimen advocates the heaviest weight you can bear while maintaining good form, no more than 6-8 reps, and v-e-e-e-ry slow movements (10 seconds up, 10 seconds down ... per rep!).

Anyway, I did Slow Burn for a while, so I'm very familiar with the feeling of muscular exhaustion. It's an odd one -- nothing hurts, but when you go to do something, your muscles just give out from under you (and the next day, you're sore as hell). I don't pretend to know anything about Crossfit, but I've been doing yoga for several months now, and I bring my muscles to exhaustion during every C2 class ... I often have trouble walking out of the studio. :)

Anyway, I find the Slow Burn philosophy a useful one to keep in mind, since almost any activity can be made more or less isometric and involve more or less momentum.

Interesting thread, by the way! Thanks for posting.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #28
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"since almost any activity can be made more or less isometric and involve more or less momentum."

Except sports or activities where you have to move (all of them).
Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #29
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Del Russo View Post
I'll let you all share your thoughts, and then I'll post my thoughts on CF and/vs yoga.
The community would be much better off overall if we thought "CF and..." rather than "CF vs...." when we're talking about other fitness regimens.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #30
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

It depend on the program. Some, like 531, SS, CFSB, etc are complete programs, or at least as complete as CF. IN that case it is a vs, since you couldn't do both.

Then there are programs which address things CF does not and in that case it would be a case of combination. Examples of this would be yoga and sports training (skill work, practice).