CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-16-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
John de la Garza

Profile:
I've seen some pictures of different kb exercises and it looks like the kbs swing up and over your hand crashing into your forearm. Is this so? or do you do it in a way that it softly lands? I'm considering getting a kb but don't want to have something constantly bruising my arm.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:20 AM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

John, you do catch them lightly, it takes a little practice to get the hang of it. You don't just pull straight up and let it flop over with your arm straight at the top.

Picture this: you only pull the thing to the approximate height of the finish position. Then you dip down and shoot your arm up so the thing flips and you catch the KB on the back of your forearm while it is nearly motionless at the top of its arc. That's not a great description but if you fool around with it a little you'll get the hang of it.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:29 PM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Mike Mahler teaches the KB clean by telling his students to 'do an uppercut into the bell.' This means that, like Brian said, you dip underneath the bell, but you actively make contact with it by 'punching' your forearm up into it rather than letting it fall on your forearm.

When I tell this to people, some of them get it, and some don't; I just learned it by hitting myself over and over again until I finally got it.

It actually helps to pull the KB a little LOWER than the finish position, so that you HAVE to dip and punch to catch it. The trick is to do this while keeping your elbow 'glued to your torso' so that you aren't trying to catch it with your bicep.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
John de la Garza

Profile:
Have you taken any of Mike Mahler's classes? He is having a workshop in Santa Monica soon and I am considering going.

Just was wondering what you thought of him in general.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:51 AM   #5
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Yeah, I went to his Advanced KB Workshop in Alexandria, Virginia, earlier this year. He moves the class quickly from exercise to exercise, giving people just enough to practice and learn it. This works for two reasons: First, he knows how to describe and demonstrate the exercises very well. Second, a more distinctively, he has a certain charismatic enthusiasm that puts people on the spot and encourages them to do their best.
Each of the SrRKCs has taken pains to bring their own style to KBs. Mike is no exception. The workshop that I went to was chock-full of Mixed Martial Arts-applicable drills; palm cleans to teach impact absorbtion, bottoms-up cleans to teach keeping the wrist and forearm in one line, elementary hand-to-hand juggling drills for coordination and grip stamina. He didn't beat us over the head with the MMA emphasis, but it was definetely there. I'm not at all involved in MMA, and it was interesting rather bothersome to me.
Mike's other emphasis is the combination of bodyweight and kettlebell exercises. These are tough - for example, he shows you a bunch of ways to add KBs into a burpee. There were also cool lunge variations with kettelbells.
I don't know how much the Workshop you're going to will resemble this one. If it's a basic rather than 'advanced' workshop, he'll probably spend most if not all the time on more basic exercises.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:53 PM   #6
Kraig S Youmans

Profile:  
Also you can use your grip strength to control the velocity of the KB. It takes practice and at first you will get beat up but you can get the techniques figured out in a couple of hours. Mike Mahler is a great guy and I would highly reccomend all of his classes.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:42 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Kraig, nice T-mag T-shirt. The cool thing about Mahler is he was a poster on the T-Mag forum. . .just a regular guy like us. He decided to make fitness his life and bam, here we are talking about him.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:38 PM   #8
Kraig S Youmans

Profile:  
Mike Mahler, Ian King, Crossfit And T-Mag have made a huge impact on my life. Last year I started the Nor-Cal Kettlebell Association and coach Glassman and Greg Admundson showed up at our first meeting on the beach in Rio Del Mar Ca.