CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 03-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Damien Del Russo

Profile:
South Calgary CrossFit

With CrossFit Calgary way up in the NW and True Crossfit kind of inconvenient, I am hoping to find a couple CrossFitters in southern Calgary. I live in Evergreen and have my own gym. It has some limitations, primarily height (no box jumps, or ball throws), but I have most of what I need:

Concept 2
Kettlebells (8, 12, 16, 24, 32kg)
Rings (low hanging)
Squat cage w/ pull-up bar
X-Vest (up to 40 lbs)
Rubber floor (light duty)
Jump-stretch bands (for sprints or assistance/resistance)
Slosh Pipe (6', ~40 lbs)
Olympic Bar (25lb bumpers, rest of weight is metal for now)
PVC and assorted bars, weights, jump rope, etc

Once the weather gets nice we'll have the garage, so box jumps, ball throws, and other such exercises will be on the menu then.

My wife and I both do workouts at different times, so we can discuss schedules once I find out if anyone out there is interested.

Damien
ddelruss@mac.com (or reply in forum)

Last edited by Damien Del Russo; 03-10-2009 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: added information
Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Damien Del Russo

Profile:
Re: South Calgary CrossFit

OK, not much interest thus far. I finally found the True CrossFit schedule so I'll check 'em out and see if I can recruit in person.

Damien
Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:

I live a few blocks from the South YMCA. Usually I find myself there evenings/weekends or at Eau Claire Y during lunch.

Eau Claire, South, and Shawnessy YMCA also offer CrossFit (run by CFC staff) on weekday evenings (except Fridays). I've been doing those classes for about a year now (Mondays in the fall/winter at ECY, and Tuesdays in the spring/summer at Heritage/South).
Old 03-18-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
Damien Del Russo

Profile:

Thanks Kurt! Had no idea about that. I am pretty close to the Shawnessy Y (man that place gets packed!) so I will look it up. Also I work right near Eau Claire so that may work.

Thanks again!

Damien
Old 03-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:

No problem.

Here's the YMCA's (WFS) program guidebook: http://www.ymcacalgary.org/web/data/...nd_Fitness.pdf

The CrossFit classes are listed on page 2.

ECY gets packed at lunch, but usually I'm able to pull together enough space to do a WOD. They've got some renos coming up, so the weight room will be shut down for a few weeks. I'm excited that they're installing a lifting platform, hopefully they get bumpers, kettlebells and a good pullup station too. Details on the renos are here: http://www.ymcacalgary.org/web/Defau...id=3182&lang=1 (WFS)

The weekly classes are mostly metcons. Unfortunately the Y's don't have enough Oly bars to do strength days (and no multi-person pullup stations either), so the classes are somewhat limited in that respect. Other than that, they're still very good.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Lisa Makofka

Profile:

Hey Damien,

I also live in Evergreen and do my workouts at home in my basement alone and would absolutely love to get together and do the WODs with other people. I have a kettlebell, medicine ball and 300 pounds of weights no concept 2 unfortunately. But if you would like to get to together email me and hopefully we can work something out lamakofka@yahoo.ca

Thanks
Lisa