CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Leela Corman

Profile:
Adequate Sub For Pullups, For When There Is No Bar?

I don't have a pullup bar at home, and there are times when the schedule is just too packed to schlep to the gym. Is there anything I can sub for pullups if I want to do something like today's workout, Barbara, at home? Chair dips or something? Or is that ridiculous? Should I just do burpees until I pass out?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Dan Donche

Profile:
Re: Adequate Sub For Pullups, For When There Is No Bar?

Do you have any trees outside? Or how about a really strong door? Door pullups are a pretty good substitute.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Leela Corman

Profile:

Hahahah oh man. I'm not laughing at you, I promise - I'm laughing at circumstances. I live in a poorly-constructed New York apartment. If I tried to hang off of a door, it would tear off its hinges (my cat could tear one of these doors off its hinges, actually). And "outside" is currently well below freezing, and covered with snow. Otherwise I'd just walk to Prospect Park and hang off the monkey bars. No, I'm wondering if there's a whole different exercise I can do that'll be an OK sub for now. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
michael Galietta

Profile:

Others can check me on this but doesn't an "Iron Gym" work in a doorway but it presses against the wall not the door? I think you can get them for 30.00 at Rite Aid or Bed Bath and Beyond? A regular chin up bar screws into the sides of the door jamb and would be secure and also work.

Bottom line...respectfully...get a bar it is worth it and not that complicated.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Leela Corman

Profile:

Yeah, I'm not saying I'm not getting a bar, but I was asking if there was something I could sub in this afternoon. There are some perfectly fine portable bar options out there, they just don't sell 'em at the corner bodega, y'know?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Dan Donche

Profile:

Well, maybe I can kick out a few more ideas to at least get you going with the pulling portion of the movement, since you might not be able to get the full pullup.

Body Row: grip onto the edge of a table or maybe even two chairs and hang underneath it with your legs straight out in front of you. Just row yourself up as high as you can. You can also get some dips in with the two chairs if you like.

Rope walks: maybe you can also secure a rope or a long towel/sheet to something high and sturdy, then put your feet up against the wall/large object and start lying down. Then just walk your hands up the rope-like object until standing and then walk back down.

Okay that's all I can think of right now actually. If I get any more ideas I'll post them for sure.