CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #221
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Yes, the sets of 5 and 3 are just to get into your groove. Week 6 is all about your new 1RM so pick ramp up weights accordingly.

Cheers, kempie
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #222
Eric Simpson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
Eric, my opinion is that you need to figure out what your priorities are and select a program accordingly. My understanding of the firefighter combat challenges are that they are short explosive events for which CF would be a perfect fit. Your roadbiking would probably be taken care of with the CFE program (I'm not really up to speed with the particulars of the CFE program).

Apart from the general desireability of strength is there any real reason you need to inrease your training load by adding further strength? Maybe it could work with trial and error but if you are competing in your sports soon do you have the time to spare?

I don't think CFSB + CFE in their prescribed forms would be the way to go. If you wanted to try and get some strength whilst maintaining your endurance maybe consider subbing some short heavy metcons for the main page workouts. If after a month or so that volume was tolerable then consider adding one high rep lift every few weeks as your recovery permits.

That's my suggestion if you are determined to try and achieve such widely divergent goals. My recommendation would be to consider what your priorities are and program accordingly. Depending on the competitive seasons of your sports a simple periodised approach may allow you the best of both worlds.

Cheers, kempie
Thanks for the post Kempie! Im doing pretty much what youve described now and Im into my third week. Recovery has been good and Im working up my 5/3 Rep Max's accordingly. The CFE stuff has fit in well. For instance, I did a 12 min TimeTrial last night (An hour total on the bike) and squatted today at about 85% of my 5RM today with relative ease. The big thing I noticed yesterday is how "strong" Im feeling on the bike despite having limited seat time.

The big thing Im going to pay attention to is my nutrition during all of this. The Zone is pretty much out the window but I plan on eating healthy around 3500cals a day and potentially increasing if my recovery takes a dive. Im starting my journal today and Ill post here if I end up being a "Crash Test Dummy" lol. Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #223
James Moran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
B: do it another day. The high rep sets are designed for a particular stimulus, and the 21-15-9 (or 15-12-9, etc) have a 1:00 rest between sets.

--bingo
Maybe it was mentioned, but didn't turn up in my search, but are we using the 1 minute rest between sets on the 3x5, 5x3 and 3x3 days as well? or would you be better off resting a little longer, like 2-3 minutes, because of the heavier load? I'm sure it depends on the individual and how fast you recover, but what would be recommended?

Thanks,

James.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #224
William Curtis

Profile:

So...I woke up deciding to stop doing the CFSB because I miss the competition and comparing WOD times with others. So I decided to do a CrossFit total and not belabor the PR attempts through the whole week....

Squat 346 (PR by 30#)
Press 160 (PR by 10#)
Deadlift 426 (PR by 20#)

TOTAL: 932#!!!!!!!

I couldn't believe it. Now I can't justify stopping the CFSB. Not with these kinds of results. If anyone is interested in doing the same WODS while on the SB for a little friendly competition let me know. I figure I'll stop when I get to the 1000# CFT club.

Thanks Jeff, Bingo and Kempie. I truly appreciate your dedication and taking the time to help others out completely free of charge.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #225
Darrell E. White

Profile:

James:

It's one minute between sets on the high-rep scheme. Take as much time between max effort sets (3 x 5, 5 x 3) as you need. Folks typically go 3-5 minutes between their 3 and 5-rep sets.

William:

Cheers, Dude. Congrats! Nice looking family BTW. Congrats there, too!

--bingo
Old 03-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #226
William Curtis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
James:

William:

Cheers, Dude. Congrats! Nice looking family BTW. Congrats there, too!

--bingo
Thanks, they are the only thing getting me through my residency right now.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #227
Marcus Allen

Profile:

OK CFSB brothers and sisters.... I have bonked.

After 2 weeks of plateaued and in some cases regressing weights I understand I need time off. So I'm done for the week and will do next week at 1/2 intensity, then reset CFSB protocols.

In April I go back to 12 hour night shifts, 8p-8a. The 2 week rotation is Sa,Su,Mo,Tu,Su,Mo,Tu.

I have set a rather lofty goal of CFT of 1000+, and Sub 8 Fran by July 12. Currently 755 and Sub 12.

I could really use whatever suggestions, or *** kicking you all can offer to get there. Thanks in advance for your time.

have a great day!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:08 PM   #228
William Curtis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post

I could really use whatever suggestions, or *** kicking you all can offer to get there. Thanks in advance for your time.

have a great day!
I'm not sure how much you are sleeping but that has been key for me. I used to live on 5-6 hours of sleep a night and in retrospect I found that I was overtraining big time. Now I force myself to sleep and eat better and it has made a huge difference.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #229
Brian Solar

Profile:

For the back squats, what position of the bar is preferred? High-bar or Low-bar? It seems that low-bar wouldn't interfere as much with the front squats as would high-bar.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #230
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Yeah, sleep is huge. I need 8 hours. It's the single biggest thing that changes when you turn 40.

CFSB continues to work great for me. My lower back was getting really tight, so I took a break for a few days. Did Saturday's DL/run WOD from CFHQ today and I did great, 13:49, top score in the gym. DL with 225 felt like a nerf bar, no problem going unbroken on 21-15-9, not even a regrip pause, just bang-bang-bang.

If only I didn't have the back squat of a little girl.