CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Chris Valine

Profile:
Plans for outdoor pull up/ring station....opinions needed

So I am planning on builiding an outdoor pull up and ring station and I wanted to run my ideas by the crossfit community to see what everyone thought.

my plan is to make a square with 4 - 10ft 4x4 posts with a bar on each of the 4 sides. 2 bars close to the top for hanging rings and 2 bars at 7-8ft for pull ups.

my main question is that because I rent my house I cannot cement these in the ground. I found these post anchors at home depot and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or if you think they would hold up to kipping pull ups and muscle ups. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+501544 (w/f/s)

any other suggestion that anyone has would be appreciated as well. Or if someone has done something similar it would great to see your photos/plans.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Henry Miller

Profile:
Re: Plans for outdoor pull up/ring station....opinions needed

No experience, but I don't think I'd trust them for kipping if you have straight posts. Buy 14 foot 4x4s, and run them all at an angle. The idea is even at the maximum swing of your kip you are still inside of where there legs meet the ground. Building this will be hard, but you can do it. If you don't do this I'd worry that those posts can pull out of the ground and the whole structure lands on top of you.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

I would get a hold of some railroad ties and make a square and use post brackets to attach your 4x4's. That sucker wouldn't budge.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Jason M Struck

Profile:

we've got 250+lbs of concrete 30"+ down in the ground, and the bars/beams still sway a little:

http://www.crossfitfullcircle.com/wp...10/pullup1.jpg

my baby: WFS
Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

A typical wood railroad tie weighs about 200 lbs and is 8-1/2 feet long, 9 inches wide, and 7 inches thick, and made from a variety of hardwoods (such as white pine and cedar). An 800 lb base would be pretty stable.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Chris Valine

Profile:

Thanks Claude! I hadn't thought of using railroad ties. That is a very good idea.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Michael Leach

Profile:

for what its worth, i tried something like this a couple years ago and ended up ditching the idea. it was basically some 4x4s in a big dipper formation (4 posts making a box, with another post off to one side making a leg). 3 of the posts were around 8' or so high and 2 of the posts were 12' or so high (with 3-4' or so of all the posts in concrete). i then put pullup bars at varying heights on the smaller posts and was going to put a pullup bar/rope climb on the 2 high posts. that's around the time i ditched the whole project. it's too bloody hot and humid along with way too many bugs down here that i never used it. not to mention our 3 dogs and their 'donations' to the lawn. i also got tired of the neighbors staring at me and saying "oh, do that again!" when I was trying different things. of course, i also have the luxury of a set of rings and air conditioning in the house, so my 'outdoor gym' didn't see much use.

i don't have any specific pictures of it, but you can see the 4x4s in the background of these pictures:
[i had just built the rear patio and was taking pictures of it]

http://halfawake.com/w00t/060806/CIMG4748.JPG

http://halfawake.com/w00t/060806/CIMG4750.JPG

http://halfawake.com/w00t/060806/CIMG4742.JPG

apparently those pictures were taken before I put the pullup bars in the posts. I ended up drilling through the wood 4x4 posts and putting pullup bars through the entire post and then putting a cap on the outside, not that the bars would come out easily. the 4x4s are kinda too small to use floor flanges, not to mention you'd have to get the distance between the posts EXACT, or find some place that still cuts/threads pipe (HD and Lowes by me wont do it anymore).

However, now that the wife is pregnant with a little boy, I have a feeling I'll end up building a new and improved kid/adult friendly outdoor gym in the near future. This time I'll get bigger/better posts, and build a small retaining wall to level out the yard and put mulch or something down so I'm not weed eating that whole area, etc, etc...
Old 01-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Matthew Willard

Profile:

I built myself one a couple months ago. 3 4X4's. One with a bar 8' high and another 10' high for rings. i meant to bury them 4 feet down because i read somewhere I wouldn't need concrete if I went at least 4'. I ended up going only 3' cause the ground got ridiculously hard at that deepth and my post hole digger became ineffective. I got real bad swing from it so I plan on improving on it when the weather improves. I am thinking on digging up out around the posts and filling in with concrete and then extending a concrete base/platform around the posts to provide stability and a level place to land.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
George Mounce

Profile:

I have one that is two 10' 4x4s with a metal bar. Put the bottom 2' in the ground surrounded on all sides by 6" of quick-crete. That sucker hasn't moved yet after surviving flood water, heat, frozen ground, you name it.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
William Henniger

Profile:

This one is pretty sweet: http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...ing-pods.shtml wfs

I used 6X6's in my backyard, that was the start of my affiliate.