CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:
Marianne's log

Ok, so I am going way outside my comfort zone... I am a 48 year old female who has been doing cross fit very sporadically for a few months. I go to an affiliate where I am learning a lot. I am by far the weakest one there, though and it is my goal for 2009 to get Stronger and leaner!! I want pull ups so I won't need the band any more! I also want to increase all of my weights for the core strength workouts (my chest press is a weak 85lb for 5 and I can barely squat 110 for 5 now!). For the record, I am 5'1" (with small heals) and approx 117 lb, vegetarian, and my other big goal for 2009 is that I would like to get more toned and get rid of the few extra pounds around my midsection. So.. I am going to post my workouts on this site to push me outside my comfort zone and to be accountable to all you serious cross fitters out there!! If anyone has any suggestions for improvement or anything, don't hesitate to let me know. I am especially interested in a good way to keep track of PR! thanks !

In general, I am going to primarily do the workout of the day posted at my affiliate's site (www.thepowerbarn.com), but today they had a rest day. I went into manhattan and didn't work out yesterday, so I did Michael at home today.

I did it in 25:15 with

800M run--slight incline on treadmill (my treadmill doesn't measure incline)
100 superman (substitute for back extension 2 to 1)
50 situps(feet under bar)

3 times for time.

so, there you have it.. my first official "post" to any blog or website!!
Marianne
Old 12-29-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:
Re: Marianne's log

Ok, today's workout was "cindy".
20 minutes, as many rounds as possible.
pullups(5)
pushups(10)
body weight squats(15)

I did: 18 2/3 rounds
jumping pullups
pushups: by round 15 I did 1/2 from knees, then the last round did all from knees
body weight squats

This is the first time for me doing this workout at the affiliate. Things to work on for next time:The pushups were definitely the thing that held me up. --ideas for next time would be: possibly dropping to knees sooner to keep the reps up or just suck up the rep number and rest more and stay on my feet? --any suggestions?

I also ordered the Zone book and the soy zone since I don't eat meat. 2009 I am going to really work on increasing my strength, decreasing body fat and ... well.. getting that kipping pull up!
Old 12-30-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

Today I worked out from home again. My afflliate's posted a deadlift workout, and since I don't really have PR yet, I didn't have a benchmark to start with. I also don't have 2 1/2 lb plates, so I couldn't go up by 5lb

the workout was 5-5-3-3-3
I did: 95-105-115-125-125! (so I guess my PR for this is now 125!)
I need to get some 2 1/2 lb plates!

I also did some of the main page shoulder work. Again, I was limited because of the increment I had to go up (10lb at a clip).

It was
Shoulder press: 1-1-1-1-1
Push press 3-3-3-3-3
Push Jerk 5-5-5-5-5

I didn't know really how to do this so I tried my best
SP: 55-55-65-65-65
Push Press: 65-65-65-65-65
Push Jerk: 65-65-75 (bad attempt)-65-65

I also practiced knees to elbows during rest times. I suck at them and can only do a couple at a time.. this makes for a very long filthy fifty!!

see ya tomorrow!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

So today my gym did the "Pain killer" or whatever you call it! It really was painful.. I don't know about the "killer" part.
here is what we were supposed to do!

800 M Run
50 Bodyweight Squats
10 Pull ups
40 Walking Lunges (20 each leg)
10 Pull ups
30 Box Jumps (20″/16″)
10 Pull ups
20 Thrusters (65#/45#)
10 Pullups
400 M Run
10 Pullups
20 Thrusters
10 Pull ups
30 Box Jumps
10 Pull ups
40 Walking Lunges
10 Pull ups
50 Bodyweight Squats
800 M Run

but by accident I went .75 for the first run, so I decreased my final run to .25, which actually worked out to my advantage!
I also got the book "Mastering the Zone" yesterday and i am planning to really start to buckle down and get serious about my nutrition. I am going away this weekend, so I don't know how easy it will be to start the program, but I am definitely going to eliminate refined sugar and decrease carbs (pastas, breads, etc) right away. Let' see how long I can do this! The killer will be the wine..I do like a couple glasses at night, so I will have to figure out how to work that all in!
Happy New Year!!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Hey Marianne, welcome

The pain killer does sound very, ahem, painful! Your micheal time is great, considering you subbed 2 for one supermans.

Hope you do well on the Zone diet! It is a good diet to help you exercise portion control and encourage you to make good food choices. (broccoli is better than bread for example)
Old 12-31-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne Urbanski View Post

800 M Run
50 Bodyweight Squats
10 Pull ups
40 Walking Lunges (20 each leg)
10 Pull ups
30 Box Jumps (20″/16″)
10 Pull ups
20 Thrusters (65#/45#)
10 Pullups
400 M Run
10 Pullups
20 Thrusters
10 Pull ups
30 Box Jumps
10 Pull ups
40 Walking Lunges
10 Pull ups
50 Bodyweight Squats
800 M Run

but by accident I went .75 for the first run, so I decreased my final run to .25, which actually worked out to my advantage!

Happy New Year!!
oops.. I forgot to post my time for this!!
30:04....
Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

Well, yesterday was my "rest day". And I travelled to florida for a monavie meeting. Today I don't start the meeting till tonight so I used the time to do "Murph"!! My gym was working on stuff I couldn't do here (they don't even have a straight bar!) So I figured I might as well follow the main page and do "murph" to start my year off right. I have only done this once before and I used jumping pullups, but my time was SO much better. (I know it was in the 40's.). Today I did it with the pull up assist machine at 44LB for 5 rounds then went to 52.5 for the last 5 because I really wanted to focus on good form-which I think was pretty good for everything. My pushups were all chest to deck with lots of breaks to keep form good.
So... The "baseline" time was a terribly embarassing 63:45!! Oh well, I had to walk a lot of the final run. (I didn't know where the bathroom was in case I had to throw up!!).
So.. I think Murph is gonna be a good "benchmark for me as I go through this year!! I'm wondering what other people got on their first murph?? Well... The good news is that I got through it without throwing up and I have to say I think some of the guys at this "ritz carlton" gym here in florida were surprised to see how hard I was working!!
"Let's go girl power!!).
See ya tomorrow!!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Hi Marianne!

You're off to such a great start! Keep it up!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

Thanks Nancy:I am really new to this and I did do murph as one of the first workouts I ever did and I did it with jumping pullups and I KNOW that my pushup form was bad. Today I took more breaks and really focused on form, but my time is an embarassment! I really want to get pullups this year, so I am going to use this workout as kind of my "benchmark". It really is tough. I am proud that I could finish it though! Cross fit is tough, but I am getting so addicted I am driving my boyfriend crazy with my change in diet (following the zone), going to bed early to be refreshed for the workout in the morning!! It feels like it is going to be a great year.
This year I turn 49! I am 5' and weigh 117. I want to get lean and mean this year so I can do the filthy fifty in record time when i hit that age!! No fosamax for me.. it's all about staying strong and healthy!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

Today I am still in florida at the "Spa gym", so I emailed my coach and asked him what to do cuz the equipment is really limited. this is what he told me:
4 rounds for time:
20 DB Snatch (10 each arm)
20 DB Thrusters
20 DB walking lunge (10 each leg)
20 DB weighted situps

the Snatches were the hardest at first cuz I am still recovering from a shoulder injury as a result of going all the way to day 99 from the burpie challenge, but honestly once I got into the groove with the snatches the thrusters were worse. I did have to do sets of 10 and a couple of times I couldn't even do 10, but with breaks and everything... I did this in.. 36:20. sigh.. I thought it would be shorter, but it was a lot harder than it looks. Tomorrow I travel home, so i am not sure if I will have time to get the workout in.. Let's see how it goes! Travel days are tough!