CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
John McBrien

Profile:
I've noticed that many CF enthusiasts supplement the WOD with "skill work," whether it be olympic lifting, L-sits, powerlifting, sport specific work etc.

How do you plan this around the WOD or do you use the WOD to simply complement your own specific goals?
Old 04-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Skills usually get done in the warmup or the cooldown. If you are getting ready for a WOD that includes 100 pullups, then you'd want to avoid doing skills like skin the cats or knees to elbows and save your grip strength for the WOD. However, L-sits might be a good choice or handstands.

You might also just plan to do certain skills everyday regardless, e.g. double unders, burgener warmup.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
Travis Hall

Profile:

i do skill work during my lunch break.
depending on how busy i am in the evening i'll continue doing more skill work- i find it hard to just sit and watch tv...

my true workouts are always done just after work, around 3:30- 4:00.

if i'm gtg something, then its breakfast, lunch, a little before the workout and late evening.
honestly on a day where i might be around the house all day cleaning, doing laundry, reading,etc. i'll do the exercise/skill every half hour.

t.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
Leah Turner

Profile:
Is there a basic list of "skill work" that exists consisting mainly of things that can be practiced w/out equipment that every CFer should work towards?

Ex: handstands, pushups, pullups, L-sits...

I'd like to aquire a list to know what to work on and vary the skill work.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #5
Travis Hall

Profile:

an idea would be to start by finding the crossfit north skill levels and select all the things listed that don't need equipment.

personnally though i wouldn't inculde pushups and pullups as skills. they are just exercises. l-sits, yes. handstands (and unsupported handstand pushups), levers, and countless other things that require more then just 'strenght' to perform are skills.

cheers,
t.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
Leah Turner

Profile:
thanks for the crossfit north resource! it's what I was looking for and a great start!
Old 04-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
John McBrien

Profile:
I took a look at the CF North website and couldn't find what you were talking about. Where exactly should I be searching for different types of "skills"?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:17 AM   #8
Leah Turner

Profile:
On the bottom left column under NEW THIS MONTH it says click for all levels. Click there then scroll down to where it says view spreadsheet for all 4 skill levels. There you are.