CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
Lauren Hall

Profile:
Lauren's Starter Log

I'm new to Crossfit, though I've done many of the moves at kickboxing classes I take at a martial arts center. My main goal is simply overall fitness. Crossfit seemed like good fit since the workouts are short but intense. I get bored easily.

Today I decided to try one of the WOD from earlier this week (not good on the names, but the 800 m, 50 situp, 50 back). I ended up tweaking it since the 800m killed me a little more than expected.

Here's my WOD:
CFWU (except for Samson stretch b/c I couldn't figure out what that was... anyone want to help me out?)

800 m - 5 min, 15 sec. - not a great time, but I'm not a runner. At all. I was pretty winded at the end of this, but didn't have to walk or anything.
50 sit-ups
50 back extensions (didn't bother timing, but didn't have to stop)
Switched over to the WOD from yesterday (I think).
Shoulder press - 40 lbs (I'm using two 20lb dumbells for these since I don't have a bar)
Push Press - 30 lbs
Push jerk - 30 lbs.
End with 100 sit ups.

I'm using low weights to get my form right and also because I have rotator cuff issues from my bag classes, so I'm trying to build strength instead of ripping out a shoulder.

So, not too impressive. I'm already feeling better though, after doing a couple modified WODs earlier this week. Abs hurt like hell from an earlier workout, and the sets of squats from earlier this week have my legs burning. It's a good burn though. I'm looking forward to future WODs and gradually increasing my time and endurance on the runs.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Lauren's Starter Log

samson stretch

http://ruddystranger.typepad.com/pho..._park_055.html

alternate each leg, hold for a count of 10ish
Old 11-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Lauren Hall

Profile:

Thanks, Nik. That'll help.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Hall View Post
Thanks, Nik. That'll help.
No prob, post your personal stats, like weight, height, age so we know you a little better and know where you are at in fitness. Post your goals ect. You will get a lot of suport.

What is a bag class?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
What is a bag class?
Its were they practice self defence using their handbags and purses. You ever seen an old granny in a film clubbing someone with theri bag. Its an art form, and very deadly lol.

Great to have you here Laura, Im sure you'll thrive, and be a success. Enjoy the Kool-aid.

Ricky
Old 11-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
Lauren Hall

Profile:

That's pretty close, Richard.

Our bag classes are kickboxing classes done with freestanding weighted punching bags. They are pretty hard core and we just started tabata. In between punching and kicking sequences we do plyometrics, pushups, etc.

So, I was in pretty good shape before this, but I've been slacking because the classes don't fit with my schedule anymore. Crossfit is nice because I have most of the equipment at home.

By the way, here are the stats and some goals:
5'3, 145lbs. Mile run: 10 minutes, full pushups: 10, pull ups: 0.
I can do squats and lunges all day, but the upper body needs serious work. My cardio endurance needs work as well. I'd like to get a better mile score.

My goals are general fitness, get down to 130 lbs, and below 20% body fat.

At any rate, I'll keep this updated and would love to hear back from people, especially newbies who might want to complain about how much their abs hurt.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Hall View Post
That's pretty close, Richard.

Our bag classes are kickboxing classes done with freestanding weighted punching bags. They are pretty hard core and we just started tabata. In between punching and kicking sequences we do plyometrics, pushups, etc.

So, I was in pretty good shape before this, but I've been slacking because the classes don't fit with my schedule anymore. Crossfit is nice because I have most of the equipment at home.

By the way, here are the stats and some goals:
5'3, 145lbs. Mile run: 10 minutes, full pushups: 10, pull ups: 0.
I can do squats and lunges all day, but the upper body needs serious work. My cardio endurance needs work as well. I'd like to get a better mile score.

My goals are general fitness, get down to 130 lbs, and below 20% body fat.

At any rate, I'll keep this updated and would love to hear back from people, especially newbies who might want to complain about how much their abs hurt.
Your not alone there. I thought my upper body numbers were ok, and then i realised im mega lower body dominant.
haha i thought that might have been what u meant by bag class lol.
Man your hubby must be on his best behaviour alot with an *** kicker like you about lol?!

Im sure you'l reach your goals alot quicker than you thought you would.Keep at it. The girls and guys here are mega supportive. You'll love it.

Give it 4 weeks tops, and your pullup number will have doubled at least!!

Ricky
Old 11-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Lauren Hall

Profile:
Lauren's Starter Log - Day 2

I had to take a couple days off because of back issues (probably due to improper form on lifts. Whoops).

I modified (a lot) the WOD today, partially because I didn't have the equipment (haven't seen my pull-up bar since I moved, so I'll have to get another) and partially because tomorrow is my first meeting with a Crossfit affiliate (YAY!), and I didn't want to be completely dead.

Here's today's workout:
CFWU
5 sets of:
10 walk-outs with push-ups at the bottom (like a burpee but low impact)
50 sit-ups

Time (not including warm-up): 23 minutes.

I've also switched up my nutrition, getting rid of processed foods (my beloved frozen organic burritos are going to have to go) and generally avoiding carbs except in fruit/veggie form. Lots of protein, etc.

I'll update once I get back from my first affiliate meeting tomorrow. Rather exciting.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Bethany Wadsworth

Profile:
Re: Lauren's Starter Log - Day 2

Hi Lauren
I came from a martial arts background when I started crossfit (black belt, taught 4-5 Kickboxing classes, MMA sparring 1-2x/week) and was in pretty good shape, but CrossFit has made me A LOT stronger, faster, better! You will catch on quick with crossfit quick if you've been kickboxing...it's a fantastic workout. I still do it 4x/week.
Have fun with Joe tomorrow! Tell him I said hi!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
Lauren Hall

Profile:

I just finished my first affiliate workout. (Joe says hi, Bethany).
The results? I am a weakling, even with a kickboxing background.

So, here's what I have. I can't remember the time (23 or 27 minutes... obviously, there's a difference, but I couldn't feel my arms when he told me the time, so I wasn't really paying close attention)....

3 rounds of:
15 squats (with good form, which is a first. I have never gone low enough, which I didn't realize, and my back needs work)
125 jump rope (I am a pitifully slow jump roper, so I need to increase the endurance and get some rhythm)
15 shoulder press, 35 lbs. (not bad for me, but pretty hard toward the end. I was taking lots of breaks)

I finished, which I'm pretty proud of. The first round of squats had me doubting whether I could. My arms are going to hurt tomorrow, though I don't feel anything in my legs yet, which makes me nervous. It'll probably hit like a ton of bricks on Thursday, which is when I go back.

My food has been good this week too, and I'm loading up on protein to try to support the craziness. My goal, eventually, is to do one pull-up. That's it. That's all I want out of life. One measly pull-up.