CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
Chris Scott

Profile:
Chris Scott Lifts Heavy Things

Hi everyone!

Christin Street was kind enough to get after me about posting a log, and I've been meaning to for a while, so here I am. A bit about me:
I found Crossfit in April. Started doing some modified WODs while in NYC, and soon after returning to Austin realized I wanted to do Starting Strength to raise my crappy CFT and get to Rx'd WODs more quickly. I also wanted to gain a little weight; I had dropped down to 164 while in New York. I'm 6'1", so that's way too skinny, even for me. When I started on August 27th, I weighed 172 pounds. My starting numbers for work sets:

squat 135
bench 145
deadlift 195
press 90
power clean 42.5 kilos

My current numbers:

squat 185 (reset to work on form at one point)
bench 175
deadlift 275
press 110
power clean 60 kilos

Plus I now weigh 200 pounds, which is pretty cool for someone who's been a skinny kid all his life. GOMAD is awesome.

I'm still making good gains: 10 lbs per workout on squats and deadlifts, 5 lbs on everything else. I think press will go to 2.5 lbs any day now, and bench soon after that.

Things have been progressing very quickly, and it's time to reset my goals for the second time. Right now my work set numbers would get me a CFT of 570. I'd like to get that to 800 by my birthday (12/22)--31 workouts from now. That would be work sets breaking down to probably 375 deadlift, 285 squat, and 140 press. Since I've now twice had to revise my goals for my birthday upward, I want these to be more difficult, and I think this strikes about the right balance between on the one hand giving me a shot at achieving the goal and on the other hand being damn hard.

Other things about me: I tend bar and help manage things a bit at a place called The Red House in Austin. I'm 30, finished my degree in computer science in May of '07, and hopefully sometime soon I'll start the process of getting into the alternative energy field--I think it's one of the few fields that has a chance of weathering the coming depression. I'd like to have started a career within a year from now, and the immediate plan is to volunteer with an alternative energy nonprofit to network and gain experience. Doing some lobbying would be especially cool; energy independence is a great both-sides-of-the-aisle issue.

Today's workout:
Warmup
-SDLHP 45 lbs x 10 x 3 --my gym doesn't have a rower, and I don't like stationary bikes
-dowel OHS x 10 x 2 --I find this stretches my hamstrings (which are crazy tight) and helps me start focusing on form

Squat
45 x 5
45 x 5
95 x 5
135 x 3
165 x 2
185 x 5 x 3 --This felt ugly. We'll check the vid.

Bench
45 x 5
45 x 5
95 x 5
135 x 3
155 x 2
175 x 5 x 3 --My tendons on the inside of my elbows started hurting during the first work set. I found this odd, since I can do dead hang pullups with no issues. Maybe bad form indicated? The pain went away within 1 hour after the workout.

Deadlift
135 x 5
135 x 5
205 x 3
245 x 2
275 x 5

These are all PR's, as this is the first real lifting I've ever done. Come to think of it, this is the first fitness regimen of any kind I've followed for more than five weeks. That's kind of cool.

You stay classy, San Diego.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:59 AM   #2
Christin Street

Profile:
Re: Chris Scott Lifts Heavy Things

Great job on (finally) starting the log, Chris!Nice title too. Now I know where to find you to both follow your progress and harrass you on being a Texas fan (ya'll are completely comin' down this weekend).
Crossfit is working wonders for you. So you've put on about 5 lbs a week? Amazing. Congrats on all the PRs in last night's work too. You're a poster man/child for CF. I look forward to following you here.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

Hey Chris!! It's awesome that you've started a log and congrats on the PRs and the improvements!
Old 10-07-2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Charles Bennington

Profile:

You have a log now, that's super-duper. It'll surprise you how much it drives your training. It'll also steal hours from your day- better than TV though, I suppose.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
Delita Wright

Profile:

Ah so, Scotty! Way to log! Liking those numbers, too. What good progress you've made. Come on, admit it. Yer hooked, aren'tcha??
Old 10-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #6
Chris Scott

Profile:

Christin: yeah, I think I've been malnourished all my life. I actually put on six pounds in the first three days. It was awesome. And thanks again for pushing me to start this log.

And the only person going down this week will be Sam Bradford. Repeatedly. Underneath Brian Orakpo. BTW, I love that the first hit under a Google search for "ou quarterback" (your QB needs a better name, like, say, "Colt McCoy") is still the story about Bomar getting dismissed for his little auto-dealership sinecure. Interestingly, the article also discusses a very... questionable... leasing practice on the part of one Adrian Peterson. Speaking of Peterson, you heard it here first: he will never win a championship. This is what happens when the baddest running back in Texas high school football abandons the Longhorns (despite his idol playing for them) to play for the Sooners. The Texas Football Gods are displeased with such behavior, and their wrath is mighty indeed.

Anu: thanks! And congrats to you too! Been following your progress. Good lock with the triple digit squat. You'll have it before you know it. Your plan to raise your calories a little will probably help a lot.

Charles: yeah, I've kept from buying a TV since I returned to Austin, but it looks like I'll cave this week. Don't want to have to watch the OU game at a bar--I've got work afterwards, and I'd be excited enough, win or lose, that there'd be a real danger of getting ****faced. Adrenaline + Guinness = hammered before noon.

Delita: given my rather spastic level of commitment to fitness over the years, this certainly seems like hooked. I hope so!

Last edited by Chris Scott : 10-07-2008 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Good to see you logging, Chris. Sounds like SS has been good to you so far. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:09 AM   #8
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

Hi Chris!
Glad you started a log. I know this one will be FULL of awesome information and quality training. Can't wait to follow along.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Christin Street

Profile:

Dude- Sam Bradford is the real deal. He's 1/8th Cherokee so don't mess with him. Where's Colt from? Like New Mexico? I heard his daddy placed a box of TX soil under his bed when he was born so he's be born. Bwahahahaha!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #10
Chris Scott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin Street View Post
Dude- Sam Bradford is the real deal. He's 1/8th Cherokee so don't mess with him. Where's Colt from? Like New Mexico? I heard his daddy placed a box of TX soil under his bed when he was born so he's be born. Bwahahahaha!
Unless he's Chuck Norris style and ate a Jeep, I'm not afraid. Remember who always won when you played "Cowboys and Indians."

And seriously--"when he was born so he's be born." Really? Are you sure? Is that what counts for smack in Oklahoma? Hell, is that what counts for English in Oklahoma?

Patrick, Vanessa--thanks for stopping by, and I appreciate the kind words. Sorry you had to see this. I really don't know what to say....