CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Justin Ellsworth

Profile:
Anyone Live In Houston?

Been thinking about making a change in life, and from what I hear, there is a big push down there right now for police officers, but my knowledge about Houston is solely limited to what I've been able to read on the 'net.

Anyone on here live in/know much about the area?

Looks like there are some nice towns to the south that people recommend (Missouri City, Sugar Land), but then again, I don't know what the daily commute would be like to get back into town...

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by Justin Ellsworth; 09-22-2008 at 07:28 PM..
Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Tal Young

Profile:
Re: Anyone Live In Houston?

I've been living in the Houston area for a little over a year and the towns down south of Houston are nice. Sugarland, Pearland, Friendswood, Clear Lake...all those places are good to go. I live down in Clear Lake and work near downtown and the commute ain't that bad aside from the occasional moron on the freeway (20-45 min depending on traffic). The best thing about Houston is that no matter where you live you are close to a CrossFit affiliate. I'm at CrossFit Houston and there are quite a few cops that work out there. CrossFit Sugarland is good to go too...Grace (the owner) will probably chime in on this thread here shortly.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Travis Rieber

Profile:
Re: Anyone Live In Houston?

I live out in Katy, a suburb on the west side of Houston. It's a nice area to live but the commute to downtown Houston can be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour in the morning and worse going home, although that should change very soon as I-10, our major highway, is just completing some serious renovations.
The Houston area has tons to do, you will never be lacking for entertainment. We've even got five Crossfit locations. And thousands of restaraunts.
My only complaint is that this is definitely a big city. I miss the access to non-developed areas that I had when I lived up north. This isn't like Boston or Denver where you can drive 10 minutes to a nice wilderness area.
I'm not as familiar with south Houston, but I know the southern areas that Tal mentioned are popular and growing quickly.