CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #21
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Re: Kelly Moore's "New lease on life" log

It's a day off, but it was too beautiful outside to not play a little. I still plan to run that 5k on Saturday, so I'm making this my last running day before the race. It probably won't make any difference, but I would like the blisters on my toes to heal a bit!

4 x 400 meter runs @ .60 tempo: 1:31, 1:26, 1:32, 1:29. 2 minute break between rounds.

6 min run @ .60 tempo = .81 mile. Reasonable pace, hard but not too difficult. Not an all out attempt. I was curious to see if I could hold that tempo for six minutes. Very pleased that I could do so and I wasn't tapped out or unduly stressed. Toes sore.

A stand alone 6 minute mile isn't too far in the future.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #22
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Theresa,

I'm sorry to say I won't be there. I am scheduled to be in St Louis for the KB cert those days.

Come to a Midwest cert - I'm much more likely to be somewhere I can drive!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:02 AM   #23
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Results from the 09/13/08 TSC challenge (wfs):

http://tacticalstrengthchallenge.com...rnational.html
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #24
Kelly Moore

Profile:

"Grace":

105# - several squat clean and jerks to start, power cleans and jerks when I became too fatigued to squat clean. 10:05. I was very careful with this WOD as my left shoulder is not liking ballistic overhead stuff - every rep was deliberate with no rushing to start the next rep. I treated this as more a strength and skill workout then metcon.

Did these outside on the stony area next to the porch so I could drop the weight without smushing a cat. (Phoenix and Puff yowled and carried on the entire time - very distracting. They would rather be completely underfoot at all times then have me be 10' from them. Whoever said cats are independent never met my Siameses). I now have two 2" deep ruts where the plates landed each rep....no wonder it felt like I was pulling through more ROM!

I was stupid and tried to catch the weight on the rebound. With the crazy bounce pattern from the stones the weight bounced right into my left thumb tearing it open and jammed it. Thumb is bloody, swollen and hurts a great deal, but everything moves as it should so nothing is broken.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #25
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
"Grace":

105# - several squat clean and jerks to start, power cleans and jerks when I became too fatigued to squat clean. 10:05. I was very careful with this WOD as my left shoulder is not liking ballistic overhead stuff - every rep was deliberate with no rushing to start the next rep. I treated this as more a strength and skill workout then metcon.

Did these outside on the stony area next to the porch so I could drop the weight without smushing a cat. (Phoenix and Puff yowled and carried on the entire time - very distracting. They would rather be completely underfoot at all times then have me be 10' from them. Whoever said cats are independent never met my Siameses). I now have two 2" deep ruts where the plates landed each rep....no wonder it felt like I was pulling through more ROM!

I was stupid and tried to catch the weight on the rebound. With the crazy bounce pattern from the stones the weight bounced right into my left thumb tearing it open and jammed it. Thumb is bloody, swollen and hurts a great deal, but everything moves as it should so nothing is broken.
Ouch! Hope the thumb heals quickly!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #26
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Thanks George.

I feel really dumb with big thumb....

At least kayaking this afternoon shouldn't bother it!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #27
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Coincidentally I looked for your blog today after a long hiatus of following it!! Nice work again, solid, steady and focused!! And kudos on you for taking that plunge.

Hope the thumb heals fast and the 5K race is timely and efficient:-)
great to have goals
Old 09-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #28
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Great to see you posting again and glad to hear about the positive life changes. Can't imagine what not wasting your energy on daily dread will do for your performance. Looking forward to following your log.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #29
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hey Patrick - thanks! The combination of having a job I love, being able to set my own work schedule, and spending time with Mom, doing my artwork and playing outside (motorcycling, hiking, kayaking, biking, searching for wildflowers and birding, etc....) will have a positive influence on my entire life. It feels like I've been reborn at 45.

Hi Sarena - it's been a while! Good to hear from you again. I'm curious to see what it's like to run in a competition (I can't count the ice covered terrain run I did in IL several years ago as the conditions were so bad!) and I wonder if I'm conditioned enough yet to hold POSE frame for an entire 5k. I've never broken the 23 minute mark when running a 5k, and I haven't run more than 6 minute distances while POSE training. This should be an interesting test.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #30
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Beautiful outside today, but I'm running my first 5k race in Fort Atkinson tomorrow. Changed the WOD to a shoulder friendly strength workout:

10 rounds for time:

3 full ROM HSPUs - hands on 12" high stools, head touching floor each rep

10 deadhang, no kip, chest or collarbones touching bar pullups

15:47 - No breaks on the HSPUs. I know that sets of 5 are too much for me right now, and now I know that sets of 3 are too easy. Sets of 4 should be just right for the next time.

Pullups with zero momentum and a high pull are interesting....I was breaking the sets after the second round and my pulls went from middle of chest to collarbones. When I could barely pull my collarbones to the bar I dropped off for a quick break. Throat touches didn't count. Many quick breaks those final rounds. Biceps were cramping from that inward pull to the bar.