CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Robert Fontaine

Profile:
Power Cleans - Pain in the Chest?

I'm currently working on the Starting Strength program and I've found a new pain I can't quite figure out what to do about.

I'd appreciate it if someone can give it a name for me. I'm currently calling it Nancy.

When I do power cleans in the last set or two of (3x5) when my muscular strength begins to wane I am getting a fairly sharp pain in my chest/shoulder tie-in right by the teres minor. Feels like a tendon issue. There is a short term loss of strength but no obvious bruising to the touch afterword.

What tendon runs along here and what's a guy to do about Nancy?

Thanks,
Bob

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...c4/Gray810.png
Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Tom Meehan

Profile:
Re: Power Cleans - Pain in the Chest?

What have you tried to relieve the pain - NSAIDS, RICE, trigger point work, stetching etc? Is the area tender, any bruising? Any reduced range of motion in the shoulder?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:20 AM   #3
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Hi Robert,

may it be that you are hunching your shoulders forward before the pull and shrug (instead of having them straight back with tight lats)?

The shrug should be straight upwards, and slightly precede the jump.

You may be pulling the bar upwards with hunched shoulders instead of jumping and shrugging it straight up.

That would explain overuse problems on the teres minor, which has the function of adduction, outside rotation and retroversion of the arm.

Of course, for immediate problem resolution, self-massage should be helpful. You can use a tennis ball or baseball while lying on the ground, or put it in a sock and hang it over your shoulder while leaning against a wall.

Just my 2 cents,

Christian
Old 09-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Robert Fontaine

Profile:

I've had crappy shoulder tendons for faaar to long and didn't rehab them properly. The right shoulder is sligthly impinged and the tendon in the middle of my delt gets inflamed.

with regard to rehab... I am being fairly proactive with them

(RICE)
rest - i take an extra rest day as needed.
ice - 3-5 times a day

(MEAT)
I'm doing easy dislocates and light hangs from a bar to release tension and improve mobility.

I'm continuing with a balance of shoulder press and chest press (S.S. program)

Analgesis - love my a535.

Therapy - I've been self massaging aggressive 2-3 times per week // cross-tendon, ART, tennis ball.

Slowly improving..... (a little better every week as long as I don't reinjure)

The dropping my shoulders and losing form response is something that I will work with. If I can avoid bad form I hope to get healed without dropping power cleans. I reallly like the exercise.

Thanks for the inputs.l
-Bob