CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Robert Vest

Profile:
combat challenge firefighters

How many of you crossfit firefighters are also combat challenge competitors ?
I was just curious. I ran in my first challenge on 8/15 in Altus, OK, my time was 2:55. I sitll have some work to do. I'm going to Tyler, TX on 9/5 then to St. Louis sometime in October. Just wanted to introduce myself and see how many other combat challenge people we had here. Stay safe everyone !
Old 08-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
Carl Pawluk

Profile:
Re: combat challenge firefighters

Robert,

I did a combat challenge a couple of years ago, and 1 last year. Both times were around 2:30ish. I wasn't doing Crossfit though. We've got some guys going to Milwaukee in Sept. and I'm going to Akron on October 3rd and 4th. I really think a realistic time for me this time is sub 1:50. Crossfit has made me so much stronger especially in the core. So much of the challenge is core related as with all firefighting work. We've got a course set up at one of our firehouses and our Combat Team is gonna run it tomorrow. I haven't done the course since mid summer last year. I'll let you know if there's much improvement now that I'm a crossfitter.

Welcome!

-Carl
Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
W. Geoffrey Miller

Profile:

I've been running the Combat Challenge for three years now. I started off with a 2:23 in Elkton, MD back in 1995 and my PR stands at 2:07 which was in Elkton, MD last year. There are a number of Combat Challenge competitors who follow CrossFit. Brandon Cunningham and David Bowman are just two of the world-class competitors that come to mind. There are a number of others as well who have seen great improvements in their PR by following CF.

Good luck in knocking your PR down. The Challenge is an incredibly difficult, yet incredibly addicting sport. Keep plugging away at CF and variants of the WOD and I guarantee you that your PR will drop. CF and the Challenge are very similar in the sense that you have to push your body through the pain and go "above and beyond". The show is only starting when the lactic acid is settling in.

A lot of training talk and Challenge-related posting occurs at this site: http://claytonchallenge.com/bb/ Feel free to join up and you'll gather a wide spectrum of information from the top competitors.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Firefighter here. I always partake in the Florida Fire Games but have yet to do the combat challenge. I would LOVE to get involved. I have never even "been through" the course.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
Dave Coughlin

Profile:

I gave it a try last May, in Gainesville. 2:35 IIRC. I was trying for sub-3, so I was pleased despite the big difference in time compared to the top guys. It's pretty fun, but kind of expensive for something that's done in two minutes-plus. With tax cuts, our FD wasn't much-to-any help, financially; a;though I was able to get my hands on some challenge turnout gear.

I'll probably make the trips to the Florida ones next year.

Too bad the Browns are on a bye week, the week of the Akron Challenge, or else I'd be there!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
W. Geoffrey Miller

Profile:

I pretty much stick to regional competitions because, as you mention, there is quite a bit of cost involved in traveling nationwide to follow the circuit. A few times a year is enough punishment for me! The guys that excel are the ones who run the course frequently throughout the year because like so many other things in life, there is no substitute for experience.

My only competitor when I'm on the course is myself and the perpetual quest to get faster each time I run. I'll never be on the same level as many of the top guys, but I enjoy the challenge and it gives me motivation to train along with helping to stay in shape for the job.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
Steve Ericson

Profile:

The combat challenge has come through Seattle for the last 3 years now and have hit it every time. I do it with a team though and I am the stair guy. This past July is the first time I have done the combat challenge since crossfiting (started in Feb) and I can honestly say that I went from on of the weakest links on the team to the strongest! We have done quite well and qualify for the worlds each year but so far we are too cheap to go just to get beat by Travis AFB, I swear all those guys do is train for the combat challenge.