CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-21-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
Mike Quon

Profile:
I've been reading this book for the past week or so after seeing it sitting at my Parent's house. It's interesting when the Author goes into details about effective exercise for fat loss and overall health and longevity. Throughout the entire book he refers to doing everything in a "hormonally correct" manner.

In regards to exercise, he talks about two types of intensity:

effort intensity: basically, how hard you push yourself.

relative intensity: basically, finding new modes of exercise that you are not accustomed to.

In a nutshell, both of these combined are referred to as anabolic intensity. As I read this, particularly the part about relative intensity it felt familiar to me for obvious reasons.

Now I'll be honest, I'm not really a Crossfitter per se, but this REALLY made me question my current training approach and the lack of variety. And while I don't specialize in any given sport my training is pretty much the same from day to day. I'm gonna make a conscious effort to mix things up more and not get stuck in any sort of "routine."

Anyways, I know this is an obvious post to most of the people here but whatever.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Boy, I just saw the thread name and was settin' up to move it to "Nutrition" . . . and you proved me wrong.

CrossFit always seems to be bringing me back to stuff I'm not good at . . . I think I'll go on trying to plumb the nuances of the Olympic lifts for years.

But I agree it's very easy to get into a rut on a common set of (metabolically demanding) stuff like pullups, thrusters, etc.

One way out of this to commit to truly doing the WOD as Rx'd . . . *especially* if you don't like whatever is called for that day (e.g., 10 x 100 sprints, or a 10K run, or whatever).

Another is to follow the standard (but often overlooked) CrossFit principle: learn and play new sport regularly. (I can assure you, there's nothing like getting trashed by a 15-year-old (girl) at something you've never done before to humble you.)

And finally, there's just plain being inventive. I passed three guys today who were just doing "sprawls":

stand, drop to floor, face down on belly, lift arms and legs, stand, drop to floor (on back), arms over head, stand, repeat.

Doesn't sound like much, but after 20 reps they were huffing, and I would have been if I were doing it.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Butch White

Profile:

Yes... I agree with David... do the WOD as Rx'ed ESPECIALLY if you don't like what is prescribed for on that day... getting out of your comfort zone is one of the aspects of CF that makes it both fun and rewarding.

"Natural Hormone Enhancement" is a good book full of good info regarding both training and diet... well worth the read.